VeggieBoards banner

Investing in a juicer - Omega 8006?

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Shyla 
#1 ·
Hi all. I'm not fully raw, but since juicing seems to be bigger among the raw community, I thought I might find the best advice here. I drink green juice 1-2 times a day as well as using it as a base for breakfast smoothies, and I've decided it's time to invest in a nice juicer. I currently have a centrifugal juicer, which I'll probably hang on to for juicing soft fruits for the boyfriend, but since I'm juicing so many greens (and possibly wheatgrass in the near future. Any tips for growing my own?) I think it would be well worth my money to get a masticating juicer. After some research I've come to favor the Omega 8006. My concern is that I'm being wowed by all its extra functions rather than its juicing abilities. So, I need some advice from you juicers out there. Is this really a good choice, or do I need to keep researching?

#4 ·
I would definitely avoid using tofu in a juicing recipe, though it might be okay in smoothies. Whether or not tofu will work well to replace meat in a recipe is determined by how the meat is treated in a recipe. I've been a vegetarian since I was five, so I don't usually try to substitute meat in recipes, but rather let tofu shine in all it's soy beany glory. For more (and probably better) tips, check out the recipes board.

#6 ·
I just saw John Kohler's video comparing the two:

When I was trying to decide what the best juicer for the money was, and when I was comparing high speed blenders, I went to his Youtube site. The man is a wealth of information.

Did you already receive the juicer? How is it?

#13 ·
I got the J8600 because it was on clearance at a local store that was no longer carrying Omega products. I've found it to be perfectly fine for all my juicing needs (which includes lots of greens as well as 'softer' fruits). Haven't really tried making nut butters or nut milks with it yet (though I hear the vert is best for nut milks, or just use a blender) yet, though I have been working on some interesting raw 'projects' with the pasta attachments.

#15 ·
@brookgirl: May I ask which juicer you ended up getting, and how you're going with it?
I've been juicing lots of carrot, apple, and celery on my fast juicer but I'm thinking about adding soft leafy greens (like spinach or kale) because they're have less sugar and are healthier. I figured what I need is a slow juicer, but can't make up my mind if I want a single gear or a twin gear one. A twin-gear costs at least $400 and a high end one is like more than a grand, but I heard the juice yield and quality are much higher. So I'm contemplating between the Omega J8006 ($300) and the twin gear Tribest ($600). I've seen very positive reviews for both: https://lunaregina.com/best-juicers/. (The Super Angels seem good but price is out of my range)
If you have a good experience with either of the Omega's I'll probably go with it too and save the $300 to buy more organic veggies.::kiss::

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.