• 2 Post By Enthios
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By cuberail
  • 1 Post By Kiwibird08
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 04-22-2015, 09:06 AM
No flesh since 99'

10 days of 100% raw, this is TOUGH!

As many of you know, I've been converting to a raw diet since last summer. I've been somewhere between 80-90% raw and eating just a couple cooked meals a week. Well, I finally decided to bite the bullet and go all-in, 100% raw. I thought, being as I was eating such a high percentage raw for some time, it would be easy. WRONG! First 5 or so days were fine (as mentioned, I haven't been eating much cooked food for months). Day 6 and I woke up craving all kinds of junk food. I have never gotten such strong cravings in my life! I know it's just my body being bad since I'm not craving 'healthier' things like rice or oats. No, I'm craving things I haven't eaten in a LONG time like pizza and (vegan) bbq "chicken" sandwiches and chocolate, which aren't exactly 'nutritious' foods. This whole raw thing is a major test of will power with the cravings! Still, even though I've been craving junk food, I've felt (much to my disbelief) even MORE energy than at 80-90% raw (and I already thought I was bouncing off the walls with energy). I track everything I eat in chronometer and am OVER my nutritional goals every day and on-track with caloric intake needs.

Any ideas where these cravings for foods I haven't eaten in going on a year came from all of a sudden? Anyone experience anything similar? And when will they go away lol?
varun and no whey jose like this.

Last edited by Kiwibird08; 04-22-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-22-2015, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
Any ideas where these cravings for foods I haven't eaten in going on a year came from all of a sudden? Anyone experience anything similar? And when will they go away lol?
I think its for the most part a subconscious craving for oil/deep fried/artificially sweetened foods which is of course, missing from an all natural raw diet. For example if you eat something salty you'd get a thirst craving next, or when you eat too much fast food you'd remember simpler home-cooked food which won't hurt you all that much. Its how everyone's thinking is wired I guess, our minds use guilt/cravings to want the exact opposite of what we're eating at that moment.

There's nothing wrong in that, its just like people day dream of a vacation during a boring work day That's why it is difficult for people to follow a 100% raw diet everyday, the mind seeks variety. Likewise if one couldn't stomach a particular dish once, he/she would still gag the next time they see the dish, taste is like a memory imprint in the mind. You can either ignore the cravings or give into it once so that the mind gets over it (what the hell is a vegan bbq chicken sandwich?). Most often when I crave something (which is rare) and I immediately have it, it tastes absolutely terrible Weird.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#3 Old 04-22-2015, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Such cravings will never really completely go away. But they will slowly become less pronounced with time. There is so much to the psychological changes going on that it takes lots of work and focus to go through adaptation. Because its a complete change with how you relate to life. Influences in all relations and emotional reactions effect desires. The Idea and goal is to get to the point to where you desire and crave all the good things that comes from such a good diet.
Raw Carob powder can replace chocolate, it's delicious in fruit (especially frozen or fresh banana) smoothies / or mixed with raw nut butters and sweetened (probably Stevia is best choice) makes candybar like sweets.
Juicing vegetables especially carrots is delicious (crave carrot juice and you can live off it for weeks).
Getting good at making salads also.
Such delicious raw food creates cravings.
That sounds easy but nobody knows what self-discipline means and how weak we are and how much strength it takes to conquer our unhealthy desire choices unless they try to conquer a regularly maintained raw diet.
It is no easy way to go. It is rarely if ever completely mastered. No pain, no gain may well describe the process. But the gains are fantastic.
Animals accomplish it although they don't often get a concentrated healthy variety of food. They don't have much choice. So they enjoy what they get accustomed to. We can get accustomed to whatever we choose to if self-discipline ability has reason and/or inspiration.
I guess that having cravings serves a purpose in life and we can mostly only redirect them more so than reduce them. ?
Also a lifestyle change can create hindering inconveniences. Possibly enough to throw off successes.
"all of a sudden" cravings could be a large number of things such as a conditioned thoughts or feelings, distractions or influences... that you haven't yet got in good control. They are always going to be there to some (more or less) extent.
And there is a difference to acclimation adjustments when for example you wade into cold water slowly than when you just jump in and endure. But the mental (and to some extent physical) strength has to be there either way.
no whey jose likes this.

