Vegan to raw vegan: fresher breath and overall smell? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By VeganEnthusiast

#1 Old 07-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Beginner

I was just wondering if any of you have noticed that your breath has been fresher and/or your bodily fluids (mainly sweat) have smelt better since going raw? I brush my teeth regularly and always chew gum yet I still worry about whether my breath is fresh or not (I think I must have halitophobia or something), and often wonder about whether I smell bad overall or not. I've been told by a few reliable people that I smell fine and have nothing to worry about, but the thought is still there. I've been looking into the raw food diet more today and amongst all of the other benefits, I was wondering if fresher breath and overall smell is one of the advantages of a raw vegan diet seeing as it is more natural than a regular vegan diet? I suppose this is also my chance to ask the fart question... so, better or worse? lol

"The reason that people are not vegetarian for the most part is convenience. That is it. They are raised in a society where it's so easy not to be a vegetarian."
- Ian Mackaye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I think there is some truth to this, but I have noticed raw vegans who eat a lot of garlic and spices will excrete them from their pores just as anyone else would. (I made raw samosas once...and the next day after working out my armpits smelled like samosa...I'm just sexy like that LOL).

But since I have been eating more 'mono' and less spices I have noticed that when I sweat or exert myself it takes a lot longer for me to get rank than it did before. We're still human, we still smell at times, but in my opinion raw vegans tend to eat cleaner and thus less waste is being excreted through the pores. Also, as far as breath goes since you are avoiding a lot of the main breath culprits like coffee, cigarettes, etc that is an automatic bonus. But, on the flip side if you aren't eating enough calories you can end up with halitosis...so if your breath smells a bit funky as a raw vegan and you feel tired - eat more and it will go away.

As far as farting goes - everyone is different. I have noticed I am farting WAY less because I'm not ingesting garlic, onions, beans, and spicy foods as much. I've heard of some people being really flatulent at first, but when their body adjusts to 'roughage' and develops a tolerance for more raw food it goes away over time. I have IBS, and I am delighted to say - that for the first time in my life - I don't feel pain and discomfort on a daily basis!
#3 Old 07-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

I think there is some truth to this, but I have noticed raw vegans who eat a lot of garlic and spices will excrete them from their pores just as anyone else would. (I made raw samosas once...and the next day after working out my armpits smelled like samosa...I'm just sexy like that LOL).

Yes, if you're raw and avoid, for the most part, onions and garlic, the breath and sweat stink less (or don't reak at all).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Beginner

I guess this gives me one more reason to go raw sometime in the future I'm gonna try and do one raw vegan day a week as soon as I get enough info on how to go about it though.

"The reason that people are not vegetarian for the most part is convenience. That is it. They are raised in a society where it's so easy not to be a vegetarian."
- Ian Mackaye
#5 Old 07-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK420 View Post

I guess this gives me one more reason to go raw sometime in the future I'm gonna try and do one raw vegan day a week as soon as I get enough info on how to go about it though.

Instead of just one day a week, try going raw a percentage of each day. It's easier on the body as you are gradually reducing the amount of toxins (preservatives, food additives etc) that are built up in the body so when you go 100% detox won't be as bad as there is less 'stuff' for your body to work out and the transition will be smooth
#6 Old 07-15-2011, 05:22 PM

I suspect the green smoothies 3 or 4 times a week adds some chlorophyll to me and that would reduce body odor.
However, the past month has been mosquito and tick season here, so I've ate some garlic and brewers yeast each day in hopes of deterring mosquito and ticks. Therefore this past month I've probably had an odor.

Not many people realize that we have at least 100 species of bacteria on our skin, and they are necessary to keep us alive. So daily showers with antibacterial soap is not a good thing for our skin. I am guessing 3 showers a week would be good.

I also suspect that soaking beans, nut, seeds in water will reduce the fart question a bit. Also eating fruit before a meal is probably better than eating fruit after a meal because of the fast speed it likes to travel and break down.

About twice a week I use a waterpik and it squirts water along the gumline and inbetween teeth. And about two or three times a week I use dental floss. That seems to be fine for dental hygiene, along with brushing. A little sea salt added to the water for rinsing and gargling may be healthier than a daily mouthwash.
#7 Old 07-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Instead of just one day a week, try going raw a percentage of each day. It's easier on the body as you are gradually reducing the amount of toxins (preservatives, food additives etc) that are built up in the body so when you go 100% detox won't be as bad as there is less 'stuff' for your body to work out and the transition will be smooth

Ah right, cheers for the tip. Any suggestions as to which meal(s) I should go raw for? I've broken away from the 3 meal a day thing over the past couple of months and gone for eating smaller quantities more frequently, so I probably eat like 5 meals a day or just whenever I feel hungry.

