I'm hungry. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-11-2004, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I ate an entire batch of delicious chocolate chip cookies in 2 days by myself (1.5 cups of sugar, 1 cup of margarine, 2 cups of chocolate chips...; you get the point! ), and so I decided yesterday to eat raw for a few days to streamline my digestion and perhaps lose some weight and feel healthier about myself after that little.. mishap.

Well, it's been over 24 hours and I'm starving! I realize I have to eat lots of food, but jeez, I haven't stopped eating in 4 hours and I can't get full!

Since I woke up four hours ago I've had (in various blends, combinations, and handfuls) 4 bananas, an avacado, at least 2 tablespoons of flax seed oil, a handful of tomatos, a cup of raw almonds, and several glasses of water!

This is a lot of work. I can't see myself doing this for much longer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow...I think I'll try it, too. I pigged out today, so I could stand to eat a little healthier. I won't always do it...but I bet I can do it for 10 days...I'll keep ya posted.
#3 Old 04-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Eat some more fiber, that will keep you not eating for a while...they have some yucky cerial that has no taste...you could eat that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-11-2004, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

probably just like with extended fasting, the hunger goes subsides after a couple of days.
#5 Old 04-11-2004, 07:05 PM

eat apples, they have pectin and will fill you up fast.
#6 Old 04-11-2004, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had another almond/banana smoothie plus several cups of grapes. ... still hungry!

Oh well. I don't see myself going raw any time soon! I'll probably eat some bread tomorrow. I have a loaf of spouted grain bread in my fridge and it's been calling me all day!
#7 Old 04-12-2004, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I successfully pulled off 48 hours of eat rawing foods. I don't care to go any further... the bread in the kitchen has been calling me for the last 2 days.
#8 Old 04-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Beginner

i thjink ya could go longer ( when i go thorugh raw periods i always am sipiing on fresh carrot and apple juice--great for ur hinger)
#9 Old 04-22-2004, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried the raw thing last summer during fruit and veggie season in the north, and found myself famished most of the day. I brought what I thought was a good deal of food, but by noon, I had eaten it all. I don't think my messenger bag is big enough to carry enough food for me if I eat raw while at work.

I bike a hard 5 miles each way, which certainly counts for how many calories I have to take in. I did the FitDay calorie count and found, if I had raw foods with me during the day, that I was only taking in about 500 calories. 500 calories=STARVING.

I want to get back to eating much more raw stuff since it's getting to be that season, and since I had a really bad backtrack on my diet over the winter, so I'm looking a little mushy.

I think that no mater how much it seems like you're eating, you have to consider that a banana has only 140 calories, and an apple has 74. So, it does take a lot to make you full and keep you full on the raw stuff.
#10 Old 04-22-2004, 04:59 PM
Administrator

I would like to try this for a day and then eventually go 2 or 3 days at a time with it.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#11 Old 04-22-2004, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I've got to say it: This thread is discouraging. Hehe! My body requires cooked grains, generally, to feel "full." Apples and fiber won't do it. A sh-tload of food won't do it. I can eat and eat until I just must have a plate of pasta or slice of bread or something.

Mikie, maybe you're the same way?
#12 Old 04-27-2004, 12:55 PM

i tried to go raw and the same thing happened to me. I ate and ate and ate but i was STILL starving. finally i just decided to eat raw during the day then have a normal vegan dinner and if i want any snacks after that they're raw too.
#13 Old 04-27-2004, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

You guys--fruit has sugar in it just like cookies. While bananas are healthier than cookies..it's still sugar. EASY on the fruit--your poor body is going to get so sick of releasing excess insulin that your pancreas is going to explode! That and your family is not going to be able to use the bathroom for a while.

Eat veggies for a day or so-- and get tons of fiber and it'll cancel out your binge.
#14 Old 04-28-2004, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Clusswoman is right...especially about that bathroom thing.

Fruit is my dessert...one piece of sweet fruit if I want it, except apples...those fill me up and I feel 'safe' with them...but like bananas or something? I limit my intake, and save them as treats, and opt for squash or a veggie first.

But I think I like vegetables more than fruits, even though I have a sweet tooth...and so, if I were to eat too many fruits, they'd lose their impact...and they wouldn't suffice...and then I'd be hankering after bad stuff like sugar candies...or just plain sugar.

I have a smallish appetite though...I could go days and days on like 300 to 400 calories of raw foods and not feel hungry so long as I spaced the food out...

-Linzey
#15 Old 04-29-2004, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnyc View Post

I tried the raw thing last summer during fruit and veggie season in the north, and found myself famished most of the day. I brought what I thought was a good deal of food, but by noon, I had eaten it all. I don't think my messenger bag is big enough to carry enough food for me if I eat raw while at work.

I bike a hard 5 miles each way, which certainly counts for how many calories I have to take in. I did the FitDay calorie count and found, if I had raw foods with me during the day, that I was only taking in about 500 calories. 500 calories=STARVING.

I want to get back to eating much more raw stuff since it's getting to be that season, and since I had a really bad backtrack on my diet over the winter, so I'm looking a little mushy.

I think that no mater how much it seems like you're eating, you have to consider that a banana has only 140 calories, and an apple has 74. So, it does take a lot to make you full and keep you full on the raw stuff.

It is true that you do feel hungry if you do not know what to make. if you only eat fruits, vegetables plainly then of course you are going to get bored and you may even feel as if you are starving. In reality, it is best to get a cookbook of raw foods.
#16 Old 04-29-2004, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnyc View Post

That's what happened with me. I thought I had enough for a few days, but it was all gone by that night!
#17 Old 04-29-2004, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

If you aren't overdoing it with the nuts/seeds, avocados, and olives, you might find that you need somewhere between 6-12 lbs of produce per day! This is not easy to do when your only method of transport is a bicycle. It can also be very expensive, depending on your food choices.
#18 Old 04-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by conniepooh View Post

a cookbook of raw foods

Isn't that an oxymoron?
#19 Old 04-29-2004, 10:11 PM

I just wanted to say that I went raw for 32 days and I'm talking 100% raw, I made quite a few of Rhio's Raw Recipes and that got me through when I needed substance. There is even a chocolate sham ice cream made from raw carob, prunes, dates and a few other things, it was really very tasty.

The funny thing is that I am never hungry going raw, I can go hours without eating and my body just loved it, plenty of energy, the only downside was that is is very redundant and just boring.

I'm doing this every four months just for my organ's sake, it takes 10 days to detox, so try to stick it out for that long, you'll feel awesome, I swear!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page