Caring about our health is caring about our very state of being and future which is a very good thing to be seriously concerned about making the most of.

http://TRUEHEALTHHAPPENS.COM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-22-2015, 01:22 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Eat moar fats, that might help.
Brain Floss likes this.
#5 Old 04-22-2015, 01:38 PM
No flesh since 99'

Thanks everyone. I am happy being raw, and have learned many excellent and delicious recipes over the past 9 months. As I mentioned, I didn't just start going raw 10 days ago, I just went all the way raw 10 days ago. I've been at 89-90% raw for about 9 months. I have already discovered carob and I try to keep my fat intake reasonable (I do soaked nuts and avocados). I don't use sweeteners, as fruit is sweet enough and I don't feel crystalline sugar replacements fit into a fruit/veg/nut/seed diet (even if touted as natural and plant based).

It's just strange to me after months of eating very little cooked food (and what I was eating was not junk, it was low fat, mainly rice or oats and not every day) that all of a sudden, I want all this junk food after going 100% raw.

Oh, and it was a buffalo "chicken" sandwich, not BBQ (don't I feel stupid!) from a local vegan restaurant
#6 Old 04-22-2015, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Figure that for every amount of time and energy involved that we indulged it can require an equal amount of time and energy to change or adapt away from the action or experience.
LedBoots and Kiwibird08 like this.

Caring about our health is caring about our very state of being and future which is a very good thing to be seriously concerned about making the most of.

#7 Old 04-22-2015, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

For me, intense cravings for odd foods came in two ways.

1. Not eating nearly enough over a long period of time and having lost way too much weight so that certain hormones were triggered to counteract this and "help" me survive (insulin, leptin, gherlin etc). This especially happened when I cut fat too low or carbs too low.

2. When I went all gluten free soy free for a while, or tried all raw for a few weeks, I had intense cravings and I am fairly certain most of that was psychological. When you suddenly realize you are not going to allow yourself foods you took for granted or never thought about before, suddenly they become so much more important lol. I couldn't do the all raw deal. I did the gluten free soy free for quite a long time and did well on it as far as finding enjoyable food but ultimately stopped it for personal and health reasons.
Kiwibird08 likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 04-22-2015, 07:26 PM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
For me, intense cravings for odd foods came in two ways.

1. Not eating nearly enough over a long period of time and having lost way too much weight so that certain hormones were triggered to counteract this and "help" me survive (insulin, leptin, gherlin etc). This especially happened when I cut fat too low or carbs too low.

2. When I went all gluten free soy free for a while, or tried all raw for a few weeks, I had intense cravings and I am fairly certain most of that was psychological. When you suddenly realize you are not going to allow yourself foods you took for granted or never thought about before, suddenly they become so much more important lol. I couldn't do the all raw deal. I did the gluten free soy free for quite a long time and did well on it as far as finding enjoyable food but ultimately stopped it for personal and health reasons.
Your right, it probably is more psychological than anything else. I have been very careful over this journey to monitor my caloric and nutritional intake to be sure I'm not under eating. I'm sticking to about 2000 calories a day and a wide range of fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts and sprouts. Though, I probably will still eat cooked food on occasion, just not every week, and I'd like to go a couple months of 100% raw. I think restricting myself too much isn't a mentally healthy thing to try to do, though I would like to keep cooked foods to a rare treat and leave it at that. I've been feeling fantastic other than craving junk food (which I know would make me feel not so fantastic if I ate it). Raw foods really seems to be a good way of eating for my body
#9 Old 05-01-2015, 06:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
There was a six-week period in my life where I was eating nothing but oatmeal, fruit, cruciferous vegetables, beans, sesame seeds, air-popped popcorn, brown rice, and no oil. NO OIL as Dr. Campbell puts it in his most sinister, threatening voice. Not raw except for the fruit, but very restrictive.

I felt fantastic!

But then I gave in to the cravings and binged. Ice cream, chocolate, stuff like that.

Then I knew I would have to relax a little bit and find a program that I could live with without binging. So I upped the fat a bit and added more variety.

