The Simple Life - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-04-2003, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Has anyone seen the tv show "The Simple Life"?

Paris Hilton and friend Nicole Richie (daughter of Lionel Richie) leave California to move in with a farm family in Altus, AR (pop. 817).

These two are complete boneheads. Just before they left, Paris bought a $1500.00 dog carrier for her Chanel-frocked chihuahua, Tinkerbell.

"After they arrived they were given a simple task of going to the grocery store to pick up a few things. They are instructed to pick up a generic brand of water. "What does generic mean?" the label-conscious Paris asks. When the total at the register comes to $65.54, the girls ask the cashier if they can just have the rest gratis. "This is not a soup kitchen!" the guy says. Paris and Nicole can't understand why they weren't given the remainder of the items they couldn't afford. Then they ponder what a "soup kitchen" is. "Where'd you get this cart-thing?" Nicole asks."

Nicole inquires about the rumor that folks down here congregate at Wal-Mart. Not familiar with the nationally-known store, Paris asks if they sell wall stuff.

It's actually a funny show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-04-2003, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw it. Then I realized it was too sad to watch again.
#3 Old 12-04-2003, 12:06 PM
Administrator

I recorded it. Haven't watched most of it yet. What was up with the 15 year old boy being gone when the girl's got there? Yeah, Paris Hilton is coming to stay at my house, I have something better to do.

I would have been in the yard waiting...

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-04-2003, 12:07 PM

I didn't watch the show but i did hear on tv somewhere that the comment she made about Wal Mart was a set up. Her and Ritchie Jr. had planned to make that a "joke" so it seems they are playing dumber than they actually are, which by the looks of them seems REALLY REALLY stupid!!

I don't think i will watch that show since it will only p*ss me off since everyone i know is just struggling to hang on to their jobs and not out there buying $1500 dog carriers for s*it sakes!

Why can't they use their "celebrity" for good?

#5 Old 12-04-2003, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes I just need to watch a show that involves no thinking. These two are so dumb.. that it's funny to watch.

When they had to clean the cow stalls, they did agree that they're never eating meat or drinking milk again. Now someone just needs to take them to a mink farm.
#6 Old 12-04-2003, 02:52 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarrlett View Post

Sometimes I just need to watch a show that involves no thinking. These two are so dumb.. that it's funny to watch.

When they had to clean the cow stalls, they did agree that they're never eating meat or drinking milk again. Now someone just needs to take them to a mink farm.

That was the only part of the show I saw... I agree.

I just can't bring myself to watch these rich ppl shows, it's rather infuriating (sp?). I saw some of that "Rich Kids" show on HBO a while ago... One of the rich girls made some comment about giving money to the homeless, then cracked up laughing! Like that would be absolutely rediculous, to give money to ppl who actually need it arrggg...
#7 Old 12-04-2003, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I cautioned him against it, but my husband insisted on checking out last night's episode. About five minutes in he started mumbling things about the proletariat rising up. Once he started mentioning boots crushing heads I suggested we turn off the TV.

My hatred of these fools hurts my stomach, but it is kinda funny and satisfying in a way to see that if one little thing went wrong and their fortunes crumbled they'd be weeping and sniveling in the streets unable to figure out how to tie their own shoes.

Mainly, they just seem rude, disrespectful and bumbling. They are so out of touch though, they don't seem to actually realize how assinine they are. Paris doesn't seem to have full control of her motor skills either. It's very weird.
#8 Old 12-07-2003, 04:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I didn't see this show, but I like to watch "Rich Girls" on Mtv. It's so weird to watch people who are so wealthy. They're like another species. I liked when they talked about cargo pants -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post

After the beach, they have dinner in a cabana by the sea. They ponder such age-old questions like, why is bread served with meals? And why do people wear clothes? Jaime has an epiphany about cargo pants: she thinks that people in the Midwest wear them because they're useful to them while they "work in the fields." They probably don't even wear them with high heels! A valuable lesson was learned by all--some people actually wear clothes out of necessity, not because they're trying to make a fashion statement.

She said something around - "Some people, like in the Midwest wear cargo pants because they need the extra pockets because they work in the fields and need to carry the tools and they don't even think "Hey this would look great with this shirt!"
#9 Old 12-07-2003, 04:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I live in the midwest.. I have um.. never been in the field a day in my life!!!.. I saw that too mikie... I was like... these chicks can't be serious....oooh go spend some more at FAO Shwartz!!geeez
#10 Old 12-07-2003, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never heard of this show... and I wish I could go back to my previous state of ignorance.

Sounds like a reality version of "Green Acres" except even more stupid and insulting.
#11 Old 12-07-2003, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystmDwnGrl View Post

I was like... these chicks can't be serious....

No, she was definitely serious.

So amusing, I like it.
#12 Old 12-07-2003, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think the girls are stupid. Anyone might look stupid if they're taken out of their element.

It's a funny show and they're cute.
#13 Old 12-07-2003, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular

>>I cautioned him against it, but my husband insisted on checking out last night's episode. About five minutes in he started mumbling things about the proletariat rising up. Once he started mentioning boots crushing heads I suggested we turn off the TV.>>

I think I want to have an affair with your husband.
#14 Old 12-08-2003, 12:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

I don't think the girls are stupid. Anyone might look stupid if they're taken out of their element.

Quite true. I would say there exposure to a lot of society is limited, but that doesn't make them stupid.

