VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Raw Food Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/188-raw-food-support-forum/)
-   -   Raw Food: What about rice and tea? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/188-raw-food-support-forum/19067-raw-food-what-about-rice-tea.html)

GhostUser 08-09-2004 02:10 PM

I don't know that much about being a raw foodist, so I was wondering if you can eat rice, since it absorbs all the water that it's cooked in. Or is it above the temperature that is considered raw?

*AHIMSA* 08-09-2004 02:19 PM

Heating anything above the temperature of between 105-115 is not considered raw. That would mean that tea, rice and many other things are not raw. Dehydrated fruit for instance, unless it is sun-dried or you check with the manufaterer or processor as to the temperature used. Also nutritional yeast, miso, braggs, most "Raw" sugars, wild rices and cashews are not really raw either.

Coney 08-10-2004 12:26 PM

I thought tea was fine since you can make Sun Tea, which doesn't get above that temp. You can steep tea in pretty warm water and get strong tea, although, you'd have to find fresh tea leaves which might be kinda hard.

Also, since tea has no calories, I thought you could drink it as it has no effect on your 'raw calorie" intake. I might be wrong about that, though.

Rice is usually processed pretty heavily, isn't it? I'm sure you can find acceptible raw rice in an organic health food store, but if you can't, you could always sprout the brown or wild rice you buy in the grocery store. I've done that and made a salad out of it. It was good. That way your making raw food out of a processed food item. Just don't use white rice. (blech!)

*AHIMSA* 08-10-2004 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnyc View Post

I thought tea was fine since you can make Sun Tea, which doesn't get above that temp. You can steep tea in pretty warm water and get strong tea, although, you'd have to find fresh tea leaves which might be kinda hard.

Also, since tea has no calories, I thought you could drink it as it has no effect on your 'raw calorie" intake. I might be wrong about that, though.

Rice is usually processed pretty heavily, isn't it? I'm sure you can find acceptible raw rice in an organic health food store, but if you can't, you could always sprout the brown or wild rice you buy in the grocery store. I've done that and made a salad out of it. It was good. That way your making raw food out of a processed food item. Just don't use white rice. (blech!)

Right, sun teas are not "cooked" if the temperature doesn't reach above 105-115 degrees. . I posted that on another thread. However, Wild rice is usually not raw when you buy it at the store- it is treated at high temperatures before packing. That's why it splits like it does. The thread on "Food that are considered "raw"..." has a good list of foods thought to be raw that are not.