Raw almond butter and peanut butter - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-26-2004, 06:49 PM

I have almond butter and peanut butter, but they are both roasted nuts (not raw). Anyway - I asked at a local vegan restaurant if they made raw versions and they said, no theirs is roasted and that raw peanut butter would not taste good at all AND that you have to roast nuts, because they are legumes and if you eat them raw it causes brain scaring!! Anyone know how true this is??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-28-2004, 02:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish I could give you a more specific answer.

Nuts are not legumes, but peanuts, which are not nuts, are legumes. There are raw nut butters available. I have a jar of raw tahini in the fridge, which is sesame nut butter. You might be able to get raw almond butter. However, legumes, contain a lot of natural toxins that cooking removes. (Soybeans are highly caustic in their raw state and are neutralized with industrial chemicals. They're "all the rage" but you might be consuming unwanted chemicals along with the bean.)

I did a search for "raw legumes" and "brain scarring", and did not come up with much. I would ask these people for sources.

Here's an article on raw legumes and the toxins they carry:

http://www.sproutpeople.com/Political/vegejournal.html

This article is pasted all over the net. I will see if I can find anything more specific. By the way, the raw tahini is good.
#3 Old 02-29-2004, 01:22 PM

WOW! Thanks so much for doing so much research for me! You did make alot of sense - I will look at that link now and see what else I can learn. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-01-2004, 02:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtree View Post

WOW! Thanks so much for doing so much research for me! You did make alot of sense - I will look at that link now and see what else I can learn. Thanks!

Not a problem -- I actually love studying the edibility of plants.
#5 Old 03-18-2004, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Erm, I eat raw peanuts a lot. So far my brain feels fine...
#6 Old 03-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

...and, I have a jar of raw almond butter sitting right here...I actually hate roasted almond butter.
#7 Old 03-18-2004, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw raw peanuts being sold in many stores, so they are probably fine.

Red beans on the other hand...
#8 Old 03-18-2004, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a raw peanut before...personally I though that it was nasty.

but yea I'd be careful about eating raw peanuts, I don't believe the brain scarring thing but they can give you an upset stomach
#9 Old 03-18-2004, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

My grandparents grew peanuts, and we would sometimes eat them raw (although people here call them "green" when they are unroasted.) Raw peanuts have a sort of grassy taste, very much like alfalfa sprouts. I don't think they would be good at all ground into peanut butter.

Also, as others have mentioned, they certainly can upset your stomach. For many people, more than just a few raw peanuts will do the trick.

But I do like raw almonds, and I think raw almond butter might be good. Very different from regular roasted almond butter, but not bad.
#10 Old 03-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh dude. Raw almond butter is SO much better than roasted almond butter. And SO much better than just raw almonds. Maranatha makes it--you guys should try it, it's sweet and delicious...no sodium, no sugar, just almondy goodness!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page