VeggieBoards banner

So what books have we been reading lately?

372K views 5K replies 1K participants last post by  Veggiebibliophile 
#1 ·
Apart from the various crapulent pieces of crap that I've got to read for my Sociology degree (e.g. The Idea of Social Science, Social Science in Question, Sociological Theory, The Sociological Theory of Social Science) I've been reading:

J G Ballard - The Drought

Ian McEwan - The Cement Garden

John Wilson - The Disappearance of Lyndsey Barrett

and I re-read The Plague by Albert Camus.

Over to you!

#2 ·
ah reading for fun... I remember it fondly. I'm a philosophy / religion major so my reading list is chock full of academic readings, which is okay because I enjoy much of it. Current selections include:

"Naming and Neccessity" -- Saul Kripke.

"Totem and Taboo" -- Freud.

"Select Readings" of St. Thomas Aquinas.

"The Descartes Reader"

Not much time for fun-reading, but I'm getting into the quarterly journals at the library. Especially "American Philosophical Quarterly" and "Philosophy and Phenomenological Research". Also, and interesting article in this month's "Alternatives: Global, Local, Political" called "Explaining War & Peace: Kant & Liberal IR Theory."

And I've been reading a lot from the manual on how to use my new synth/drum machine

#3 ·
how i wish i had more time to read!

i finished "shop girl" by steve martin a few days ago. it's a novella, it only took me a few hours to get through. i really enjoyed it!

right now i'm working on some stephen king/peter straub horror crap..."black house". it's a sequel to "the talisman". it's alright. very light. i loved stephen king when i was 12. now...not so much.

#7 ·
I just finished rereading "A Dark Horn Blowing" by Dahlov Ipcar (I stole this from the library when I was a teenager because I loved it... then let someone borrow it from me and they moved overseas; I finally bought my own copy).

Then there's my "reading shelf" with what I am reading now, including Tolkien, sci-fi, and some books on Biblical archaeology.... a total of 25 books (too much at once?).

#13 ·
Quote:
right now i'm working on some stephen king/peter straub horror crap..."black house". it's a sequel to "the talisman". it's alright. very light. i loved stephen king when i was 12. now...not so much.
I just started that one last week. I like to have some mind candy while I'm hanging out at the beach... I thoroughly enjoyed "the Talisman" and I'm interested to see how they bring it together. I've always been a fan of King's work, and it's interesting to see how his writing style has developed over the years, and how for the last several years he's been developing a major story line thru all of his novels, a grand connection to the Dark Tower. I can't wait to see how it comes out!

I had to take a break from the Wheel of Time series... I'll get back to it soon.

#15 ·
I've been intending to read it, but I haven't yet.

Within the last week, I've...

Read "The Gates of Sleep" by Mercedes Lackey

Read "Acorna's Search" by Anne McCaffrey

Read a couple of smutty romance novels...

Read "Freedom's Ransom" by Anne McCaffrey

Started "The Shipping News" by Annie Proulx

Re-read "Freedom's Challenge" by Anne McCaffrey

And I've spent the past couple of days glued to an online fanfiction collective sifting through the dross...and finding a few gems! XD

#5,002 ·
Right now I'm reading The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales, by Bruno Bettelheim. Memories, Dreams, Reflections (Carl Jung's autobiography) is next on my list.

Smut is always good, too.
(Hey, I'm single, what do you expect?)
OH WOW! I love BOTH OF THESE! Myth and ritual and all that jazz is fabulous. Campbell and such. Oh yes. Love!

#19 ·
Anne McCaffrey is absolutely one of my most favorite authors EVER. I worship her. (Not literally, but you know what I mean. ^^;; )

I have read every single book she's ever written, so far. Out of everything she's written, my top three favorites are:

The Dragonriders of Pern series

The Crystal Singer series

The Talent series

^_________^

#20 ·
I am reading a ton of school related books. (arrgghh!!) But I just started to read a book called "We're all Doing Time" by Bo Lozoff. It is a book about prison ashram's. I have someone who is very close to me in prison right now (for growing marijuana) and he mentioned the book. The writer is an advocate for prison reform, and finding the good in people.

I didn't write this to start a debate on prison reform or such. With that said I will not respond to any comments on it.

#21 ·
how are you enjoying Eye of the World OZ? i'm on book 2 right now, the Great Hunt. i've read the whole series up to 10 already and am going back through them while waiting for 10 to come out on paperback. i really loved the series the first time and am enjoying it even more this time around

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.