That Hilton has it goin' on too...Damn. Just damn.
#15 Old 12-08-2003, 01:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I have to agree that they're not really stupid, it's just that they've never been exposed to that lifestyle before. They've never worked a day in their lives, they're used to being pampered and spending thousands on a stupid handbag- so when they're put into a situation that demands that they earn their living and must budget their money, of course they're going to be confused and not particularly astute. I also feel a little empathy for Jessica Simpson- though the chicken of the sea thing was a little silly (I would have assumed someone would have asked that question a little earlier in their life?), it was an honest question and she wanted to know. I ask stupid questions, most people do at some point or another. I doubt she pays a huge amount of attention to food, she's busy with other things and doesn't ever cook. Most culinary expertise is learned while cooking, so I can understand her lack of knowlege on the issue. I knew practically nothing about food/cooking before I took an interest in it and began researching it and doing it often.

I just find it a little irksome when people play up an honest question/confusion as moronic vapidity. I doubt someone would much like to have one of their honest questions (how about the first time you asked if x-ingredient was vegetarian when the answer was "obviously" no and you didn't realize it?) made into a punch-line on a nationally syndicated television series.
#16 Old 12-08-2003, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

You're right shethatisnau, they aren't necessarily stupid, simply ignorant. I think my own distaste arises from the fact that they seem very disrespectful of the lives and work of others. They are also very mocking and do not seem willing to learn.

I know that when I'm trying to learn something I don't usually color my questions with tones of rudeness, mockery, or insult. I try to be sincere and polite. I try to do a good job. The girls on this show don't seem to be doing that.

Plus, it's just really difficult not to have a knee jerk disgust for the extremely rich. Their insulation from society makes them sickening to me. I don't travel in every circle of existence, but I like to think that I'm not completely ignorant of the general goiings on in my culture. They seem to be.
#17 Old 12-08-2003, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Ah, ebola. He's been kind of bugging me lately. I could do with a break
#18 Old 12-08-2003, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Well... Jessica Simpson is pretty dumb.. and gross with her burping nonsense.
#19 Old 12-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Bear in mind that they live with this family 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and we only see the 22 minutes a week that Fox deems the most entertaining. Think of how you would appear to complete strangers if they only saw 22 carefully edited minutes of your week? I know that some editors/producers out there could make me look like anything they wanted me to be!

I also read that these two girls did purposely say silly things to increase the entertainment value of the show...they know full well that the purpose of the show is to make fun of them, and they're happy to play into the cultural differences...after all, they want it to be a success, don't they? They're not dumb...they are savvy of the entertainment industry. Do you think it's really a coincidence that Paris's sex tape came out the week before her TV show premiered?
#20 Old 12-09-2003, 10:44 PM

Yeah, I agree KatieQ. they might really be kind of dumb, but they definitely pretend to be more ignorant than they are. I only have watched 5 min. of it, but when the Sonic lady gave them their checks and they go, "What's this? What do we do with it? A bank? Duh..." I mean come on. Even if you're filthy rich,you've seen a movie where someone cashes a check. If she doesn't know that you cash a check at a bank, I don't even know how she can lift a fork to her mouth. Or does she have people who do that for her too?
#21 Old 12-09-2003, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Tonight's episode was so funny.

Like when they went across the street to the store in their little costumes and the restaurant girls came and got them. Hehe.
#22 Old 12-09-2003, 11:29 PM
Banned

they both look they are on crack all the time...probably are.
#23 Old 12-10-2003, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I thought the camera added 10 pounds. Geez, eat a sandwich!
#24 Old 12-10-2003, 08:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Ugh.. some people are naturally thin. Did you see her munching on fast food throughout the show?

When I was in my teens/early 20s I ate all kinds of fattening crap and I was bone thin. I couldn't do that now but I'm still pretty thin without putting any effort into it.

I dunno.. comments like that really annoy me.
#25 Old 12-10-2003, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

You're right. I was wrong to say that. I know some people are that way naturally, but I get the feeling that she subscribes to the "never too rich or too thin" philosophy.

ETA: I was also annoyed by their whole lack of respect for everyone and lack of any work ethic whatsoever. I can't watch it again.

ETA: Her parents must be so proud.
#26 Old 12-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkified View Post

they both look they are on crack all the time...probably are.

According to TV Guide, shortly before they taped the show, Nicole Richie was arrested for heroin possession.
#27 Old 12-10-2003, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Christy13 said it. Their lack of respect for the work and lives of others makes them horrific.

Obviously, they are playing up the stupid angle for Fox, but I have a strong suspicion that they have no need to play up their scorn for the common folk. Elitist, privledged biznitches. Haven't watched since the initial time, won't be watching again.
#28 Old 12-11-2003, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I just saw the latest episode last night (taped it tuesday). I couldn't believe they were giving people the finger when they were dressed up in those huge costumes. It was funny to see them walking across the street, not caring about traffic. eejits.

But really, why would they care? They're only there for 5 weeks then it's back to their posh lifestyle.
#29 Old 12-11-2003, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe a bit off-topic: I can understand getting famous in order to be rich, but if I were already rich I don't see why I would want to cultivate publicity and fame.

I realize this is just me. But still.

I remember seeing the Trumps' daughter sent down a runway at about age 13, made up to look like a 20-year-old hooker, and just thinking "WHY?" She's already rich, are these people really so trashy that they think this sort of thing is cool? Geez, the girl wasn't even pretty. If I was a poor girl with the luck to be 6-foot and gorgeous, I'd definitely consider modeling as a way to pay the bills, and then some. But to aspire to be a model, to do it just 'cause daddy's rich and he'll make them include you, and despite being kinda oogly??

If I were rich, I really believe I'd find LOTS of LOTS better things to do with my time. I don't even mean just do-gooder stuff; I mean lots of other things that would be much more fun for me, too.

I don't get it.
#30 Old 12-11-2003, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Paris Hilton would be hot.. if she got a frontal lobotomy.

haha.

I watched this show once and found it to be absolutely hilarious. I was laughing my ass off the whole time. I guess I find humor in really weird things though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page