No, it's not allowed in my neighborhood. 0 0%
No, it's too much work, and I don't have the time. 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 04-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelson View Post

Yea, I give the birds my dogs fir in the spring - believe me, there is lots. The one that I shave is a portugese water dog and I don't shave her in the winter all that much so her first spring close shave produces a bag full. I have been composting hair for years. I have never seen the hair in the composted soil that comes out so I really don't know... But, I like to think that a part of us has become part of the earth on our property so even if we ever leave, there is still a part of us there.

Thats a cool way to look at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 04-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelson View Post

I compost! I even compost my dogs fur as well as human hair ( I cut them both)

Fur and hair is great for composting. It builds the nitrogen levels of the mix.

Also, to another poster: If you bury the compost, most pets will leave it alone. We have a neighborhood fox who digs around in mine a little. He's pretty clean about it though - digs a little hole and noses around. I haven't taught him to fill the hole in yet...
#33 Old 04-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Ahh I fixed my issue with my dogs,I just put up a fence around it.

Burying it wont work with a couple of Aussie's they are not well known for it but thier sence of smell is very keen.

They are even used as termite dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 04-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Beginner

I can't answer this poll because my situation is a bit different! I rent and don't have a yard. No houseplants, even, so an indoor compost wouldn't be a good idea (besides, my boyfriend would stress out about having it there).

The kindergarten teacher at my school has a worm compost. I save my kitchen goodies and feed the worms every morning.

Since I started doing that, it's AMAZING how little garbage I have!
#35 Old 04-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a stealth composter: my landlord won't get one for my apt. building & I complained to the town & they won't give one either.

I secretly store compost in my freezer in paper bags, then under cover of night sneak to homes with town-provided compost bins, where I dump my stuff.

I *refuse* to put food waste in the trash!!!
#36 Old 04-30-2006, 11:37 AM
Banned

I don't as I rent.
#37 Old 04-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

We moved into a house a couple of months ago and have one started but I know we need to make improvements to it. Right now we just kind of throw everything into a pile. I think we need to get a bin or something.
#38 Old 04-30-2006, 12:39 PM

I'm a "I hope it biodegrates because I don't know what I'm doing" composter. I have tried a little this year to put some thought into it so that it will turn into compost, and I know that eventually it will, but I just sort of put leaves, food, dead grass, and paper (that is recycled and has soy ink) into a pile, and hope for the best.

I live in a house (I live with my parents still) with a yard though, so I have no objections.
#39 Old 04-30-2006, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

The province I live in has something called Waste Watch, which is a system where citizens and businesses have to separate their garbage into waste, compost and recyclables. So, technically we have a compost section, but it gets picked up once a month. My parents used to have a compost pile in the backyard when we had a garden, but they don't grow anything anymore.
#40 Old 04-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Is a compost supposed to have ants in it? I opened mine yesterday and there were a ton of the little suckers in there.
#41 Old 04-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Beginner

My father, who is a keen gardener, is compost mad! He thinks nothing of getting dressed in -40C weather to depost vegetable scraps in his composter in the winter. He even clears a path through the snow to get to it, and uses hot water to unfreeze the lid (our city subsidizes backyard "blackbox" composters.) He does thisnot for environmental reasons, just because compost is so good for his/our garden, and he never wants anything to go to waste (he grew during in the Depression).
#42 Old 05-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by misq17 View Post

Is a compost supposed to have ants in it? I opened mine yesterday and there were a ton of the little suckers in there.

Are you dumping a lot of cooked food into your compost? It's also possible your compost does not have enough "brown" material: dry leaves, etc. Ants will go wherever they can find food, so it's possible. Just some of the stuff you put in is going to be taken away from your compost pile and consumed. I had a ton of beetles and larvae in last year's pile when I first started out. It all worked out in the end.
#43 Old 05-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have much in terms of cooked stuff in there, but I looked today and most the ants seemed to be gone.

