Raw Food: What about rice and tea? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-09-2004, 02:10 PM

I don't know that much about being a raw foodist, so I was wondering if you can eat rice, since it absorbs all the water that it's cooked in. Or is it above the temperature that is considered raw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Heating anything above the temperature of between 105-115 is not considered raw. That would mean that tea, rice and many other things are not raw. Dehydrated fruit for instance, unless it is sun-dried or you check with the manufaterer or processor as to the temperature used. Also nutritional yeast, miso, braggs, most "Raw" sugars, wild rices and cashews are not really raw either.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 08-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought tea was fine since you can make Sun Tea, which doesn't get above that temp. You can steep tea in pretty warm water and get strong tea, although, you'd have to find fresh tea leaves which might be kinda hard.

Also, since tea has no calories, I thought you could drink it as it has no effect on your 'raw calorie" intake. I might be wrong about that, though.

Rice is usually processed pretty heavily, isn't it? I'm sure you can find acceptible raw rice in an organic health food store, but if you can't, you could always sprout the brown or wild rice you buy in the grocery store. I've done that and made a salad out of it. It was good. That way your making raw food out of a processed food item. Just don't use white rice. (blech!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-10-2004, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnyc View Post

I thought tea was fine since you can make Sun Tea, which doesn't get above that temp. You can steep tea in pretty warm water and get strong tea, although, you'd have to find fresh tea leaves which might be kinda hard.

Also, since tea has no calories, I thought you could drink it as it has no effect on your 'raw calorie" intake. I might be wrong about that, though.

Rice is usually processed pretty heavily, isn't it? I'm sure you can find acceptible raw rice in an organic health food store, but if you can't, you could always sprout the brown or wild rice you buy in the grocery store. I've done that and made a salad out of it. It was good. That way your making raw food out of a processed food item. Just don't use white rice. (blech!)

Right, sun teas are not "cooked" if the temperature doesn't reach above 105-115 degrees. . I posted that on another thread. However, Wild rice is usually not raw when you buy it at the store- it is treated at high temperatures before packing. That's why it splits like it does. The thread on "Food that are considered "raw"..." has a good list of foods thought to be raw that are not.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page