Green smoothies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

#1 Old 04-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I started this thread on other forums, and people responded with their favorite smoothies: milk, peanut butter, etc. OR they told me about Naked juice or different powders and vitamin supplements...
Not quite what I was looking for!
I figured you all would understand

I want to start drinking green smoothies regularly, preferably to start my day off. I know I need more greens in my diet, and I've read about the health benefits.
Today I made a smoothie with spinach, strawberries, and banana (all organic.)
I have a huge bundle of organic chard in my fridge that I'm going to experiment with tomorrow...

What are your favorite recipes? Any comments or tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

No favorite recipes really I just use whatever fruit and veggies I have on hand. I also sometimes add powders or chia seeds or something. The only tip I'd have is drink a least a quart a day and mix your greens up, don't keep using the same ones over and over.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#3 Old 04-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the tips! I do have some chia seeds I will throw in there. I've also thought about adding coconut oil.
I just made a chard/apple/banana smoothie with a bit of lemon for breakfast tomorrow, so I can grab it and go.

My mother is complaining that it is going to be very expensive (I still live at home, killmenow)

For lunch I threw several handfuls of spinach into a blender with half a banana and a few strawberries...expensive? Um, no. (Not to mention I purchased all the produce myself and have shared with them...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I like mango, pineapple, orange, strawberry, chia, flax and spinach, with a little water as needed. Sometimes I put hemp seed or raw hemp protein powder in too.
theheadandtheheart likes this.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#5 Old 04-06-2011, 08:36 PM

1 cup of spinach, 1 cup of kale, 1 cup of rice milk (or other non dairy milk, though rice milk doesn't froth so much, which I like), 1 packet of sweetener (Stevia, is what I use) and one cored pear.

ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS.

Some variations, I will add an extra fruit I have on hand, some soy protein for protein or ground flax seed.

theapplerunner.com
#6 Old 04-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

1 hand full of spinach, 1/4 cucumber diced, 1 hand full of kale, 1 banana, 1 avocado, 1 kiwi, 1 hand full of berries

its not raw but I also add soy yogurt, 1 1/2 cups chocolate almond milk, and 2 tbls of coconut milk (the canned kind)

Green smoothies are awesome cause you can just add whatever fruit you like to cover the stronger tastes of the veggies.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
#7 Old 04-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I like spinach best for green smoothies because I don't really taste it. I've used kale before too because I love kale and usually have it around, but I'd prefer to eat it another way.

The fruits I find really work well are citrusy/tropical type fruits, like banana, mango, pineapple, orange.

Here's what I did yesterday, but it's just one variation: 1 c. spinach, 1/2 c. each mango and pineapple, 1 c. orange juice, flax oil.
#8 Old 04-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I enjoy an orange, strawberry, mango, pineapple, banana, and spinach smoothie. I usually add a bit of water as needed and use frozen bananas.
#9 Old 04-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I want to start getting into these regularly again. A couple of months ago I was drinking about a quart a day and I stopped because I didn't feel any different than before I was. But I'd like to be getting as many greens as possible into my diet so I'll probably start again soon!

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#10 Old 04-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a swiss chard/apple/banana/lemon smoothie for breakfast, and a kale/pineapple/strawberry one for a snack later...love the amount of greens and fruit I'm getting into my diet
I want to continue this regularly too.
#11 Old 04-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

What are your thoughts on refrigerating smoothies? I know it's best to drink them right away...
But for my breakfast smoothie I like to make it the night before. I keep it in a tightly sealed container, but I'm sure it still loses vitamins/nutrients
If I could get myself to wake up 10 minutes earlier in the morning, this wouldn't be a problem. But I can never freaking get out of bed I press snooze three times and then have to rush out the door.
#12 Old 04-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

as long as theres no dairy in the smoothie (which if its raw vegan there wont be) add lemon juice to the smoothie (like squeeze half a lemon into the blender with the fruits/veggies) this will keep the smoothie from turning that disgusting brown colour if you've used apples or bananas in your smoothie.
Edit: this is for keeping it in the fridge overnight, I should have specified, sorry its been a long week

#13 Old 04-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Banned

My favorite recipe is: a glass of purified water, bunch of parsley and two small bananas.
#14 Old 04-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

as long as theres no dairy in the smoothie (which if its raw vegan there wont be) add lemon juice to the smoothie (like squeeze half a lemon into the blender with the fruits/veggies) this will keep the smoothie from turning that disgusting brown colour if you've used apples or bananas in your smoothie.
Edit: this is for keeping it in the fridge overnight, I should have specified, sorry its been a long week

