Stupid question about raw veganism. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

#1 Old 06-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Stupid question about raw veganism.

So, Australia is mighty cold right now (Global warming, more like global COOLING am I right you guys? HUR HUR HUR HUR).

I've been able to have raw stuff through the summer and spring, but I don't know how you do it in winter.

I'm not planning on going raw completely, but I think there are obvious benefits to it and it seems silly to stop those benefits in the colder months. The problem being, I really enjoy hot food even when it's 40 degrees outside.

So, raw friends (specifically those who don't cook food at all, I know there's meant to be a difference of opinion on that), how do you handle winter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2015, 04:03 PM

Red face I Get so many Stupid and Hurtful questions!!

I get so many questions being a High Raw Vegan like "why would you do that to yourself" why don't you just give up"... Its soo discouraging and annoying!! on youtube I have a blog where I talk about how I became a High Raw vegan and my love for food and helping animals, fitness and health!! It would mean a lot if you guys went and checked it out!! Please and thank you guys!! Its so nice to find a community of people that you can be yourself with and talk about things that you are passionate and excited about!! I post videos every Tuesdays and Thursday so go check it out beautiful people!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUa...z0LQXFuvNv0LiA
#3 Old 07-22-2015, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

By moving to a warmer climate!!!

Caring about our health is caring about our very state of being and future which is a very good thing to be seriously concerned about making the most of.

http://TRUEHEALTHHAPPENS.COM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-22-2015, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

I really don't belong here but I thought it meant for people to ask stupid questions.
Anyway, I do have a couple-
First, wouldn't it be really impractical for raw to become mainstream? You guys eat way more than your share. In the winter would you import foods, or eat fermented things that are preserved?

and second... What's with the term "High Raw"?

AND I'd like to say I miss my favorite raw VB'er Penny79.
#5 Old 07-22-2015, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthios View Post
By moving to a warmer climate!!!
Haha!
I live in Australia, how much warmer am I meant to get? :P

But I am serious about wanting to know the answer.
#6 Old 07-23-2015, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I have heard of people who bundle up to eat raw foodist style meals in the winter (gloves, scarves, hats)... I suppose it would come down to how raw you want to be. I would shank someone for a bowl of hot vegan chili in the winter, so I am clearly not of the right temperment.
#7 Old 07-23-2015, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Don't you have indoor heating?

Could you eat your meals with a hot cup of tea?
Vegan Dave likes this.
#8 Old 07-23-2015, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Raw food actually provides more energy which converts to body heat.
For a luxury, tea and tomato soup and adding some cooked in with raw.
Temperature is a mind over matter thing. Improved acclimation can be extensive. And desire is a pull from habits and addictions. Most raw food practice involves discipline which breaks through these barriers.
In other words, many raw food eaters don't care about luxury or indulgence, but whether or not what is consumed provides an optimum energy.
A healthy cold meal may not provide the mouth and tummy with 15 to 30 minutes or so, of warmth but can provide 3 to 6 hours or more of very good durable energy.
The strengths that some experienced long term practitioners posses is really incredible and can be very helpfully influential to experience. To pass up a delicious meal and instead eat sprouts covered in olive oil and knowing that that is the smarter thing to do. You can see it in their eyes and feel the energy. For a while I lived up north where winters are harsh in a community with some who were raw and they were pretty energetic. I knew a girl who would go out in the cold morning rain or shine and it was often rain, and would collect wild plants to make delicious salads... I could normally not dare to go out if I didn't have to, but it was such a beautiful thing and such a beautiful experience that I eventually became a dependable helper.
Yet still, acclimation to cold is also a different thing in itself. And really, I end up migrating to warmer areas.
Purp likes this.

Caring about our health is caring about our very state of being and future which is a very good thing to be seriously concerned about making the most of.

#9 Old 07-23-2015, 11:53 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

With raw you can usually heat things to 140F (or is it 120F?). I find this warmth still provides the comfy feeling you want from soup.
Purp and Tiger Lilly like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#10 Old 07-23-2015, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I really don't belong here but I thought it meant for people to ask stupid questions.
Anyway, I do have a couple-
First, wouldn't it be really impractical for raw to become mainstream? You guys eat way more than your share. In the winter would you import foods, or eat fermented things that are preserved?

and second... What's with the term "High Raw"?

