an obs about raw/whole foods and coffee/caffeine addiction - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-03-2010, 07:10 AM
Beginner

Recently I fell off the wagon a bit on my whole foods, high-raw diet. Still vegan, but too much junk food (way too much) and not enough whole foods. I found myself needing coffee in the a.m. and the mid-day just to function.

I pulled the plug on this debacle and got my diet back on track. I didn't drink coffee day 1 (detox day) and now I don't need it at all (just a few days later). I don't even miss it. I have my energy back, I'm sleeping better, and I'm over coffee.

Have other people found this to be true? I'm starting to wonder if caffeine is just a coping mechanism for problems caused by poor diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Definitely. I have gotten rid of caffeine/coffee I think three times now, and it was the same every time: I felt like I needed it and couldn't function without it. The first day of no coffee, I felt like I couldn't get up and might have had to call off work. The next few days are tough but I stick through it. All of the sudden, I have more energy than ever and feel free of the addiction. It's great! Coffee and me don't mix. It's mostly a stressful event/PTS that I would start drinking it again (espresso). And then it's hard to stop once you start again! Kind of like cigarettes.
#3 Old 10-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Beginner

Since I've gone raw the only thing I can't stop consuming that isn't raw is Diet Coke. I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to the caffeine and I have to take sleeping pills every night to counteract all of the soda. I'm not drinking as much as I used to because I'm making sure to drink 3 liters of water as well, but it's still very difficult.

I wonder if I tried to let go now that my diet is much better if it would be easier. Reading your post is definitely encouraging...hmmm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-04-2010, 07:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I have found this to be true for me as well. I stopped drinking coffee because it was upsetting my stomach and I noticed a huge difference in my sleep pattern that I wasnt anticipating.

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
#5 Old 10-04-2010, 10:45 PM

I go thru phases where I'll have a daily cup of coffee and then I'll switch to tea for a few weeks, and then go weeks without any caffeine, although there is often a withdrawal or some sleeping problems with these patterns.
After weeks of coffee, a switch to tea makes the transition easier.

Sometimes the green smoothies in the morning are so activating that I won't dare have coffee or tea. Like, this morning, I made a raw vegan chocolate shake with water, cacao beans and powder, macadamia nuts, apple, pear, and frozen banana in the blender,,, and I wouldn't consider any coffee or tea.
#6 Old 10-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I am no longer the coffee fiend I was once, that's for sure. I can really tell the difference between synthetic chemical energy and natural fruit energy. I still drink some coffee though as I'm both a creature of habit, unfortunately, and not 100% raw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page