- Ian Mackaye
#8 Old 07-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggilnv View Post

I suspect the green smoothies 3 or 4 times a week adds some chlorophyll to me and that would reduce body odor.
However, the past month has been mosquito and tick season here, so I've ate some garlic and brewers yeast each day in hopes of deterring mosquito and ticks. Therefore this past month I've probably had an odor.

Not many people realize that we have at least 100 species of bacteria on our skin, and they are necessary to keep us alive. So daily showers with antibacterial soap is not a good thing for our skin. I am guessing 3 showers a week would be good.

I also suspect that soaking beans, nut, seeds in water will reduce the fart question a bit. Also eating fruit before a meal is probably better than eating fruit after a meal because of the fast speed it likes to travel and break down.

About twice a week I use a waterpik and it squirts water along the gumline and inbetween teeth. And about two or three times a week I use dental floss. That seems to be fine for dental hygiene, along with brushing. A little sea salt added to the water for rinsing and gargling may be healthier than a daily mouthwash.

3 showers a week? eek I feel dirty if I don't shower every day. I think I'll try salt water for a while instead of mouthwash as I've had no luck finding any vegan friendly ones anyway.

- Ian Mackaye
#9 Old 07-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Ah right, cheers for the tip. Any suggestions as to which meal(s) I should go raw for? I've broken away from the 3 meal a day thing over the past couple of months and gone for eating smaller quantities more frequently, so I probably eat like 5 meals a day or just whenever I feel hungry.

Personally I started with breakfast by having a green/fruit smoothie as I wanted to fill myself up before work. Then I took raw snacks to work (examples: apple, berries, banana, some dates, whatever else I'm in the mood for) because I like to graze throughout the day as well, and one thing that is a KEY skill to develop in this lifestyle is to not let yourself get hungry. If you get hungry you are more likely to eat something you shouldn't. Many people are in the 'restricting calories' mind set so they restrict - and trust me, unless you are eating tons of nuts and seeds and absolutely avoiding movement you won't gain weight as the fibre/water flushes it out and fruit/veg are so low calorie that you do need to eat a fair amount. I personally love getting to eat a lot! after years of dieting this is bliss! lol

So really it's a personal preference as to what meal to start raw, but considering you are a 'grazer' perhaps try and have more fruits/veg around to graze on through the day, and just slowly increase as you feel comfortable
#10 Old 07-16-2011, 08:13 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Personally I started with breakfast by having a green/fruit smoothie as I wanted to fill myself up before work. Then I took raw snacks to work (examples: apple, berries, banana, some dates, whatever else I'm in the mood for) because I like to graze throughout the day as well, and one thing that is a KEY skill to develop in this lifestyle is to not let yourself get hungry. If you get hungry you are more likely to eat something you shouldn't. Many people are in the 'restricting calories' mind set so they restrict - and trust me, unless you are eating tons of nuts and seeds and absolutely avoiding movement you won't gain weight as the fibre/water flushes it out and fruit/veg are so low calorie that you do need to eat a fair amount. I personally love getting to eat a lot! after years of dieting this is bliss! lol

So really it's a personal preference as to what meal to start raw, but considering you are a 'grazer' perhaps try and have more fruits/veg around to graze on through the day, and just slowly increase as you feel comfortable

Thanks again. I do eat fruit whenever I get that almost-hungry feeling anyway, if you know what I mean, to try and hold it off until I can make something better to eat. I hate getting hungry and having to run out to the kitchen to make something all the time, so avoiding hunger is really something I need to do. I guess I'll start off with breakfast then or mid-afternoon meals.

- Ian Mackaye
#11 Old 07-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Thanks again. I do eat fruit whenever I get that almost-hungry feeling anyway, if you know what I mean, to try and hold it off until I can make something better to eat. I hate getting hungry and having to run out to the kitchen to make something all the time, so avoiding hunger is really something I need to do. I guess I'll start off with breakfast then or mid-afternoon meals.

