VeggieBoards banner

Tips for Moving Towards Raw

5K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  prismcolour 
#1 ·
I admit, I have wanted to be a raw vegan for some time now, but it's a very difficult transition for a college student who was raised on processed crap, and who is surrounded by processed crap all the time at school. However, with my health being what it is, I'd try just about anything to see a modicum of improvement.

I was wondering if anyone had any beginner's tips for easing in? I may start with a day a week raw, or something of that kind. I don't have any fancy food processors, but I have a small blender. I'm also on a budget, so I can't really afford anything too fancy.

What are some things I should be aware of that I probably don't know? Act as if you're talking to a complete idiot who doesn't even know what raw veganism is. ; )

Thanks for the help!

#2 ·
I would suggest starting with some green smoothies. Try having one for breakfast each morning (you have a blender, which is all you need to start off raw) and you will notice the health benefits and want to continue eating "cleaner", believe me. That's how I started. They're delicious too, so it won't be too difficult. Just mix 2 cups of the greens of your choice with a couple of pieces of fruit (banana, mango, berries) and 2 cups of water and you're golden. Simple and nutritious!

#3 ·
^^Very good advice. I'll add that you might want to start with a low percentage of greens, just to get used to it. Also be aware that having a green smoothie with lots of fruit and greens is potentially a lot more fiber than you're used to getting, so you might want to give your body some time to adjust before moving forward.

A raw day per week is a good start, or a raw meal every day - like the green smoothies for breakfast. When I was high raw before, I started with a smoothie for breakfast every day, and then slowly switched my other meals over. Instead of a cooked meal with a side salad for lunch, I'd have a big salad with lots of veggies and a little bit of cooked beans on top; that sort of thing.

#6 ·
Oh, one more question - can anyone recommend a few green veggies that are the most nutrient-dense? I don't have a lot of money to buy a variety, and I don't mind eating the same one or two or three veggies in smoothies fairly often, so I'm looking to get a little more bang for my buck.

#7 ·
Well, kale is awesome. I've never had it in a smoothie, though, because it's not available where I live. According to nutritiondata.self.com, one cup of raw kale has:

33 calories
no fat
no cholesterol
29mg of sodium
7g of carbs including 1g of fiber
2g protein
206% of your daily vitamin A
134% of your daily vitamin C
9% of your calcium
6% of your iron
684% of your vitamin K
26% of your manganese
and smaller amounts of lots of other things.

Percentages are based on your gender and calories I believe, but the website didn't say what they based that off; I'm assuming a moderately active woman in her 20s or 30s, based on Self Magazine's demographic. So if you're outside that range those numbers may be slightly different for you, but not by much.

#10 ·
Also, dandelion leaves! They are PACKED with nutrients and go great in smoothies because they're quite bitter so having them with fruit masks the taste well. I'm a big dandelion fan.

I agree about cabbage and broccoli (both fantastic) but I think I would keep away from them in smoothies, unless you were making a blended raw soup of sorts.

#11 ·
I agree with the green smoothie in the AM and the gradual increase like others have posted. Once you go about 80% or so (it's different for everyone) your body will start detoxing. I found drinking lots of purified water and exercising worked well to help get me through the detox as it helps flush the toxins out faster as we detox through the skin as well. I went to a sauna during the detox and it also helped. It's also a good healthy habit to continue.

Also, at first gourmet raw is a good way to bridge the transition over, but don't look at gourmet raw as the long term healthiest option. I fell into that trap for far too long, and, IMO, it was good to help get me hooked on raw, but not good in the long term as nuts and seeds are heavier in the tummy and assist in weight gain if eaten too much. Now I just sprinkle small amounts on salads now and then and keep it minimal. In terms of balance - check out the pyramid below. Fresh fruits and veg should be the vast majority of what you eat.

Attachment 16085
LL

#12 ·
Awesome
I don't eat 100% raw, but I guess I eat about 50-60% (who knows :p) most of the time and now I'm able to enjoy things a bit simpler like just eating a cucumber or raw cauliflower with nutritional yeast, but sometimes, at least for me, you just get a craving that can't be solved with raw veggies or fruit, so I would suggest while you're easing into it (and I definitely agree with easing into it haha.. learned the hard way.. started drinking only green juices way too fast last year), is to find some raw recipes that are similar to cooked recipes you really enjoy... and maybe make some raw desserts from time to time. I am so in love with raw desserts, but I only make them when I'm staying with my parents because at least there are 3 of us to eat it instead of just me haha.

Obviously there are copious amounts of raw recipes online, but I have some raw recipes on my website, mostly desserts but something that I really love if I may point out (similar recipes are on the internet) the raw zucchini fettucini with spinach sauce... I use a Magic Bullet (sometimes it's definitely not the best option) but I too am not in the financial position to get a more powerful blender (I'm saving up for a Vitamix...oooh and a dehydrator.)

Anyway, yeah, just make really yummy things to start off and then gradually you'll most likely find that you'll get cravings for less decadent things. Although we all need to indulge every so often. Happy raw eating!

