Do I need to brush my teeth? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Beginner

I was wondering if I really need to brush my teeth if I'm raw? Iv'e never had any dental issues.  that is all :D

~JV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

my stepdad hasnt brushed his teeth in 40 years and lets just say he doesnt have many teeth left... hes not on a raw diet though. 

#3 Old 08-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, a raw diet magically kills the bacteria that form plaque and cavities. Magic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Brush them please.  You'll have bad things happen if you don't.  My story?  I didn't brush my teeth for many years and had a hole in one (everyone kept saying I had food in my teeth) and my back right tooth came apart and had to be pulled.  On top of that when I went to the dentist I had 15 cavities.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#5 Old 08-19-2012, 09:39 AM

Raw foods still have carbohydrates and bacteria that will stick in your teeth and rot them. Processed foods aren't to blame for cavities and gum disease, carbs (which we can't avoid no matter what) and poor hygiene (like what you're trying to do here) are to blame.
For the love of god, brush your teeth.

#6 Old 08-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Beginner

I don't think I'm trying to do any thing here. I really don't understand why some seem to be replying quite rudely, after all it was a simple question. I never said I wasn't brushing my teeth I just asked if I needed to.

Thank you all for replying with information though :)

#7 Old 08-20-2012, 05:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Try not to take it personnally JVskier, some people can be rude for no reason.

I stopped brushing my teeth with toothpaste maybe half a year ago because most toothpastes contain glycerin, which coats your teeth. That coating is supposed to protect your teeth from being damaged, however, while/after you eat, the coat wears off and you do end up slightly damaging your teeth. What the glycerin also does is prevent your saliva from remineralizing your teeth. So what I've come to do is gently brush my teeth with a soft bristled brush and just water, and after I swish some sodium bicarbonate (baking soda, I believe) and water in my mouth like someone would listerine or scope, because sodium kills bacteria because it's alkaline and bacteria need acidic environments to thrive. So you're killing the bacteria and restoring a healthy ph balance in your mouth which will promote remineralization from the saliva.

Hope this helped :)

#8 Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 AM
Beginner

Thank you Azerea :) I think I will try your teeth brushing method grin.gif!

#9 Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

My grandfather brushed his teeth with baking soda his whole life. When he was in his early eighties, the dentist found Papa's first cavity. My grandfather said, "A hole? Pull the tooth out!" He was convinced to just get the filling, the only one he ever needed. This was a man who had suffered from severe malnutrition in his childhood while in a Russian work camp.
#10 Old 08-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

yes, brush your teeth...a raw diet isnt some magical cure for dental issues. Dried fruit can be as bad for your teeth as candy and snacks,

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/
#11 Old 08-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Beginner

Thats AMAZING! Sounds like I will have to do that :)

#12 Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Beginner

Since adopting a raw vegan diet, I stopped brushing my teeth. They are much cleaner and don't get that gunky buildup in the morning that I had become so accustomed to. When people ask, I tell them the produce section is where I get my tooth brush and toothpaste.

Mostly, it's common sense. Do you think people, many moons ago, had these devices? Do you think they lost all their teeth due to cavities? Probably not. It's mostly likely due to innovation and our ways of making life much more complex.

There's a reason newer and better toothbrushes and toothpastes keep coming out: to fix the shoddy jobs of the previous ones. It's a vicious cycle that never stops, not until you realize it.

So save yourself five minutes each day, not to mention a couple bucks a month, and go to sleep without this last pit stop.

P.S. My results are based purely off of my diet...I consider myself a healthy raw-organic-gluten/lentil-free-vegan. Best wishes!

Vegans Go Raw likes this.

More Apples a Day: A Journey to 150

LIVE Longer We Will!

Join Me @ MoreApplesADay.com

#13 Old 11-09-2012, 09:55 PM

Every since I started eating more raw fruits and veggies, I've stopped brushing my teeth as much. Sometimes once a day or every other day. 

The trick is to floss!! Healthy gum = strong and cavity-free teeth. I floss at least 3 times per day. I brush with a combination of baking soda and sea salt. (I have a friend who also adds chalk, I am guessing it dilutes the mixture a bit.)

Anyways, people are always telling me that I have nice teeth and smile. ^^ And I haven't had cavities since I started brushing less -- weird huh? This is coming from someone who use to get at least one cavity every year. 

The main deal with raw food is to not eat so frequently throughout the day. Like no little snack here an there. And drink your smoothie/juice in one sitting, don't slowly drink it while surfing the internet or watching TV. Even if it is pure juice, the sugar content in fruit sits for a long time on the surface of your teeth, eroding the enamel and eventually causing cavities. 

Alway rinse your teeth with water after every meal.

Overall, I brush my teeth when I feel like I need to. There's no reason to brush when you know your teeth are clean.

But always floss. ^^
#14 Old 03-13-2013, 04:46 PM

just wondering what cavemen used to brush their teeth ?
  - They didnt!!
and I will assume that they didnt get tooth decay.
why on earth would teeth decay from eating the food that we are supposed to eat.?
animal fossils from thousands (millions) of years ago seem to have their teeth in good order! so it would follow suit for humans too.
i think its logical to guess that teeth dont need brushing ever (providing that we eat fresh food that grows from the earth, (without oils or sauce or condiments).
some of the Egyptian mummies teeth are in fantastic condition (from 3000 years ago!!!) explain that to me !!
how is it possible that raw foodists (if not cheating) can get tooth decay?
i have been eating raw food for years now and my teeth are fine.
my skin and teeth and everything is way better than it used to be. I dont understand how everyone says raw food gives bad teeth! I am living proof its fine. 
i do brush my teeth regularly and floss daily. 
but I see some people really knocking raw food. i have never experienced any of their claims.

PS: all the people here that said they didnt brush teeth for a few years and lost teeth because of it!!   Geez!!!   that was from the sauces, fats, junk, and other non-natural food!!
 do gorillas get tooth decay ??   NO !!!!!!!!
#15 Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Any guess as to how long your proposed non-tooth brushing cavemen lived compared to the current life expectancy? You don't really have to do much for your teeth if they barely need to last you into adulthood.
#16 Old 03-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Your assumption that "cavemen" didn't get tooth decay is false.

Dental decay was not uncommon in ancient egypt and people died from it as well.

Tooth decay rates may vary over history but simply eating raw will not eliminate it (although dietary habits do have a major impact).

Also no one is saying that "raw food gives bad teeth", we are saying that its no magic bullet and as I said earlier, dried fruit can be as bad as candy for your teeth.

and yes, wild apes do get some degree of tooth decay and dental disease, though biological factors such as differing tooth structure must be taken into account

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/
#17 Old 07-17-2013, 03:15 AM
Veggie Regular

no  offense but pls take care of your teeth.

#18 Old 07-17-2013, 03:43 AM
Veggie Regular

you should look after your teath, once your an adult you cant grow more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page