Raw Weight Loss...(hit a road block!) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 08-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Alicia Avocado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,469
Okay...so here it goes...

Before I went raw I ate a vegan diet, however, grains were a favourite of mine and I did not eat as many fruits as I do now. I went raw a couple months ago, and I lost 5-7 lbs in the first month. Now, I have been stuck at the same weight for a month. I am eating under or a max of 1,500 cals a day, and the only cooked food I eat is a small serving of simply prepared tofu (grilled or baked and put onto a salad or whatever) with dinner just to help me transition.

ETA: If I eat over 1,500 calories a day I quickly gain about 10 lbs in a month, so eating more is not an option.

Help!
Alicia Avocado is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 08-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular
 
penny79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,946
Change your exercise? Don't count greens in your calorie intake? No dressings/salt?
penny79 is offline  
#3 Old 08-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Alicia Avocado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

Change your exercise? Don't count greens in your calorie intake? No dressings/salt?

As far as exercise goes, I just try to get out for a walk now and then. It sounds lame I know...but my social anxiety really makes it hard to leave the house sometimes. But, we are looking at getting a treadmill

I think I'm going to take your advice and avoid dressings and salt, I do use the occaisional dressing on a salad, as for some reason I'm not liking greens as much as I used to! I'm a salt junky, but have really cut back. Perhaps '0' is the key...my S/O keeps buying diet fresca, and it pisses me off because that's the one thing I;ve cut back on/want to eliminate. I usually only have about 1 glass a day, but I think it has sodium in it as well.
Alicia Avocado is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 08-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular
 
janiejones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 743
Maybe you've just also hit a plateau with weight loss. I don't know why that happens sometimes or what to do about it precisely, but I know many of people experience temporary stops in their weight loss with no change in diet/exercise. You could also just be retaining a little water from sodium. Either way, it sounds like you're doing a good job with everything & I don't see any reason why the weight loss wouldn't pick up again.
janiejones is offline  
#5 Old 08-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Envy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Heaven
Posts: 6,548
buy and use weight training equipment

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
Envy is offline  
#6 Old 08-16-2010, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular
 
xamorphia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 221
Is there any way you could afford a cheap stationary bike? Cardio really helps with weight loss, and you could do that from home, if you had the bike. An elliptical or, if you had space for it, a treadmill, would work just as well.
xamorphia is offline  
#7 Old 08-17-2010, 03:00 AM
Veggie Regular
 
clarita osita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,862
Exercise videos can be fun if you find one that's the type of thing you like. I have a couple pilates and yoga videos, which are fun for me.
clarita osita is offline  
#8 Old 08-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Alicia Avocado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarita Osita View Post

Exercise videos can be fun if you find one that's the type of thing you like. I have a couple pilates and yoga videos, which are fun for me.

I do yoga daily, it has no impact on any weight loss for me

Update....

After cutting out dressings etc I actually gained a lb. All I am eating and fruits and veggies now as I'm going to cut out nuts and seeds.

To be honest. I'm really really ****ing depressed over all of this. I've counted calories, accurately weighed and measured my food, walk more, do yoga, drink lots of water.....

.....and my weight won't budge. I ****ing hate myself. It seems like everyone else in the world would be super thin if they ate like I do, but nope, not me. My body wants to be fat and refuses to allow my hard work to pay off in any way.
Alicia Avocado is offline  
#9 Old 08-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Beginner
 
Mishellia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 160
A healthy way to track why you might be stuck at a weight loss plateu is perhaps keeping a food journal. Tracking everything you eat (Even the little nibbles here and there) will usually show why your weight isn't budging. After you find a pattern or a problem you can find a solution. Cutting or even adding calories, increasing cardio or cutting out a certain fruit/veggie/oil a little more frequently might be in order. A common problem is that your body gets used to your lower intake after awhile and adapts. Tricking your body and constantly changing up your routine and diet is key to weight loss.
Mishellia is offline  
#10 Old 08-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Alicia Avocado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishellia View Post

