What species of worms are in my compost? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

What species of worms are in my compost?

I apologize for the lack of pictures, but I am seeking to ID the plethora of white crawly worms in my composter. What species are in your compost? Auxin may be able to help me here...

Thanks guys and gals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Beginner

Are you sure they're worms? How long are they/any chance you can post a picture?
#3 Old 08-03-2014, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

They more resemble maggots than worms, I never see too many flies. They become blackened in their later stage of life, with their outer flesh resembling plated armor. I will post a picture when I am able to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-04-2014, 06:42 AM

They sound like mealworms. Mealworms turn black in their final molting stage before they turn into beetles.

“Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages.” - Thomas Edison

Simply see that you are at the center of the universe, and accept all things and beings as part of your infinite body. When you perceive that an act done to another is done to yourself, you have understood the great truth. - Lao Tzu
#5 Old 08-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140804_213313_642.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	3818  
#6 Old 08-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

If their skin turns into a sort of plated armor, I also vote for some sort of beetle or fly larva- I can't think of any worms offhand that fit that description.

I was just talking to someone in my community garden last weekend about worms in compost, actually. There are the earthworms living naturally in most soil, and if you put your compost pile directly on the ground, they'll probably make their way into it on their own (unless the compost pile is too hot for them- then they'll hold off). But my friend was talking about using red wigglers, a somewhat different kind of worm. They're better at ingesting larger pieces of plant matter, and are better at quickly breaking the stuff down into what plants can use.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#7 Old 08-12-2014, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

These critters showed up all on their own, elevated from the ground in a 50 gallon revolving drum. Mealworms sound like the best possibility, but I'm still not sure. These guys work super hard, and probably number in the thousands.
#8 Old 12-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Veganarchist

They look sort of like some kind of grub, do they have legs?
#9 Old 01-12-2015, 12:09 PM

They're not mealworms. Google mealworm and look at some pictures, they're definitely not mealworms. They look like some kind of grub or maggot.

-----------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 01-12-2015, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHiddenAngel View Post
They look sort of like some kind of grub, do they have legs?
No legs.

Rayemond, it is true these do not resemble mealworms as you or I know them. I still am unsure of their species.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page