VeggieBoards banner

Composting in an apartment, in the winter. Is it possible?

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Big Foot Marty 
#1 ·
Okay so i live in apartments ( they are built more like townhouses, no one is underneath us and we have a garage.)
I do a lot of juicing and eat lots of bananas and other fruits. I hate just to throw them in our trashcan. Would it be possible to compost some how?
tips? ideas? suggestions?
Thanks!
-andy

#2 ·
Have you tried contacting your local Cooperative Extension, or maybe whatever government agency handles that kind of waste? The Department of Environmental Conservation in New York State has information about composting, but I don't know that it's a good idea to do it indoors. Do you have room anyplace outside? Most people compost outdoors year-round.

I'd suspect that if you have room in your garage, but noplace else outside to do it, that would be your best bet. I suppose you'd need some sort of container or bin that would not dribble stuff out onto the garage floor and cause stains.

#3 · (Edited)
Here are some options:

1. Find out where your local community garden is. Contact the person in charge, and ask if you can put your foods scraps into their communal compost pile.

2. Rent a space in your local community garden, and use it for composting.

3. Here is a list of places in Pennsylvania that will accept compost scraps: http://files.dep.state.pa.us/Waste/Bureau%20of%20Waste%20Management/WasteMgtPortalFiles/PA_Food_Waste_Composting_Facilities.pdf . Call first, to make sure they'll accept food scraps.

#6 ·
I've been thinking of composting inside an apartment as well. I don't live in a townhouse-type apartment though, and I'm not on the ground floor. I don't have a garage. I bought a bokashi composter but I haven't used it yet. It comes with a bag of accelerator. I was thinking of buying a Worm Factory 360 as well, and putting the bokashi end product into the worm composter (along with some soil). Would this work? I'm not knowledgeable about composting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.