Is it wrong (to compost with worms) - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 02-20-2006, 11:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

Regular earthworms don't convert kitchen waste into soil. They eat soil itself-- stuff that has already been converted into soil. To do vermicomposting, you need a different type of worm.

This is a good point. Presence of earthworms is an indicator for a good compost tip. They don't necessarily turn compost good by being introduced to the tip. They feed off of the remains of the tail end of the composting process. They don't, actually, "eat soil," but the nutriments within the dirt.

Presence of earthworms is good, even if they are introduced. They will leave if circumstances are not appropriate, and aid in the breakdown of the overall mass when times are good. When they are relocated to the garden with compost they contribute to aeration and distribution of nutrients in the soil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 02-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Beginner

im all for it, sounds like a great idea!
#33 Old 02-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post

TThey don't, actually, "eat soil," but the nutriments within the dirt.

[biology nerd] Admittedly, it's been a while since I studied zoology, but I'm pretty sure earthworms literally do eat dirt. They digest a certain amount of organic nutrients from it, then excrete the rest in the form of castings. [/biology nerd]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 02-24-2006, 07:44 AM
Beginner

I think it's nice you are concerned...the world needs more people like you. I think the worms will be happy there. They like composting and so long as they are well fed they should be ok!!!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~ Mahatma Gandhi
#35 Old 03-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Beginner

A worm in a compost pile is a fat happy worm!
#36 Old 03-04-2006, 12:47 PM

I think a good compost bin fulfills a worm's wishes in life (no drowning, freezing, or being eaten, and lots of good food) nicely. A couple tips, from my experience - they don't like peppers, even bell peppers, or citrus, and they love love love mango pits!
#37 Old 03-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethN View Post

I think a good compost bin fulfills a worm's wishes in life (no drowning, freezing, or being eaten, and lots of good food) nicely. A couple tips, from my experience - they don't like peppers, even bell peppers, or citrus, and they love love love mango pits!

C'mon now. How do you know they don't like peppers and citrus?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page