Green smoothies - Page 7 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

#181 Old 05-21-2013, 11:58 AM

Drinking ( eating) kale/spinach (roots and all) celery, orange with watre and frozen banana and cranberries. plus 2 tbs chia seeds

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 Old 06-19-2013, 07:04 AM

I may have missed someone else's mention of it, since this thread is super-long by now, but nut butters are one of the BEST smoothie additions (I'm partial to peanut butter, but have heard almond, cashew, etc are great as well). Keeps me full for so much longer than just fruit & veg!

I've noticed that a handful of frozen strawberries + a generous scoop of peanut butter + 2 tbsp stevia gives smoothies a sweetness similar to that of Cap'n Crunch Berries. It's a guilty pleasure, for sure.

Has anyone tried blending frozen melon (cantaloupe, honeydew, etc) into their smoothies? I hear they add a thick, creamy texture the way almond or soymilk would, but haven't tried it yet.

#183 Old 06-19-2013, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, this thread is in the raw food forum, so people wouldn't be suggesting cooked foods like peanut butter in their smoothies.  Nuts don't digest /combine well with sweet fruits.

Big Foot Marty likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#184 Old 06-20-2013, 01:18 PM

Eek, my mistake. 

#185 Old 07-11-2013, 05:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I had the best smoothie the other day! It was so delicious, I was kind of sad when it was gone... 

1 fully ripe banana

1-2 frozen nectarines

3 large handfuls of radish greens and spinach

Some raw protein powder, berry flavoured 

1 tablespoon of chia seeds

1 piece of ginger (I love ginger, but add according to your tastes)

Enough water to blend

Delicious and easy! 

Naza likes this.
#186 Old 07-29-2013, 05:29 PM

I had spinach, loads of pineapple and lemon. The taste was a little to the sour side but I liked it. Nowadays I tend to use less number of fruits to see how the smoothie tastes like. it is always just fruits with vege. No fanciful things like protein powder, milk, soya etc
#187 Old 07-29-2013, 05:34 PM

I need to get myself back on a green smoothie challenge. I did a 30 day one a few months ago but fell out of the habit. I think the vitamix is getting lonely lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
#188 Old 07-29-2013, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanipani View Post
No fanciful things like protein powder, milk, soya etc

Good!  NO need for processed foods in your healthy green smoothie.  Fruits and vegetables are perfect.  No powders needed.  :)

#189 Old 08-01-2013, 09:36 PM

I work on an organic farm and my host would make me the best date and banana smoothies. 

2 inches of water in the blender

5 Bananas

7 dates

It's a hearty shake and a filling afternoon meal.

I wrote a rap about living a FRUITARIAN lifestyle, it's on Youtube. Perhaps someone might find it inspiring?

Enjoy friends!

#190 Old 08-02-2013, 05:05 PM

Baby kale has a much milder taste than the larger leaves, so you may want to try that out first until you get used to the taste.  I just heard the other day, it sometimes takes 8-9 tries of  new food experience before you really like it :)  Personally I love just about any greens in my smoothies, including kale, collards, Swiss chard, romaine, sprouts, Bok choy, etc.

#191 Old 08-04-2013, 05:34 PM

I typically make smoothies with spinach, bananas, berries (whatever I have on hand), and ground flax seed.

Lately I've been adding silken tofu and coconut oil.  Some days I use all the ingredients, others I just use a few.  But I always use spinach and bananas at the very least.

Not all who wander are lost.

#192 Old 08-16-2013, 07:57 AM

so many great ideas! excited to try changing it up today for lunch and dinner , thanks :)

#193 Old 08-22-2013, 05:06 AM

I love adding coconut and chia seeds (not necessarily together).  My favorite recipe is the coconutty - 

http://www.smoothiequest.com/coconutty/

Big Foot Marty likes this.
#194 Old 09-02-2013, 05:24 PM

I usually just do 2 cups of kale, a banana, and 1 cup of almond and/or soy milk and some ice. sometimes i'll put in some flax or chia seeds...

I haven't tried romaine or spinach in  my green smoothie but after hearing about it I think I want to

#195 Old 01-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

This morning I made a smoothie consisting of:

banana

frozen blueberries

orange

oats

flax seeds

soy milk

two huge handfuls of mixed greens (spinach, chards etc.)

It was great.

Naza likes this.
#196 Old 01-04-2014, 08:14 AM

My favorites are Lemmon juice, honey, 2 handfuls of mint with crushed ice or avocado and coconut milk...... Makes a really thick yummy smoothie!
#197 Old 01-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmoonshine View Post

My favorites are Lemmon juice, honey, 2 handfuls of mint with crushed ice or avocado and coconut milk...... Makes a really thick yummy smoothie!
So avocado goes well in smoothies? I've thought about it before but never tried it.
#198 Old 01-04-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

So avocado goes well in smoothies? I've thought about it before but never tried it.[/quot really really well, you can also add melted chocolate and it tastes like its a full on mega cream choc milkshake
#199 Old 01-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmoonshine View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