I really emptied the bottom of my compost today for the first time in about 7 or 8 years and I got out two whole wheelbarrows of beautiful compost. I probably could have gotten a third, too. I was pretty surprised since I'm a lazy composter and I'm lazy about watering, turning, etc. I'm all inspired now!
#44 Old 05-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by misq17 View Post

Ideally, no. If the compost is working right, the internal temperature should be too hot for them.

In another thread, Ludi recently noted that urine makes good fertilizer. It's also a wonderful addition to the compost heap because it is loaded with nitrogen (a big plant nutrient, and it encourages the composting process). I read an article a long time ago - it may have been in Rodale's Composting - that was about a lowland Maya group that composted chopped-up saplings and human urine. They were getting faster results than any of the commerical composting devices could even approach.
#45 Old 05-22-2006, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I just got inspired by this thread and a couple others to finally start composting again... I haven't done it in several years but finally figured out good place and figured there's no time like the present...
#46 Old 05-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't have a compost pile, but I do have a composter (I live in the city -- a compost pile would be unpopular with the neighbors). I have one of these: http://blueplanetsmart.com/usa/products.htm.
#47 Old 05-23-2006, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I have this composter. The only problem is that it's hard to get some of the soil out of the bottom because the opening is pretty small.
#48 Old 05-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Argh, none of the poll options apply to me. I want a compost bin but my boyfriend thinks it will be too stinky on our small section and I can't seem to convince him otherwise.
#49 Old 05-26-2006, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Ludi, thanks so much for that informative article.

B
#50 Old 05-26-2006, 04:31 PM

I am planning on starting one as son as I move, in the next few weeks, because the landlord where I am now got quite angry when I tried one here. I can't wait!!!
#51 Old 05-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I know this is a thread specifically for "who has a compost pile," but I thought I'd ask, since so many of you do, what is the real purpose of a compost pile? (I know this is probably a dumb question, sorry...)

I've had a compost pile for a while now at my house, and my family always had one wherever they lived, but we always had them specifically for the purpose of using the dirt in our vegetable gardens. It seems there's a much more important purpose for them that I'm apparently missing?

Thanks
#52 Old 05-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moechalatte View Post

Well, I know this is a thread specifically for "who has a compost pile," but I thought I'd ask, since so many of you do, what is the real purpose of a compost pile? (I know this is probably a dumb question, sorry...)

I've had a compost pile for a while now at my house, and my family always had one wherever they lived, but we always had them specifically for the purpose of using the dirt in our vegetable gardens. It seems there's a much more important purpose for them that I'm apparently missing?

Thanks

It puts nutrients back into the soil, bulks it up so it can retain moisture - just helps maintain a healthy soil, chemical free. It also keeps that much more stuff out of landfills.
#53 Old 05-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Vez

We have a small plastic box in the kitchen where we put fruit + veg peelings, tea bags, eggshells (well, my parents do) etc., as well as cardboard and kitchen paper, as long as it only has water/fruit juice on it, and no oil. That box is emptied every few days into a giant compost heap at the bottom of the garden, which also takes all of our garden waste (weeds, mown grass, clipped vines etc.) The compost heap is covered with old rugs to stop flies getting at it and it being exposed to too much sun and heat. Also it keeps it moist. There are two 'sections' to it, and we have a rotation system, ie. from one year to the next, one side is having fresh stuff added to it, while the other side is allowed to sit and decompose.

The only downside is that every time I go to put new stuff on it, I lift up the rug and find it crawling with lice, which is normal and good but also gross. Plus the other week my mum found a rat, and so my parents have now set rat traps, which makes me go .
#54 Old 05-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I live in an apartment when I get my house though DEFINATELY
#55 Old 05-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Besides doing good things for the soil a compost also prevents more waste entering a landfill. Landfills do not work. Food that goes into a landfill will not break down, mostly due to the lack of O2. In a compost, however, there is plenty of oxygen because it is an open environment and it breaks down naturally and in a way that is healthy for the earth. The faster we fill landfills the more we need to create. The more we create the more damage we do the the earth and all the earthlings that inhabit it.

I don't garden normally, but I compost for that reason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page