Curious... Raw foodism, why? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-02-2010, 03:52 PM

I've just been made aware of raw foodism, and I just want to know what are the benefits of it, why do you feel it is better, and what are the morals behind it? Is it safe? Etc., etc., you get it, I just want the basics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think cooked food is healthy. My option and choice is to eat raw.

Of course it's safe. Eating plant-based foods in their natural, fresh state makes common sense to me.
#3 Old 06-02-2010, 04:01 PM

Why does cooking food make it less healthy? I understand frying and things like that. But how does boiling or baking for example make food less healthy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd go on a raw food board for that question, like 30bananasaday. I don't feel like being mocked on here - this raw subforum isn't protected like the other support forums. The information is pretty easy to find. One link I like is http://rawforlife.co.uk/cooked_food.php
#5 Old 06-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

I'd go on a raw food board for that question, like 30bananasaday. I don't feel like being mocked on here - this raw subforum isn't protected like the other support forums. The information is pretty easy to find. One link I like is http://rawforlife.co.uk/cooked_food.php

I never thought about that before penny, but it ought to be. I don't like to see how you get treated here, as one of our more frequent raw posters. It's like watching a vegetarian get flamed by meat eaters. You'd think the people here would know better.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#6 Old 06-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Digestion feels better, more energy, body just runs more smoothly. Ditto to what else has been said as well.
#7 Old 06-03-2010, 06:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel-K View Post

Why does cooking food make it less healthy? I understand frying and things like that. But how does boiling or baking for example make food less healthy?

Well, when you boil something, any water-soluble vitamins will slip out of the food and into the water - then you pour the water down the drain. So that's a big one. Also, heat can kill a lot of the enzymes, and enzymes in food are very important to health. Heat changes certain nutrients as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

I never thought about that before penny, but it ought to be. I don't like to see how you get treated here, as one of our more frequent raw posters. It's like watching a vegetarian get flamed by meat eaters. You'd think the people here would know better.

I know, huh? It's kind of sad. This area should be protected in the same way the vegan and vegetarian forums are. If someone goes in to the vegetarian forum b****ing about how vegetarians are killing calves and chickens through eggs and milk, they'd get a stern talking to. If a vegetarian goes off in the vegan forum about vegans being extremist wackos, they'll get in trouble as well. So if someone comes into the raw forum going off on how it's crazy and unhealthy, they should be punished in the same way.
#8 Old 06-03-2010, 06:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Neat site, Penny, I bookmarked it. I'm moving in this direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

I don't like the hard time Penny is given either. I always find her posts to be very informative.
#9 Old 06-03-2010, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Cool site, thanks for posting!
#10 Old 06-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarita Osita View Post

I know, huh? It's kind of sad. This area should be protected in the same way the vegan and vegetarian forums are. If someone goes in to the vegetarian forum b****ing about how vegetarians are killing calves and chickens through eggs and milk, they'd get a stern talking to. If a vegetarian goes off in the vegan forum about vegans being extremist wackos, they'll get in trouble as well. So if someone comes into the raw forum going off on how it's crazy and unhealthy, they should be punished in the same way.

I've noticed this as well and I'm only medium to high raw (percentage-wise) eater. Someone posting "wow that's a lot of fruit" or something to that effect in the food log threads is totally fine, but I've definitely noticed other less-than-fine responses to raw foods posts and I'm not crazy about it at all....
#11 Old 06-11-2010, 07:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I agree.

Thanks to Penny I've been eating more and more raw lately. for me, I can say that my body just seems to "run" better. I'm more "regular" (sorry,tmi) and my skin looks a lot better.

Thanks for the link!

Atame.
#12 Old 06-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Of course it's safe. Eating plant-based foods in their natural, fresh state makes common sense to me.

For me, when I eat things raw in their simple natural state, it almost feels like I'm scrubbing out all the gunk from inside my body. It's like a good thorough cleaning for your insides...haha. I don't eat raw, I'm too undisciplined just yet, but I truly admire those who choose this as a lifestyle!

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#13 Old 06-11-2010, 07:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel-K View Post

I've just been made aware of raw foodism, and I just want to know what are the benefits of it, why do you feel it is better, and what are the morals behind it? Is it safe? Etc., etc., you get it, I just want the basics.

Purely for the sake of chipping something in ...

This, from the Essene Gospel of Peace:

Quote:
"Master, where is the fire of life?" asked some of them.

"In you, in your blood, and in your bodies."

"And the fire of death?" asked others.

"It is the fire which blazes outside your body, which is hotter than your blood. With that fire of death you cook your foods in your homes and in your fields. I tell you truly, it is the same fire which destroys your foods and your bodies, even as the fire of malice, which ravages your thoughts, ravages your spirits. For your body is that which you eat, and your spirit is that which you think. Eat nothing, therefore, which a stronger fire than the fire of life has killed. Wherefore, prepare and eat all fruits of trees, and all grasses of the fields, and all milk of beasts good for eating. For all these are fed and ripened by the fire of life; all are the gift of the angels of our Earthly Mother. But eat nothing to which only the fire of death gives savor, for such is of Satan."

#14 Old 06-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarita Osita View Post

Eeek, I didn't realize that was happening. We had our own board for a while, but there just wasn't enough interest to keep it going. Which is too bad, it would have avoided these sorts of problems. Perhaps a suggestion to ownership for your own forum mod or some rules for the current mod team to enforce is in order.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#15 Old 06-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Administrator

I didn't realize that was going on here, I meant for it to be a "protected" area. If it happens in the future please pm me a link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#16 Old 06-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you!!

