Raw vs cooked food - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-05-2010, 06:46 AM
Banned

State here the health arguments for becoming a raw vegan.

So far I have heard...

1. Raw food has active enzymes and they help us digest food

2. Raw food has more nutrients

3. Raw food has "life force"

4. Raw food is easier to digest

5. Cooked food has toxins

Now personally I do not believe in points 1,2,3 but I'm pondering over 4,5. I have heard of the Maillard reaction. Anyone can add to this discussion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihai_alexandru View Post

So far I have heard...

Now personally I do not believe in points 1,2,3 but I'm pondering over 4,5. I have heard of the Maillard reaction. Anyone can add to this discussion?

From a personal perspective: I just began a 95% raw diet the first of the year. The un-raw part would be herbal teas. Everything else is raw. I have been a vegetarian for over two years, so I had already noticed health benefits before. However, with this raw eating I find that I have more energy and my mind seems to be clearer. Nothing scientific about that but just a personal perspective. on to your points:

1. Raw food has active enzymes and they help us digest food Doesn't all foods have a certain amount of active enzymes to help with digestion?

2. Raw food has more nutrients I agree with this statement. Although some micro-nutrients are enhanced through cooking (i.e. tomatoes), a lot more is lost during the cooking process. The major reason being that most of the time food is over-cooked and the end product is nowhere near the original. Most nutrients are found directly under the skin of most fruits and vegetables.

3. Raw food has "life force" I agree, but then again this is more of a personal statement.

4. Raw food is easier to digest There are some vegetables that are more difficult to digest than others. Where the digestion problems come from in cooked food goes back to how the food is cooked. Eating fruits and vegetables in their natural state eliminates adding unnecessary additives to the food.

5. Cooked food has toxins Cooked foods can have more toxins based again on how the food is prepared. When you begin to tamper with the original state of something, you introduce other factors into the end product.

Raw food is a VERY personal choice. The arguments for or against raw foods are strictly based on personal choice and perception. There are studies going on about the long term benefits of eating a raw diet, but even those results will be debated for many years to come.

I have found during my own researching that cooked food does nothing extraordinary to add to the value or nutritional quality of food. All the nutrition a body needs can be found in raw fruits and vegetables. It is important however to watch what you eat more closely. It is up to the individual to listen to their bodys needs and adjust their intake of specific fruits and vegetables.

Just my 2 cents
#3 Old 01-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

The body reacts negatively to cooked foods. I wouldn't say that most or all cooked foods "have more toxins."

You're comparing raw foods as a whole to cooked foods as a whole. You forgot what processes them - your body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihai_alexandru View Post

So far I have heard...

1. This is similar to number 4. Raw foods do have enzymes that are destroyed by heat, but enzymes are also have optimal ph levels and are also destroyed if the ph is too high or low, such as in the stomach. Many of the enzymes are destroyed in the stomach.

2. I agree. Tomatoes were mentioned because of the Lycopene probably, but it's funny that this one ALWAYS comes up when lycopene is found in many foods such as watermelons, gac, grapefruit, guava, goji berries, papaya, red bell peppers...etc

3. No lol

4. I think this depends on the food. Cooking makes some foods easier to digest because it breaks down components inside that food.

5. I think it depends on the food. Like it is known that cooking meat at high temperatures releases heterocylic amines which are known carcinogens. Regarding the Maillard Reaction, this is pretty interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillar...ion#Physiology

"Apart from ocular diseases, whose correlation with Maillard chemistry has been more recently studied, the formation of AGEs has also proven to contribute to a wide range of human diseases which include diabetic complications, pulmonary fibrosis, and neurodegeneration."

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page