Good plan! the key is to THRIVE on the lifestyle not DEPRIVE! so a dislike of hunger is a good motivator! you will also notice how nice it is not to be cooking/cleaning pots and pans all the time
#12 Old 07-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Good plan! the key is to THRIVE on the lifestyle not DEPRIVE! so a dislike of hunger is a good motivator! you will also notice how nice it is not to be cooking/cleaning pots and pans all the time

Tell me about it, cleaning curry sauce off a pan isn't the best pastime.

- Ian Mackaye
#13 Old 07-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I've read stories of people who are raw claiming they have no body odor and don't use any deodorants.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#14 Old 07-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Beginner

I always worry about what deodorant and similar products might be doing to my skin (negatively) so I hope the same happens for me lol.

- Ian Mackaye
#15 Old 07-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

When I was vegetarian I had to wear an anti perspirant or i would reek, now that I'm vegan I only need organic deodorant that doesn't contain that chemical crap. I'm slowly transitioning to raw and sometimes I notice my sweat smells good. Even a friend of mine was like "dude your perfume smells good, like fruity or something" and I was like "thats my sweat" - and by sweat I mean I had just been to a metal concert and was drenched in sweat lol.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
#16 Old 07-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Beginner

I am not 100% raw, but I eat mostly raw fruits and greens (maybe some plain potatoes occasionally or at a restaurant) and have been lucky enough to gain that benefit associated with raw foods - vastly decreased personal odors. My sweat does not smell, nor does my pee, my breath, not even my farts! Very, very pleasant benefit.

I used to wake up in the morning and have to brush my teeth right away and skip breakfast due to that bitter taste from the toothpaste you get immediately after brushing if you try to eat or drink. Now brushing my teeth isn't urgent, no morning breath. I can drink my water, drink my smoothie, and THEN brush my teeth.
#17 Old 07-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Ohhh yeh I forgot about my gas smelling better Haven't noticed my breath yet, but I still smoke

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
#18 Old 12-07-2014, 06:48 PM

Yes, it is true that you will have a fresher all around smell because you are not eating dead flesh.
This won't be exactly 100 % true in the early stages of going raw because you are going through
the detox process. During the detox process you can actually smell bad because your body
is ridding itself of toxins.

Break-outs and ugly looking skin is another side-effect that occurs in the early stages. Just give it time
and your skin will look nice, you will smell nice and you will feel nice.....

Here is a good discussion on benefits of raw foods:
http://www.talkgreens.com/index.php/topic,8.0.html

Make sure to drink lots of water while going raw.
Raw food is one thing, having enough water is another.
Raw foods won't be able to take it's full course for change
without proper amount of water even though lots of raw
foods consist a good volume of water.
Kiwibird08 likes this.

Always Talk Greens! You will be amazed how much green you can talk.
#19 Old 12-17-2014, 11:30 AM
No flesh since 99'

I went from long term (15+ years) vegetarian to raw last summer. I noticed a difference in the amount I sweat and my breath within a few weeks. I guess both are a result of either flesh rotting in your mouth/body (not in my situation) and/or your body being unable to properly process certain things (definitely my problem). I blame dairy products as the main culprit for my excess sweating and bad breath, which I was allergic to unknowingly for some time (as are most people past infancy). I hadn't been eating processed or junk food for years before going raw either, and I still went through a HORRIBLE detox period. It felt like I had a cold, stomach bug, flu and seasonal allergies all hit me at once! WTF was going on in my body? Seriously, I was a veg and didn't eat THAT unhealthy compared to the general population! I will never go back to the way I ate before after experiencing that kind of reaction (obviously my prior "healthy" diet wasn't THAT good if my body reacted so violently when the toxins were eliminated) and my energy levels on raw have gone back to almost like I'm a kid again. Endless energy! My skin has cleared up after years of moderate acne, the color has returned to my complexion (I'm pale naturally, but I always looked half-dead with almost gray skin, now it's pinkish), and my eyes are getting noticeably lighter. My digestion is also back to normal for the first time in a decade since I fist got Crohns disease.

As a lifelong light eater, it was VERY difficult to get used to the portion sizes you need to eat on a raw diet, as they are MUCH bigger than "normal" food due to low calorie density of fruit/veg and limited amounts of seeds/nuts you should eat. That was probably the most difficult thing for me, but in the long run, it is absolutely the best dietary choice I've made!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page