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#17 Old 06-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, Michael. It's a bit disconcerting and discouraging......appreciate any help.
#18 Old 06-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

I noticed a lot of bashing going on in that '30 bananas a day' thread but truthfully I think penny was the most coherent poster there. Don't let 'em get you down penny! Just goes to show there are intolerant jerks everywhere, call it human nature.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#19 Old 07-21-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79' date='03 June 2010 - 11:57 AM' timestamp='1275519421' post='2649542 View Post

I'm really interested in raw foodism too. In saying that I don't think I could ever go totally raw, but I'd love to make most of my diet raw.

Fresh food just feels so much better.
#20 Old 07-23-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron' date='21 July 2010 - 06:00 AM' timestamp='1279706458' post='2676696 View Post

I'm really interested in raw foodism too. In saying that I don't think I could ever go totally raw, but I'd love to make most of my diet raw.

Fresh food just feels so much better.

I'm not 100% raw, but right now i am eating 2lbs of grapes and 2 mangos for breakfast and feel great. (800-880 cals)

The trick to eating raw is low fat, so you want most calories from fruit!!!

read 80 10 10 , it will make sense.

Cooking destroys nutrients, we are the only animals that does this.

If we believe in saving the environment, then why would we want to waste the precious nutrients by destroying them by heat??

Also, not all the nutrients are know, only 10- 20% is the guess. There are phytonutrients and enzymes that are 100% destroyed by heat,

and it is believed that our bodies could use them for health.
#21 Old 07-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

I have found Penny's posts informative too, and I'm trying to incorporate more raw meals into my diet.
#22 Old 07-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you. Glad I could help out in some way.
#23 Old 07-25-2010, 08:03 AM
Banned

Thank YOU
#24 Old 07-31-2010, 12:40 PM

As a new poster, i can imagine that this is the wrong thread to ask questions in, but i will do it anyways if you don't mind!

i have two thoughts on raw foodism:

1. I was under the impression that certain vegetables needed to be cooked in some way to both release more nutrients and to make them more digestable in our bodies

2. The reason i've been interested in raw foodism is because since i've stopped using a microwave, i've researched as to why others choose not to... which has led me to debates on how microwaves heat foods in ways no different than frying, baking, cooking, and boiling. so in that respect... are microwaves as safe as cooking or is cooking as dangerous as microwaves?

thoughts, comments, referals?
#25 Old 08-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Microwaves seem to be feared by so many people because people generally don't really know what's going on in that big, humming box. But the fact is, microwaves heat food just like anything else (frying, baking, boiling). I'm just getting interested into raw foods, so I've been studying these things recently. Cooking foods tends to reduce their vitamin and overall nutrient content (with some exceptions), alters the structure of the protein, and forms various carcinogens (acrylamide, HCAs, PAHs). Like I said, there are some exceptions in the reductions of vitamins and antioxidants. Cooked tomatoes have an increased concentration and bioavalability of lycopene, and peanuts have higher concentrations of antioxidants after being roasted, for example. But generally, more vitamins and nutrients remain in foods in their raw state.
#26 Old 08-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, tomatoes have a lot more going for 'em than lycopene.
#27 Old 08-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnarticalAdventure' date='31 July 2010 - 02:40 PM' timestamp='1280605204' post='2681277 View Post

1. I was under the impression that certain vegetables needed to be cooked in some way to both release more nutrients and to make them more digestable in our bodies

I believe some peoples' thoughts on that matter is that if certain vegetables or other food items need to be cooked to release nutrients or to be more easily digested, then they aren't meant to be eaten in the first place and instead of those cooked, hard-to-digest foods, fruits & veggies that can be eaten in their raw state are preferred.
#28 Old 08-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79' date='01 August 2010 - 11:21 AM' timestamp='1280679685' post='2681641 View Post

Yeah, tomatoes have a lot more going for 'em than lycopene.

The same can be said about the vaunted vitamin C in fruits and vegetables. And many other nutrients for that matter. People focus too much on isolated nutrients, buying all these supplements to replace fruits and vegetables. But the evidence just doesn't add up. Both isolated vitamin C and lycopene have been shown to not really have very big health benefits compared the the whole food. The "magic" is in the sum of the parts!
#29 Old 08-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawCanadian' date='23 July 2010 - 05:32 AM' timestamp='1279888333' post='2677677 View Post

I'm not 100% raw, but right now i am eating 2lbs of grapes and 2 mangos for breakfast and feel great. (800-880 cals)

The trick to eating raw is low fat, so you want most calories from fruit!!!

This many calories in one meal isnt a bit much?
#30 Old 08-02-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfarvito' date='02 August 2010 - 02:25 AM' timestamp='1280730352' post='2682003 View Post

This many calories in one meal isnt a bit much?

No, not for me.

I am 6'2", weight 204 lbs and have just lost 10 lbs since going veg*n.

(just under 15% bodyfat)

My calories for the day fall between 3200-3500, just to maintain my weight.

I usually eat 4 meals + one raw salad (and I mean raw, no dressing, no oils).

If your caloric daily intake is 2200 / day, then you could do 3 meals of around 700 or 4 meals at 550.

If you have snacks between the meals you can lower the calories for each meal as well.

My routine doesn't include snacks, since I am eating a meal every 3 1/2 hours.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page