Raw is very difficult. You might find it easier to stick with 80-90% raw if you incorporate some cooked starches like beans and sweet potatoes. These will add to the feeling of fullness and satiation and they are longevity foods. Keep your fats raw for best health, though.
Kiwibird08 likes this.
#10 Old 05-02-2015, 03:15 PM
No flesh since 99'

So just an update, but I'm still standing at 100% raw and going strong No slip ups, no caving in. The cravings eventually passed, after the help of some higher-fat foods ("walnut-meat tacos") and avocados.
no whey jose likes this.
#11 Old 05-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

I only have a couple things to say- the plant stevia is far better than anything I've had that's been processed. I had one and liked it with mint

Penny79 was a member here a few years back. She was pretty well entirely raw, and quite an athlete. You should look up her old posts. I've never had any interest in going raw but she's a member I really miss
Kiwibird08 likes this.
#12 Old 05-13-2015, 05:51 AM

Not discounting anyone's experiences here, but wanted to add my two cents for anyone reading this who is thinking of going raw.....
It's not hard for everyone, so I encourage people to try it if they want to. I love being raw and don't experience any "problems" with it. The only time I get cravings is when I don't eat enough, and even then it is for things like grapefruit

So if you want to go raw, give it a go. It may not be that hard for you personally.

That being said, I think some people thrive on all raw, but others may do best with a mix of cooked and raw. Mental health is important too, so don't be hard on yourself!

Last edited by mydogisgreat!; 05-13-2015 at 06:11 AM.
#13 Old 05-13-2015, 01:41 PM
No flesh since 99'

Still at 100% and going strong
#14 Old 06-16-2015, 02:21 PM
Sheep in Wolf's Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Eat moar fats, that might help.
Having cravings for high fat junk foods might be a plea from your body telling you to eat more fat, so I agree with LedBoots here. Your body needs some amount of fat to function. This can also happen if you're eating a low sodium diet (you need sodium as well!).

Good luck with any of your endeavors!
#15 Old 06-17-2015, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Especially when raw consider the practice of food combining as important. Not many people do unfortunately. It is necessary to experience the full benefits of the good foods we eat. Poorly combined foods cause digestion problems, and can cause toxins, gas etc. Failure to combine well can take from the experience even enough to cause a failure to want to continue further. Raw foods are live and so are more potent than processed and so they can have stronger interactions. There is a noticeable difference in quality between good and poor combining.

There is something that makes such a raw food diet (with good combining) hard other than the cravings - the long process of overcoming our junk food addictions... but coping with the clearer state of mind that comes with a pure diet. A main reason we consume unhealthily (including more harsh, alcohol and drugs prolonged) is to avoid the clarity of a clear sensitive state of consciousness. Such purity of consumption ends up creating a pure state of being that is unfamiliar territory. It can be considered extreme sobriety. Such a state is relating to purer aspects of nature (through our food) it is not the common mundane mentality of the common person. Life offers you this chance to grow into it's greater reality, but we cannot handle too much of it. Can only try to the best of ones ability. And whatever that is, it is limited to some extent.

#16 Old 10-26-2015, 09:23 AM

Your body is accustomed to cooked,even small in quantity.Others are accustomed & addicted to meats.You cant just forget this fact.What i would do upon your place?I'd eat cooked as soon as i wanted to;knowledge where truth is is enough to keep you go right way(towards raw).& why radically killing the wrong way?Body needs it.Its why you suddenly crave stuff...Your ideas are not necessarily what your body is able to process

Last edited by kinglemon; 10-26-2015 at 09:37 AM.
#17 Old 01-31-2016, 12:48 PM
Banned

Hello Kiwibird08, are you still 100% raw?
From my own experience I can tell for sure that the desire to eat junk food is psychological and it's all about stress, and noting about old habits.
There are studies showing that people eat junk food based on stress. You certainly heard of or even experienced eating chocolate because of stress.

You must eliminate stress from your life, and only then the cravings for junk/cooked food will completely go away. And yes, that means making some of the biggest decisions in life.

Being 80% or 90% raw is the easy part. The difficult part is the rest to 100%. There are extremely few 100% raw foodists in the world. Most of the people simply won't make enough changes in their life in order to eliminate stress.

2010 - Raw food leaders no longer raw or vegan: What's up with that? - http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/02/24/raw...-up-with-that/
(Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock (or a durian shell), you’ve probably heard the news that some raw leaders—including Paul Nison and Victoria Boutenko—are no longer 100% raw vegan.)

Ah, and don't forget to eat avocado daily since it's the best raw vegan food that can keep one running for many hours. Without avocado, you probably have to eat every one or two hours.

Last edited by spaveg; 01-31-2016 at 12:59 PM.
#18 Old 03-09-2016, 12:36 AM

Any advice for someone who just went vegan and wants to start a raw diet? I heard that it's more beneficial and all, but the thing that I'm scared is that it will keep going down more and more (first I ate meat then believed that vegetarian is best, then i believe that vegan is best, now I believe that raw is best...whats next, only water?!?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page