Fluids? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a raw foodie, but I do try to eat raw as much as I can. So on days where I eat almost all raw, I find myself peeing a LOT. Even if I only drink enough water to quench my thirst (maybe 2 cups through the whole day). On days where I eat maybe only half raw, I need no more than 4 cups and even then I pee every couple of hours. I'm assuming this is normal?

I've been reading about how the whole "8 cups a day" of water is really arbitrary. Since lots of the fluid we get is through food, it depends a lot on your diet and so it makes sense to me that more fruits and veggies would put more fluid back into you.

So I'm curious how much you all drink? It's SO ingrained in me to aim for 8 cups a days that I'm having a hard time letting go of that. Obviously I don't need that much. It's really inconvenient to pee so much. LOL I would like to maybe even cut back on my water a tad and see how I do. I'll be fine right?

I just switched to veg*nism like 7 1/2 months ago. Before that it was LOTS of fast food and pizza and very little fruits and veggies, so this is kind of a big change for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I find the more sweet fruit I eat, the less water I need, but I still drink some. It's different every day.
#3 Old 07-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

It's more than likely because when you eat the whole foods uncooked, they retain more of their natural water content. For example, think about how much water cooks down when you saute` spinach. Eating that same amount raw, you also get all of the water. Like penny79 said, the more fresh fruit (high water content) the less water you need. As for how much water you are "supposed" to to drink in a day, I have a book on nutrition that says take your body weight divided by two, and that's how many ounces of water you should drink in a day. Now I'm sure that varies greatly for a lot of people, but I think that's about what I drink.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I drink about the same as before, but I definitely pee every couple hours. I think that's fine.
#5 Old 07-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog' date='01 July 2010 - 05:34 PM' timestamp='1278020066' post='2667533 View Post

I have a book on nutrition that says take your body weight divided by two, and that's how many ounces of water you should drink in a day. Now I'm sure that varies greatly for a lot of people, but I think that's about what I drink.

In lbs? And in addition to the water you get from food? Because that would be 75 oz a day. I'm in the bathroom all day if I aim for half that! See, that's why I'm so confused. Somethings say more, some say less. Some say to drink according to thirst, some say to drink enough so your pee stays light-colored. It seems like this should be common sense but a year ago it was "common sense" to me to eat meat and dairy in order to be healthy too.
#6 Old 07-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna_m' date='01 July 2010 - 07:19 PM' timestamp='1278029952' post='2667607 View Post

In lbs? And in addition to the water you get from food? Because that would be 75 oz a day. I'm in the bathroom all day if I aim for half that! See, that's why I'm so confused. Somethings say more, some say less. Some say to drink according to thirst, some say to drink enough so your pee stays light-colored. It seems like this should be common sense but a year ago it was "common sense" to me to eat meat and dairy in order to be healthy too.

Sorry, yes in lbs. That's the Ignorant American in me talking. Yeah, I don't make it my goal to make sure I drink that much, but find myself drinking that much anyway. I'd say just drink plenty of fluids all day. If you feel thirsty, that's the first sign of dehyrdration.
#7 Old 07-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog' date='01 July 2010 - 11:26 PM' timestamp='1278041200' post='2667673 View Post

Sorry, yes in lbs. That's the Ignorant American in me talking.

I'm an american too and automatically think in lbs but I just couldn't fathom 75 oz being right. LOL Either I just have a really small bladder or for some reason I just don't need very much extra fluid at all. I almost always have water or tea next to me and I never let myself get really thirsty. I used to be able to do 8 cups a day back when I ate a ton of hamburgers and fries, but not anymore. Eh, I haven't died yet so I'm probably ok.
#8 Old 07-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm I drink between probably 35oz to 60ish oz per day, depending on what I'm eating (ex. less water when I'm eating a lot of melon, etc.) or if I'm exercising/perspiring. I pee alllll the time. It's pretty much a running joke how much I have to get up and go to the bathroom, but I drink when I'm thirsty and I think I just have a pea sized bladder
#9 Old 07-07-2010, 03:03 PM

On average I drink around 84 oz. per day. I usually drink 1 to 2 8 oz. glasses of water in the evening depending on how thirsty I am. If I drink a smoothie in the evening then its usually only 8 oz. of water. I find since I am typically 80% raw...20% not, I am not as thirsty as I used to be. Plus I don't wake up with horrible dry mouth in the morning either!! For what its worth, I do go pee about every hour, so there is a down side to drinking that much water. But hey, just listen to what your body tells you to do!
#10 Old 07-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Check out snopes. The 8 glasses of water per day is a myth. If you get lots of fluids in your foods, and if you're peeing frequently, listen to your body rather than some words in a book.

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius
#11 Old 07-20-2010, 02:58 AM

If you eat a lot of fruit , especially the melons, then your water intake will go way down.

When food is cooked, the water is removed from the food by heat, so basically cooked food is dehydrated, thus the reason why we need to drink so much liquid

But on a high fruit raw food diet, no extra liquid may be required. This depends on how warm it is where you live and how much you exercise , etc.

Also, if you eat dehydrated raw foods, then some extra water would be necessary.

As well as nuts and seeds that are low in water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page