Great advice, thanks! The first smoothie I stored over night was still bright green the next morning...the one I drank this morning was slightly brown (but still tasted amazing!) I just realized I added lemon juice to the first one
I had a swiss chard, pear, banana smoothie today. Freaking delicious.
#15 Old 04-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I love banana, frozen kale, cocoa powder, maca powder and some soy protein. Sometimes I add a bit of roasted pumpkin oil or flax seeds. (Though I'm not sure if it counts as a real green smoothie if you add a protein powder.)
#16 Old 04-25-2011, 04:24 PM

A smoothie I like to have is: spinach, banana, strawberries, water, and chia seeds. So easy and delicious, keeps me full for awhile too!
#17 Old 04-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufflon View Post

I love banana, frozen kale, cocoa powder, maca powder and some soy protein. Sometimes I add a bit of roasted pumpkin oil or flax seeds. (Though I'm not sure if it counts as a real green smoothie if you add a protein powder.)

I'm sure it does, as long as the powder is vegan. I always thought a green smoothie could be anything as long as there was greens in there.

Over my exam week I started adding granola and cereal to my smoothies cause I had no time to eat lol

I made one today with strawberries, mushrooms, almonds, cucumber, avacado, spinach, kale, red mango, chocolate almond milk and a bit of coconut milk
first time I made a smoothie without using a banana and it was good

#18 Old 04-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I need a better blender!! It took several minutes of me cramming the fruits/greens toward the tiny blades before it finally started blending
I made a delicious kale, banana, pear, strawberry smoothie today. My friend was asking me about green smoothies the other day, and I told him what I make, etc. He texted me yesterday and said he made one with yogurt, a banana, an orange, a ton of strawberries and like 3 handfuls of grapes...good effort ?? haha
#19 Old 04-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Good effort but he forgot the greens its just a smoothie without those lol

#20 Old 04-28-2011, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I bought kale this week instead of spinach for a change but I don't know if I'm brave enough to try it in a smoothie.
#21 Old 04-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I bought kale this week instead of spinach for a change but I don't know if I'm brave enough to try it in a smoothie.

Its really good

#22 Old 04-29-2011, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Its really good

I'm too scared! I made a smoothie with romaine once and I could really taste it.
#23 Old 04-29-2011, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I was shocked by what I could toss into a green smoothie. Even carrots!
It's so simple to keep frozen fruits in the freezer, and toss them into a blender with a few veggies, some sugar, and a pinch of salt. I've also experimented with a few grains.

It's a great way to eat fresh foods, and also clear out some surplus veggies in danger of going bad.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#24 Old 04-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm too scared! I made a smoothie with romaine once and I could really taste it.

You hate romaine smoothies? Those are my favorite kind! Did you have much fruit in it? I just had one today. Here's how I made it.

1 cup water
1 whole head of romaine
2 medium bananas (frozen)
2 T chia gel
1 t maca

If it tastes too green you can add a date or two or some agave, but I didn't find it too strong at all.
#25 Old 04-30-2011, 02:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. T View Post

You hate romaine smoothies? Those are my favorite kind! Did you have much fruit in it? I just had one today. Here's how I made it.
1 cup water
1 whole head of romaine
2 medium bananas (frozen)
2 T chia gel
1 t maca
If it tastes too green you can add a date or two or some agave, but I didn't find it too strong at all.

I don't know why but I find that romaine has a very strong taste in smoothies. Spinach is fine though. I do have a banana, a pear, a couple of apples and some kale that I'm going to blend up later. I suppose I might as well try kale raw once.
#26 Old 05-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Next time you're in a grocery store, go read the labels on the V8 Splash juices, or any other brand that combines fruit juice and vegetable juice. They chose the vegetables they did because they blend the best with fruits...I know carrot juice is a popular one. Carrots also blend well in the blender.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#27 Old 05-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Cucumber is really good in smoothies too, it makes it taste, I dunno fresher or crisper or something

#28 Old 05-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried kale and it was quite tasty. I'm going to go and buy some more fruit tomorrow.
#29 Old 05-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I tried kale and it was quite tasty. I'm going to go and buy some more fruit tomorrow.

I told you so :P
Glad you liked it, it adds an odd texture that a lot of people don't seem to be fond of, but my blender sucks, so that could be the issue. There are days when chewing is involved in the "drinking" of my smoothie

#30 Old 05-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I told you so :P
Glad you liked it, it adds an odd texture that a lot of people don't seem to be fond of, but my blender sucks, so that could be the issue. There are days when chewing is involved in the "drinking" of my smoothie

haha my blender sucks too, it has like 2 tiny blades and I constantly have to turn the blender off and cram the fruit/greens towards the blades. I have heard that blending greens + water first works well though. I've definitely had to take a few bites of my smoothies too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page