Enter text here.A healthy way to track why you might be stuck at a weight loss plateu is perhaps keeping a food journal. Tracking everything you eat (Even the little nibbles here and there) will usually show why your weight isn't budging. After you find a pattern or a problem you can find a solution. Cutting or even adding calories, increasing cardio or cutting out a certain fruit/veggie/oil a little more frequently might be in order. A common problem is that your body gets used to your lower intake after awhile and adapts. Tricking your body and constantly changing up your routine and diet is key to weight loss.

I have kept an online journal for three months already. My calories alternate each day. But as far as the oils go, I'm only getting those from nuts and avocados. Maybe I should fast for a day? that's about all that is really left to do.
Alicia Avocado is offline  
#11 Old 08-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Alicia Avocado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamorphia View Post

Is there any way you could afford a cheap stationary bike? Cardio really helps with weight loss, and you could do that from home, if you had the bike. An elliptical or, if you had space for it, a treadmill, would work just as well.

This is an idea. I'm hoping to save for something like that, as gym memberships are so rediculous I may as well have something at home I can keep.
Alicia Avocado is offline  
#12 Old 08-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular
 
clarita osita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

I do yoga daily, it has no impact on any weight loss for me

Update....

After cutting out dressings etc I actually gained a lb. All I am eating and fruits and veggies now as I'm going to cut out nuts and seeds.

To be honest. I'm really really ****ing depressed over all of this. I've counted calories, accurately weighed and measured my food, walk more, do yoga, drink lots of water.....

.....and my weight won't budge. I ****ing hate myself. It seems like everyone else in the world would be super thin if they ate like I do, but nope, not me. My body wants to be fat and refuses to allow my hard work to pay off in any way.

Sometimes our bodies don't want to do what we want them to. I've just had to trust that mine has a reason for what it does, you know? I have very recently started to lose weight, but before that I just had to accept that even though I was eating well and trying to exercise regularly, that didn't necessarily mean my weight would change. But I KNEW I was healthier for the effort. I think that's the most important - building long-lasting health.

You mentioned fasting. That could kickstart your metabolism I guess, but it could also do the reverse by scaring your body into thinking it's not going to get fed and therefore needs to save whatever it can.
clarita osita is offline  
#13 Old 08-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular
 
penny79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,946
How often are you weighing yourself and why?

I could see you have more water/hydration in you from fruits/vegetables. That's A GOOD thing. Dehydration = not good.
penny79 is offline  
#14 Old 08-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular
 
janiejones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 743
Also, I think if you're overly stressed about dieting and losing weight, that can cause your body to produce too much cortisol, which can negatively impact weight loss and can bother your blood pressure and lower your immune responses. Stressing out about weight loss is nooo good. Sometimes you've just got to be patient. You can't and shouldn't try to force your body to lose weight. It'll happen, just slowly. Ups and downs happen as well--your body could be retaining water, it could be around 'that time', etc.
janiejones is offline  
#15 Old 08-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular
 
AstarteManeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 397
It can also be if you're eating too LITTLE, weirdly. I noticed you said you were going to try cutting out nuts and seeds - if your body doesn't get enough calories it will actually convert what you eat to fat as it goes into 'emergency' mode, thinking it might not get fed again. Plus if you don't have a good carbs/fat/protein balance, your body will start breaking down muscle, and that's REALLY not a good place to be.

ÂMay all beings everywhere plagued with sufferings of body and mind quickly be freed from their pain. May those frightened cease to be afraid, and may those bound be free. May the powerless find power, and may people befriend all life. May those of all species who find themselves lost, the young,...
AstarteManeo is offline  
#16 Old 08-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Beginner
 
~~v~~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 130
I agree with eating too little theory: body thinking its starving, and therefore going into major conservation mode.
~~v~~ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off