AND I'd like to say I miss my favorite raw VB'er Penny79.
Actually raw food is the best way to conserve food because so much energy is wasted in processing. So a raw food diet may require more of eating to maintain weight, there is not much wasted food and energy in the process. While processing food creates tons of energy loss (a very large percentage) which is a disgrace to the farming and natural process which provides fresh produce.

Import foods in winter? many foods are imported year around in many places now a-days. It is hard to get good fresh produce that is palatable when raw and can require a good source - store or shipment delivery or farm - or location. Or self-sustaining ability through planting and sprouting.

High raw just means mostly or 100% raw. I never heard it before and looked it up.

Everybody belongs here.
Purp likes this.

#11 Old 07-23-2015, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Of course non of these are stupid questions. Just talking about it reminds me and my diet just magically sways for the better. I was hoping this would happen so thanks. I hope I can help you with your journey also.
Purp and Tiger Lilly like this.

#12 Old 07-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Actually raw food is the best way to conserve food because so much energy is wasted in processing. So a raw food diet may require more of eating to maintain weight, there is not much wasted food and energy in the process. While processing food creates tons of energy loss (a very large percentage) which is a disgrace to the farming and natural process which provides fresh produce.

Import foods in winter? many foods are imported year around in many places now a-days. It is hard to get good fresh produce that is palatable when raw and can require a good source - store or shipment delivery or farm - or location. Or self-sustaining ability through planting and sprouting.

High raw just means mostly or 100% raw. I never heard it before and looked it up.

Everybody belongs here.
I never considered all the waste with processing!
Which brings up something else that's bugged me. SO much of the fresh fruit, and to a much lesser extent veggies, I buy aren't very good. This year berries have been excellent, but I had to pitch a whole watermelon that was pretty much rotten inside, and a cantelope that showed every sign of ripeness was quite under ripe. Today a peach that seemed perfect was flavorless and mealy.
Now I can buy frozen, or canned fruit, and they're always very much the same. Frozen veggies are pretty much perfect.
I love good fruits but can't go out of my way to get them

What do you think of hydroponic indoor gardens? I recall seeing a high rise greenhouse in I believe, Russia that was amazing
Tiger Lilly likes this.
#13 Old 07-23-2015, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

I remember Penny saying to eat spicy foods in the cooler weather. Like a raw chili with hot peppers
River, Purp, LedBoots and 1 others like this.
#14 Old 07-23-2015, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know much about hydroponic gardening. Or why to grow food like that.
Silva, there are certain produce or vegetables that you can't eat because of a bad reaction you receive from them?
Purp likes this.

#15 Old 07-23-2015, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Why I'm glad you asked... Yes! when i eat too much raw veggies, esp zucchini, it just sits really high on my midsection and pains me--like I ate tree mulch. I have pains for hours and pray for somekind of gas to relieve me. I'm not talking about a lot- like maybe a small one. I always make sure to chew well. I can eat leafy greens fine, and my salads usually have some cooked components in them like beans, and some fats like olives or dressing so they're fine. Cucumber, peppers, even raw tomatoes make me belch and get bloated. Carrots, snap peas, summer squash all just don't digest well at all.

I can eat all beans, all soybean products, all grains and seitan without any problem which puzzles me even more that I can;t digest raw veggies. Fruits are fine, and cooked veggies are fantastic
Tiger Lilly likes this.
#16 Old 07-23-2015, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Was it like that when you were real young also? I actually take interest in learning things about how foods react so I'll try to see if I can find what it could be. I think I asked you before and you didn't answer... do you think it could be allergic reactions? (I have to leave the internet now until tomorrow).