So avocado goes well in smoothies? I've thought about it before but never tried it.[/quot really really well, you can also add melted chocolate and it tastes like its a full on mega cream choc milkshake
Now we're talking! grin.gif
#200 Old 01-06-2014, 03:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Saturday morning I had a smoothie with cantaloupe, frozen banana, cucumber, and chicory leaves.   I made enough for my husband too.  Although he is a big meat and dairy lover and usually only eats vegetables if doused with all kinds of crap on his portion, I convinced him to try the smoothie and he drank the whole thing in one sitting!  No sugar added or anything as the chicory leaves are naturally sweet.  It took a bit to convince him to try it due to the bright green color but once he did he loved it.  Woot woot!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#201 Old 01-08-2014, 05:03 AM

Just started making smoothies for breakfast    :)

3 carrots

1 small beetroot

3 large sticks celery

1 pear

1 kiwi

1 cup spinach

1/2 cup watercress

1 pint water

Naza likes this.
#202 Old 01-08-2014, 02:39 PM

I accidentally made one that tastes like those "rosy apple" sweets you used to get as a kid. 

Its not 100% ideal as it contains soda water (ETA but could be replaced with plain fresh water) but I think it makes a nice green smoothie for beginners :)

(But it does contain kale and Brussels sprouts!):

http://flash-gordonette.com/2014/01/08/25-rosy-apple-green-smoothie.aspx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://www.facebook.com/flash.gordonette.5

Twitter: @Flashgordonette

#203 Old 01-09-2014, 02:18 PM

I make this smoothie or at least a variation of it for breakfast daily.

2 cups raw kale
1 cup vanilla soy milk
1 banana
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 cup frozen mango
1/4 cup raw almonds

I think it's pretty tasty. Thin it out with water to get it to the consistency you like. 😊
PreludeToADream likes this.
#204 Old 01-10-2014, 06:36 PM

Mine I call it Firecracker Smoothie 

This is a great post cardio boost.

Home made almond milk
1/2 an organic Avocado
1 organic banana
1 small organic pear
2 big handfuls of organic kale
2 scoops of chocolate Sunwarrior® raw protein powder
1 tsp of mesquite powder
dash of cayenne pepper
dash of cinnamon and nutmeg

Pop it all in the Ladyship Organic Essence Extractor and blend away. Can add some ice and water if you like it a little thinner.

I hope everyone will like it! ;)

Get Fit from Within 
Nazafit Online Fitness and Nutrition - CHEK Holistic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach, Master personal trainer, IPAC Physique conditioning coach and whole live food nutrition expert

http://www.nazafit.com.au/

#205 Old 01-25-2014, 04:46 AM

I was inspired by this forum to give green smoothies a go, and this morning, I made a pretty tasty one with lemon balm. I thought I'd share it here:

1 banana
A couple of tablespoons of flaxseed
A bit of avocado (had some leftovers)
About three handfuls of fresh pineapple
Half a glass of fresh orange juice
Water
A couple of handfuls of lemon balm

The smoothie tastes exotic and fresh, and the lemon balm gives it a very mild, green flavour. Yum!
#206 Old 01-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneMaria View Post

I was inspired by this forum to give green smoothies a go, and this morning, I made a pretty tasty one with lemon balm. I thought I'd share it here:

1 banana
Water

The smoothie tastes exotic and fresh, and the lemon balm gives it a very mild, green flavour. Yum!
Great idea with the lemon balm! smiley.gif
#207 Old 01-26-2014, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneMaria View Post

1 banana
Water

Mmmmm, that does sound good ! I need to get some lemon balm :)

#208 Old 04-03-2014, 08:01 AM

Favourite smoothie at the moment: 1 banana, a good handful of spinach, orange juice, ginger, flax seeds and water. So good!
#209 Old 04-06-2014, 06:23 PM

No favourite recipes here, I don't even care much if it's not that tasty, I just get it down me. It helps to make it thinner rather than thicker, so I make sure I add plenty of water.

However, when I make green smoothies for my kids I use more fruit than I would just for me and I make sure it's tasty otherwise they won't drink it. I typically buy organic fruit when it's on special to keep it cheaper and freeze it. I do my best to use different greens and again just buy the organic greens that are on special. 

When you don't like the flavour add more water. Strawberries, lemons or other citrus fruits cover flavour well. I find melon covers lots of tastes as well, but I don't like the taste anymore if you leave it for a little while, although usually I drink my smoothies immediately.

Bananas and Avocados make a lovely smooth and creamy base. If you have a Vitamix blender use the avocado pits as well, they have more nutrients than the flesh. The top of the pineapple also has the most nutrition.

I look to buy mostly organic and GMO free since we eat loads of fruit and veg in our family and I don't want to fill up on pesticides and things like that. 

https://
for stone ground, bean-to-bar, vegan, white, milk and dark, caramel and raw chocolate
Like our new Facebook page: https://
cost international shipping!

#210 Old 08-02-2014, 01:31 AM
Banned

You hate romaine smoothies? Those are my favorite kind! Did you have much fruit in it? I just had one today. Here's how I made it.

1 cup water
1 whole head of romaine
2 medium bananas (frozen)
2 T chia gel
1 t maca

If it tastes too green you can add a date or two or some agave, but I didn't find it too strong at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page