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare View Post

Obviously there are copious amounts of raw recipes online, but I have some raw recipes on my website, mostly desserts but something that I really love if I may point out (similar recipes are on the internet) the raw zucchini fettucini with spinach sauce... I use a Magic Bullet (sometimes it's definitely not the best option) but I too am not in the financial position to get a more powerful blender (I'm saving up for a Vitamix...oooh and a dehydrator.)
Ooh, that recipe looks great! I have some nice zucchini, so I am going to try it tonight! And I like your website,

#15 ·
that may have to be a meal tomorrow and more frequently, since i have a ton of zucchini from the garden right now!

#18 ·
I looked into being raw a while ago and I found and easy read thing about the fruits which can be eaten together. It listed the name of the category then the fruits in the category. Has anyone found something like this? Google is kind of giving me what I'm looking for... but not really.

#22 ·
I realize this thread is a bit older, but I think a Raw Transitioning Tips would be an excellent sticky thread here. I plan to go completely Raw December 1st (it's easier for me to set a date to stick by). But one of the best and most common sense tips I've read (in the book Raw Food for Real People) is to make an enormous salad of your favorite veggies and leafy greens, then keep it in the fridge. That way anytime you are feeling snackish, or you don't know what to eat for lunch, it's available. Even though I have a set date, I'm still trying to incorporate more raw foods into my diet now to make the transition easier.

Currently I have a salad of Kale, Carrots, Onions, Cilantro, brocolli, cabbage sprouts, minced garlic, red wine vinegar and apple cider vinegar, and dried cranberries.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganSAHM View Post

I realize this thread is a bit older, but I think a Raw Transitioning Tips would be an excellent sticky thread here. I plan to go completely Raw December 1st (it's easier for me to set a date to stick by). But one of the best and most common sense tips I've read (in the book Raw Food for Real People) is to make an enormous salad of your favorite veggies and leafy greens, then keep it in the fridge. That way anytime you are feeling snackish, or you don't know what to eat for lunch, it's available. Even though I have a set date, I'm still trying to incorporate more raw foods into my diet now to make the transition easier.

Currently I have a salad of Kale, Carrots, Onions, Cilantro, brocolli, cabbage sprouts, minced garlic, red wine vinegar and apple cider vinegar, and dried cranberries.
Yummmmm

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamorphia View Post

I admit, I have wanted to be a raw vegan for some time now, but it's a very difficult transition for a college student who was raised on processed crap, and who is surrounded by processed crap all the time at school. However, with my health being what it is, I'd try just about anything to see a modicum of improvement.

I was wondering if anyone had any beginner's tips for easing in? I may start with a day a week raw, or something of that kind. I don't have any fancy food processors, but I have a small blender. I'm also on a budget, so I can't really afford anything too fancy.

What are some things I should be aware of that I probably don't know? Act as if you're talking to a complete idiot who doesn't even know what raw veganism is. ; )

Thanks for the help!
Most of what is published or written about raw diets is utter fiction by people without real credentials or relevant educations.. A very well credentialed nutritionist (vegan ) who is very well respected in her field wrote a book on raw foodism called "Becoming Raw" ( by Brenda Davis R.D. ). That would be the book to read if you are interested in pursuing a raw vegan diet.

A number of people also feel that a while a high raw diet has a place as a short term restorative diet, it isn't the best diet for a permanent life time change. People can feel better after having gone raw partly due to what they cut out ( in your case dairy and eggs ) and the increased intake of produce ( raw or not ).

At some point in the future you might decide to simply become a vegan instead of being a raw vegan. You will probably feel and look just as good.

#26 ·
I found that to go raw you have to jump right in. I found some great 'cook' books like from Ani Phyo. (just watch her oil content). You said you had a sweet issue, well Ani has a whole book dedicated to raw sweets. In order to calm my cravings i would make myself a walnut and date with cocao powder paste and then slightly mash bananas on top. Delicious and completely raw. I also found green smoothies and fresh fruit juices to be very helpful. I drink a green smoothie for breakfast everyday. You can get great green smoothies from the www.rawfamily.com site. They have an amazing story to tell. The only trouble with making meals is some of them require you to prepare in advance, like soaking seeds and nuts. I went through all my recipe books and wrote in the top margin if they needed a day to prepare so when i was looking for a quick meal I wouldn't get my heart set on the wrong one. Salads get really boring really fast, so i made a lot of nut pastes in the beginning (stuffed tomatoes or mushrooms). Your body will crave the fat from nuts, especailly in the beginning. Fresh guacamole eaten with lettuce is a great lunch. Make a gorilla sandwich, they are fun and will have everyone talking about you at work! (Watch the youtube video). Much like being a vegan or vegetarian you still have to bring your own food whenever you are invited out/over. Restaurants aren't too bad since there is always salad on the menu (if you don't mind paying for a salad you can make at home for pennies). I made a lot of soups. My Blendtec is my best friend.

Anything else?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.