#17 Old 07-23-2015, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think it was like that when i was young, but i was never a fan of raw veggies-i tried more as a veg'n i think
As far as i know i'm only allergic to avocados, and that comes as vomiting.
i did a google search on it and there are a lot of people tht describe it as i do - the feeling of eating mulch.
I can't say it bothers me-i really don't care much for raw, i just find it curious tht other insoluble fiber I'm fine with, just not raw veggies. Oh, i have tried peeling first. Poops bad after them too

I am fine with lightly cooked veggies, and surprisingly
if i julienne kale and rub with a oil and vinegar dressing i'm okay with that.
the whole 'live enzymes' that digest much easier is just so opposite with me!
#18 Old 07-23-2015, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried 100% raw twice, each time for about a week. The first time I was freezing all the time and it was miserable (and it was winter in NE Minnesota by Lake Superior). Even in a warm house I was cold. The second time I did more of an all fruit with a few leafy greens type of raw (the first time I included nuts/seeds and sprouted beans/grains). I kept my fruit at room temperature and I did not get as cold as the first go and it was winter. I couldn't stomach all that sweet food all day every day for long though, and I really missed cooked food. I didn't feel all raw fruits and leafy greens gave me the energy I needed for two hours of exercise each day, five hours at work, and five hours of studying in school. But I admit I was not eating near enough. I also had bowel movements sometimes five to ten times per day. I was eating fifteen to sixteen servings of fruits/leafy greens each day and my body was not used to it at all (before then I was eating five to seven servings of fruits/veggies which is about what I eat now). A more gradual shift would have been helpful. I was also very underweight which didn't help. And I spent quite a bit of money and time buying and transporting all that produce since it doesn't keep long. My second go of it I rarely used the blender, never used a dehydrator, ate everything whole and raw. I did as little food prep as possible to save energy. But it always bothered me that I spent so much money on stuff like bananas and pineapples which were shipped from afar, and the banana trade is a controversial one at that. But then I guess there are a lot of foods with an unpleasant history behind their making.
River, Purp and leedsveg like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#19 Old 07-24-2015, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

It seems raw foods don't help their own digestion directly, they provide more nourishment to assist the body with the energy-consuming process of creating enzymes which help digestion and are responsible for almost all chemical reactions that maintain our life process.
Plant enzymes get broken down into nutrients. There are a lot of things that inhibit not just digestive enzyme production but enzymes which manage our vital life processes. To understand this more on an intellectual level it could help to do a study on enzymes, what they do and what destroys them.
Our body doesn't always just simply quickly grasp all different changes that we make to it, but for some changes it requires an adjustment period. A quick change to a better diet will start it on it's way to being a more efficient organism, it will not suddenly become one. One of many examples can be seen how whole cultures that are unaccustomed to lactose are more lactose intolerant. Another example to how we also don't easily adjust, including what could be on a physiological level is how an alcoholic can relapse with one drink even after many years of absence (an alcoholic is always an alcoholic) Just think how that can translate to our food addictions and why we so often fail.
So a (or some) persons wishing to transform into a healthier organism doesn't need anything but an understanding of natural process and determination to persist until the body and mind becomes a purer substance. Even most raw food eaters aren't preaching eccentricity but giving and providing and encouraging and trying to inspire this helpful persistence.
/
I relation to cold.... your body is no longer producing heat with the same material it is accustomed to producing heat with. It would eventually adjust. But how long this could take is questionable. Truth is, is that sometimes these changes that we wish for may take way longer than we wish, some changes do not, but some, well, they may even appear to never happen they take so long.
Purp likes this.

#20 Old 07-24-2015, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I don't think it was like that when i was young, but i was never a fan of raw veggies-i tried more as a veg'n i think
i did a google search on it and there are a lot of people tht describe it as i do - the feeling of eating mulch.
I can't say it bothers me-i really don't care much for raw, i just find it curious tht other insoluble fiber I'm fine with, just not raw veggies. Oh, i have tried peeling first. Poops bad after them too

There could be numerous reasons why for some reason your body (seems) to not be producing the enzymes to digest certain foods... if that is what is going on there. Whether you don't care for eating the vegetables raw anyway, there is something there that isn't working right for some reason. A study up on enzymes is an amazing topic, they play such a major role in life process.
These aren't the best informative sources just a couple of easy to watch videos that got looked up real quick.

