VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Raw Food Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/188-raw-food-support-forum/)
-   -   Cashew "cheese", Cashew "ranch", Cashew "alfredo" etc... (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/188-raw-food-support-forum/115988-cashew-cheese-cashew-ranch-cashew-alfredo-etc.html)

kari_lynn222 08-17-2010 06:22 AM

Has or does anyone use/d cashews to mock sauces, cheese or anything else? I tried making a "ranch" dressing that was cashews as the base and it was just not very good, I ended up dumping it. Then there is a raw food restaurant here that has a cashew & macadamia nut "alfredo" that is fantastic! Well I managed to get the recipe and made it at home and it just didn't turn out right either!

I am just wondering if anyone else uses cashews where they turn out, and if so, perhaps you know what I might be doing wrong or have tips to make it turn out?

My stuff turns out kind of gritty and bland.

saxyphonist 08-17-2010 08:06 AM

I like this recipe: https://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...e&daysprune=-1

It's a bit bland but it's very creamy and it tastes great if you grind lots of black pepper onto it after serving.

VeganTigress 08-17-2010 08:14 AM

Kari, Pick up the cookbook "The Conscious Cook" Tal is uses cashew creams a lot and shows you how to make the most AMAZING soups and sauces from it. I am drooling just thinking about it now!!

kari_lynn222 08-17-2010 08:17 AM

I am just worried that my stuff won't turn out since it hasn't in the past... I am afraid of trying to use ground cashews and that they will taste bad go to waste again.... like I must be doing something wrong in the process???

VeganTigress 08-17-2010 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari_lynn222 View Post

I am just worried that my stuff won't turn out since it hasn't in the past... I am afraid of trying to use ground cashews and that they will taste bad go to waste again.... like I must be doing something wrong in the process???

Trust me hun, my husband is a diaster in the kitchen and he can even do this guys recipes! LOL! I tried them and they always come out amazing. You need more confidence my dear, that goes a long way and it's trial and error. I have made some of THEE most heinous food in the past, but I can now make some pretty amazing "go to" dishes

caseydoll 08-17-2010 10:22 AM

I wish I could offer some advice but I haven't tried making anything with cashews yet. I have a recipe that I want to try that uses them though. What are you grinding them up with? Maybe they aren't getting ground up fine enough? I hope someone can help you because I don't want to ruin any recipes either. Plus those cashews are expensive! lol

Pixie 08-17-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

I like this recipe: https://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...e&daysprune=-1

It's a bit bland but it's very creamy and it tastes great if you grind lots of black pepper onto it after serving.

Oh yum, I'm trying this.

Brandon 08-17-2010 02:26 PM

I make cashew cheese, similar to the recipe Saxy posted. I spice mine a little differently and usually use it to make nachos. And I definitely add in the nutritional yeast, as per the option to leave it out in that recipe. I've also used a thicker version of it for macaroni and cheese.

Tried it on pizza once, it was horrible as a pizza topping.

It's awesome as a "queso" dip or for nachos.

penny79 08-17-2010 02:33 PM

was this meant to be posted in the raw forum?

kari_lynn222 08-17-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

was this meant to be posted in the raw forum?

yes, it is a raw recipe using raw cashews (I know you prefer not to eat them because of their high calorie content but they still qualify as a raw food) and using cashews to mimic cheeses, sauces etc is very common from what I've seen, in raw foodism. And I got the original recipe from a raw food restaurant. So I asked other raw foodists if they have any experience using cashews and what their outcome has been or if they have any tips because it hasn't ever turned out for me.

silva 08-17-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

I like this recipe: https://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...e&daysprune=-1

It's a bit bland but it's very creamy and it tastes great if you grind lots of black pepper onto it after serving.

That's like what I make. I always soak the raw cashews first. I think they come out creamier. I add lots of garlic, and herbs-basil or rosemary. Usually no nut. yeast. I think it's a great sauce!
Unless you just don't like cashews, I don't see how you can wrong with the right recipe.
How about you post your recipe and see what others think may of gone wrong?

silva 08-17-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari_lynn222 View Post

yes, it is a raw recipe using raw cashews (I know you prefer not to eat them because of their high calorie content but they still qualify as a raw food) and using cashews to mimic cheeses, sauces etc is very common from what I've seen, in raw foodism. And I got the original recipe from a raw food restaurant. So I asked other raw foodists if they have any experience using cashews and what their outcome has been or if they have any tips because it hasn't ever turned out for me.

I didn't notice this was the raw forum!
I like this spread a lot:
3/4 cup raw cashews soaked overnight and drained
3T. olive oil
3t. coconut oil
3t. lemon juice
lemon zest
1t. tahini
garlic to taste
Whir in a food processor or good blender till smooth

penny79 08-17-2010 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari_lynn222 View Post

yes, it is a raw recipe using raw cashews (I know you prefer not to eat them because of their high calorie content but they still qualify as a raw food)

actually, i was just asking because no one who responded seemed to understand, as they posted cooked recipes.

also, cashews have to be steamed, so even if labeled "raw," they aren't. i prefer not to eat them because of their high fat content, i love me high calorie foods.

silva 08-17-2010 03:35 PM

I forget if cashews are called a tree nut. Walnuts are eaten raw.
What other nut gets called raw, that is really steamed?

penny79 08-17-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I forget if cashews are called a tree nut. Walnuts are eaten raw.
What other nut gets called raw, that is really steamed?

i've read all of them, and also seeds, as what we see as the pecan labeled as raw and how we taste it is much drier than if the moisture/water content were kept intact. they are steamed due to the fungus/mold on them. some people can grab them off the tree - that is the only way to get them raw.

if you want to eat them, i'd consider it a good thing they're steamed, considering the mold risks.

saxyphonist 08-17-2010 03:42 PM

Oops, you're right Penny, I didn't notice this was the raw forum. I just followed link from the new post list.

penny79 08-17-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

Oops, you're right Penny, I didn't notice this was the raw forum. I just followed link from the new post list.

yeah, i figured.....i mean besides the fact that the cashews aren't raw, the other ingredients weren't, either.

Begonia 08-17-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

also, cashews have to be steamed, so even if labeled "raw," they aren't. i prefer not to eat them because of their high fat content, i love me high calorie foods.

Thanks for pointing this out: that even "raw" cashews aren't really raw. This is very often overlooked by "raw-fooders."

Also, the recipes may have failed because the cashews weren't fresh.

silva 08-17-2010 05:12 PM

I eat black walnuts right from trees. Not many because they're messy, but I never heard about mold!

Doktormartini 08-17-2010 07:20 PM

Grind some cashews with a little sea salt, lemon juice, shallot, garlic, and nutritional yeast.

shortstack 08-18-2010 04:34 PM

thanks for Clarifying penny.

I have heard a lot about Cashew cheese and the local vegan joint here makes a killer cashew cheese! (wondering now if thats what their "to die for alfredo" is made of too).. I have been craving it like crazy! i haven't tried recreating it yet though.

From everything i have read about nut creams they are usually soaked for a while first

clarita osita 08-18-2010 04:53 PM

I made cashew cheese once (don't have the recipe anymore, sorry), and it worked ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I eat black walnuts right from trees. Not many because they're messy, but I never heard about mold!

My guess is that the mold is only an issue when you're trying to package and transport them.

yumy 08-19-2010 12:10 AM

are you trying to mimic the pizza luce recipe? Their rinotta is alright, doesn't really taste like cheese but it doesn't taste bad either. pretty spicy which I like.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.