Raw Cacao - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-16-2014, 06:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Raw Cacao

I'm not a raw foodist and don't want to interfere in this forum, but I have a question and apologize if it's been asked before.

I do eat a lot of raw foods, including. raw cacao in oatmeal about 3 times a week, for variety and the supposed health benefits.

I stumbled across this video of "Raw Foods You Should Never Eat" and the first guy, and another guy later in the video named cacao siting that it releases neurotoxins and another guy saying "it wacks me out".

I've never experienced anything like that. In the morning when I'm eating the oatmeal, I'm also having coffee and just waking up so maybe I don't notice. I've just ate a handful plain and on an empty stomach and will see if anything makes me feel different. But so far nothing.

So the question is has anyone had any bad feelings from raw cacao or been told not to eat it. I'm going to research it more.

One person also mentions "raw" cashews, which I do understand wouldn't be considered a raw food, but I also haven't had any issues with that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-16-2014, 07:51 AM

The only thing I can think of with the raw cacao is the caffeine content. I'm fairly sensitive to caffeine, and if I have to much, I get really jittery and feel like I want to cry. The theobromine does that to me too. Other than that, cacao is a superantioxidant and has a lot of health benefits. I'll have to look into it some more.

Okay, I found this article that seemed well balanced.

http://www.highonhealth.org/is-cacao-good-or-bad/

I'm not concerned about any of the other things mentioned such as mycotoxins (aflatoxin) and oxalic acid. Aflatoxin does not cause cancer when no animal protein is present in the diet. For that reason, I've even added small amounts of peanut butter back into my diet when I want it. Oxalic acid is in plenty of food and isn't the menace that some people make it out to be.

I think the major point to be taken from this is to have everything in moderation. Anything you eat can be toxic if you get too much, even the leafy greens that are supposed to be the majority of our diet.

Last edited by seedgirl; 09-16-2014 at 08:17 AM.
#3 Old 09-16-2014, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for that great article.

I felt no stimulant effects whatsoever, but I'm a coffee junkie. I can see that if it's bad for you that eating as much as the writer in that article did can cause issues.

I concur that just because something might be good for you, too much of a good thing is usually bad...but not necessarily something that needs to be given up entirely.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page