#21 Old 07-25-2015, 05:25 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

I don't understand the enzyme thing, I have not seen anything scientific on it.

The fact that julienned foods were more digestible gives me a hint that inadequate chewing of foods may be a contributor. Also, some people have low stomach acid, which makes food just sit there in the stomach. Apple cider vinegar can help with this. And people take too many antacids imo.

I despise raw zucchini, but love it cooked.
#22 Old 07-25-2015, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Enzymes are related to the vitality - life force in plants and animals. They manifest chemical reactions for life functions. Aging involves loss of this vitality - and enzyme action. How literally enzymes are involved at the very source of life (without exaggerating it) is interesting to look at because in a way they seem to play such an essential role.

#23 Old 07-25-2015, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Raw food practice is nothing new (like some like to say) there were sects of Essenes back in biblical times practicing it. A sense for life vitality is all it takes to understand it. Factual scientific descriptions end up supporting it.
I prefer a diet with cooked like most everybody else but I know what is better than what I'm presently doing. We can't always live up to the strongest of the ideals we have experienced benefit from. We can try to do our best.

#24 Old 07-25-2015, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Don't you have indoor heating?

Could you eat your meals with a hot cup of tea?
Not really.

It gets really expensive to run a heater, let alone at the temperature I'd need it at in order want to want to eat anything raw (40 degree days are an average summer day to me, even then....I'd eat a roast for reasons I can't explain :P).

The hot tea is a good idea! I usually try to have tea with my meals now, to help with digestion anyway.

Quote:
Raw food actually provides more energy which converts to body heat.
For a luxury, tea and tomato soup and adding some cooked in with raw.
Temperature is a mind over matter thing. Improved acclimation can be extensive. And desire is a pull from habits and addictions. Most raw food practice involves discipline which breaks through these barriers.
In other words, many raw food eaters don't care about luxury or indulgence, but whether or not what is consumed provides an optimum energy.
Mmmm, maybe that's where I'm falling short.... I have been known to eat entire blocks of chocolate in one sitting. Indulgence is kind of my 'thing'.

Quote:
A healthy cold meal may not provide the mouth and tummy with 15 to 30 minutes or so, of warmth but can provide 3 to 6 hours or more of very good durable energy.
The strengths that some experienced long term practitioners posses is really incredible and can be very helpfully influential to experience. To pass up a delicious meal and instead eat sprouts covered in olive oil and knowing that that is the smarter thing to do. You can see it in their eyes and feel the energy. For a while I lived up north where winters are harsh in a community with some who were raw and they were pretty energetic. I knew a girl who would go out in the cold morning rain or shine and it was often rain, and would collect wild plants to make delicious salads... I could normally not dare to go out if I didn't have to, but it was such a beautiful thing and such a beautiful experience that I eventually became a dependable helper.
Yet still, acclimation to cold is also a different thing in itself. And really, I end up migrating to warmer areas.
Like I say, migrating somewhere warmer isn't really a thing for me :P Especially when my job sort of means I have to stay in one place. But it's very interesting, to think about the energy benefits of eating raw in the long term. Maybe I should try and remember that when I have to choose between a piece of fruit and a roast veggie
no whey jose likes this.
#25 Old 07-26-2015, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

This is a very informative and interesting thread!
I watched the video on enzymes and it got to me thinking about the difference in what I can and can't tolerate.
I love sprouted seeds- usually mung or alfalfa. I'll easily eat a sprout tomato and mayo sandwich or liberally eat them on salad
I can eat lots of cole slaw with just cabbage, or some carrots
And I do chew very well. thats another reason I slice raw things thinly.

I'm wondering if this can be an allergy?
It is mainly zucchini that causes the reaction I describe-not wanting to go down or disgest. It's my favorite raw veggie, usually half peeled

Tigerlily- do you have a high speed blender? How about soups with ginger and hot peppers?
Hows Australia on using solar energy?
Or underground dwelling?
LedBoots likes this.
#26 Old 07-26-2015, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Sweetening raw carob with frozen banana etc (smoothies) or with raw nut butters etc and a raw form of sugar can indulge. ....All you want of eating healthy -good for you raw food.
Here is a thing about cooked. When they are eaten, they are best in flavor and nutrition when cooked lightly. And many foods require a different amount of time to soften, so the idea is to not overcook anything. Add them is sequence to how long they take and under-cooking them (a lot) is actually a good way to make them remain flavorful. We are not accustomed to the texture of under-cooked vegetables so it seems odd to do at first, but it can actually tastes and feel better that way.
Sometimes the choice to eat raw can depend on the quality and freshness of the vegetables. They are harder to eat raw when they are not high quality and fresh.
It isn't necessary to be eccentric, but there is a noticeable difference the more raw that is the diet. And when it is all raw the energy is also noticeable. We can actually get to the point to where we crave the feelings that raw food provides to the point to where we don't care about how it tastes. And then possibly notice that it tastes pretty good raw.
Cutting things up a lot shredding them helps with a good salad dressing. Juicing too.

#27 Old 07-26-2015, 08:58 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
(40 degree days are an average summer day to me, even then....I'd eat a roast for reasons I can't explain :P)
Same! The added heat of the oven in an already hot house is worth it for roasted anything

So, uhh, I don't really have anything to add to the main subject.. But I just wanted to remind you that hot water bottles are super good at warming you up! I don't know, sometimes I forget they exist and how awesome they are and thought you may have as well Also, wheat bags and those little cuddly toys that have those microwavable inserts.

Ok, I'm out. Continue on with the raw food talk!
#28 Old 07-26-2015, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
This is a very informative and interesting thread!
I watched the video on enzymes and it got to me thinking about the difference in what I can and can't tolerate.
I love sprouted seeds- usually mung or alfalfa. I'll easily eat a sprout tomato and mayo sandwich or liberally eat them on salad
I can eat lots of cole slaw with just cabbage, or some carrots
And I do chew very well. thats another reason I slice raw things thinly.

I'm wondering if this can be an allergy?
It is mainly zucchini that causes the reaction I describe-not wanting to go down or disgest. It's my favorite raw veggie, usually half peeled

Tigerlily- do you have a high speed blender? How about soups with ginger and hot peppers?
Hows Australia on using solar energy?
Or underground dwelling?
It would also be a good idea to study Celiac disease. Symptoms include - Digestive problems (abdominal bloating, pain, gas, diarrhea, pale stools, and weight loss).
I don't know if this refers to digestion in general or only when gluten is eaten but it is a common and often un-diagnosed and misdiagnosed ailment.

#29 Old 07-26-2015, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Celiac disease is all about gluten, which I disgest quite happily as i do everything except some raw veggies, like zucchini.

Celiac disease -
Digestive problems (abdominal bloating, pain, gas, diarrhea, pale stools, and weight loss)
A severe skin rash called dermatitis herpetiformis
Iron deficiency anemia (low blood count)
Musculoskeletal problems (muscle cramps, joint and bone pain)
Growth problems and failure to thrive (in children)
Seizures
Tingling sensation in the legs (caused by nerve damage and low calcium)
Aphthous ulcers (sores in the mouth)
Missed menstrual periods

I have none of these.
I simply find it odd that it's only these veggies raw that are so hard for me to break down when all other foods known to be hard to digest I'm fine with. It isn't a fiber issue, soluble or non-soluble
Everyone with other food issues are just told to avoid them, I don't understand when I bring it up it's something I'm told i should correct, rather than just avoid. It isn't even like everyone even eats raw zucchini!
#30 Old 07-26-2015, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

This site intriques me enough to try enzymes.
http://bodyecology.com/articles/raw_...s_bloating.php
WHat is funny is that it says to never eat cruciferous foods raw, like broccoli or cabbage. I love cole slaw!
I am going to try eating more sauerkraut and other fermented foods,
THey also say zucchini is one of the more easily digested raw foods! Phooey!

Hey, how about kimchi for cooler weather? with sushi ginger!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page