So what books have we been reading lately? - Page 85 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

#2521 Old 11-16-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia soup View Post

So who is your favorite writer? Vonnegut is tops in my book.

Steinbeck, hands down. Vonnegut is coming in a close second, though. Wish I'd read more of his stuff while he was still living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2522 Old 11-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantKarma View Post

Steinbeck, hands down. Vonnegut is coming in a close second, though. Wish I'd read more of his stuff while he was still living.

I love Steinbeck too...my favorite of his that I've read is East of Eden. That book was amazing.
#2523 Old 11-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

The Purpose of Christmas by Rick Warren. Life was absolutely crazy this year. Moved across the country for a new job. Literally pulled out of Houston area 36 hours before the big hurricane hit. Somehow, the book seemed appropriate for me right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2524 Old 11-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm reading the new John Lennon biography by Philip Norman. (Hopefully that won't inspire another VB debate about the merits of Lennon/The Beatles!!)

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#2525 Old 11-16-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indieorganicveg View Post

The China Study. READ it!

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME book!!!!!!!! hehe

I've started reading 'Marley & Me' and 'The Joy of Vegan Baking' ...
#2526 Old 11-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Ordinary Victories: What is Precious - Manu Larcenet
#2527 Old 11-17-2008, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwalkersgirl View Post

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME book!!!!!!!! hehe

I've started reading 'Marley & Me' and 'The Joy of Vegan Baking' ...

I love Marley and Me! Another good one along that vein is The Art of Racing in the Rain (can't recall the author off top of my head).
#2528 Old 11-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong
#2529 Old 11-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Kris View Post

I love Marley and Me! Another good one along that vein is The Art of Racing in the Rain (can't recall the author off top of my head).

I saw the movie trailer for this, looks adorable! I had no idea there was a book, must read it!
#2530 Old 11-18-2008, 06:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegal View Post

I saw the movie trailer for this, looks adorable! I had no idea there was a book, must read it!

You must read the book! Its one of my favorite books. Anyone that owns a dog can relate to it. I can't wait for the movie.
#2531 Old 11-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

You must read the book! Its one of my favorite books. Anyone that owns a dog can relate to it. I can't wait for the movie.

Thanks! I requested it from the library.
#2532 Old 11-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Ex-*****

Fermat's Last Theorem. Fascinating account of how one of the most enigmatic conjectures in the world of mathematics was finally proved to be true.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#2533 Old 11-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok. So The Purpose of Christmas was so-so. People of faith don't really need this book although it is nice to step back and remember why we celebrate Christmas. Now reading The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck. Do we sense a theme here?
#2534 Old 11-18-2008, 10:01 AM

I'm reading Prozac Nation again. Every time I read it I have a tendency to pick it up and put it down and forget about it for days at a time before I continue reading it again. I find it a very frustrating book to get through, but worth it, even if the pace is a bit slow.

I was halfway through Madness by Marya Hornbacher before I just had to give up on it. I lovedlovedloved Wasted and it remains one of my favorite books of all time, but I'm really dissapointed in Madness. Her tone and writing style has changed so much, and I don't find it as captivating.
#2535 Old 11-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Ok. So The Purpose of Christmas was so-so. People of faith don't really need this book although it is nice to step back and remember why we celebrate Christmas. Now reading The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck. Do we sense a theme here?

lol I actually saw a commercial in a movie theater for this book while waiting for the movie to start. I have never heard of this author before, never saw a commercial for a book in a movie theater before either but ah well. Let us know how it is!
#2536 Old 11-21-2008, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, at the strong and insistent whin...err... suggestion of several friends, I picked up Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Yup, the one the new movie is based on.

A few points...

A: I normally don't get into vampire books/ movies. I don't quite understand the obsession some people have with the topic. Why do so many people think "pagan" equals "gothic vampire wannabe?"

B: I always get disappointed by the conversion of book to movie. Now, some movies are okay, but they tend to ruin the image I created in my imagination.

C: My taste in books and my friends' tastes differ greatly... usually. They don't understand my love of the classics and I can't figure out why they think those trashy romance novels are so original and exciting.

Surprise! I am actually enjoying it. It was definitely written for the teen crowd, but there's enough substance to the story to make it grab hold of you. I was actually up late the last two nights because I couldn't put it down. My friends finally got one right!
#2537 Old 11-21-2008, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Ok, so I finished this book the other day. Its definitely on the cheesy side but in a good, heart-warming way. The book jacket compares it to Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet in Heaven, and I think that is a valid comparison. I'd watch the movie if they make it. All in all, light read but enjoyable.
#2538 Old 11-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthWhispers View Post

Well, at the strong and insistent whin...err... suggestion of several friends, I picked up Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Yup, the one the new movie is based on.

A few points...

A: I normally don't get into vampire books/ movies. I don't quite understand the obsession some people have with the topic. Why do so many people think "pagan" equals "gothic vampire wannabe?"

B: I always get disappointed by the conversion of book to movie. Now, some movies are okay, but they tend to ruin the image I created in my imagination.

C: My taste in books and my friends' tastes differ greatly... usually. They don't understand my love of the classics and I can't figure out why they think those trashy romance novels are so original and exciting.

Surprise! I am actually enjoying it. It was definitely written for the teen crowd, but there's enough substance to the story to make it grab hold of you. I was actually up late the last two nights because I couldn't put it down. My friends finally got one right!

yes, these books are really good (even if you aren't a teen..which I am not). I am going to see the movie today, I am really hoping it is good.
#2539 Old 11-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I just started 1984 by Orwell earlier this week. Creepy creepy book.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#2540 Old 11-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegal View Post

yes, these books are really good (even if you aren't a teen..which I am not). I am going to see the movie today, I am really hoping it is good.

I left 'teen' behind over a decade ago, so it came as a shock that I actually enjoyed a book I had to buy from the "young adult" section. I finished Twilight early this morning and plan to pick up New Moon at B&N after work Monday. How convenient that I work right across the street from a bookstore!

I am curious about the movie, but always afraid to destroy my mental image of a book by watching another's view come to life. I will probably have to be cajoled, drugged, or dragged and then end up enjoying it!
#2541 Old 11-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthWhispers View Post

I left 'teen' behind over a decade ago, so it came as a shock that I actually enjoyed a book I had to buy from the "young adult" section. I finished Twilight early this morning and plan to pick up New Moon at B&N after work Monday. How convenient that I work right across the street from a bookstore!

I am curious about the movie, but always afraid to destroy my mental image of a book by watching another's view come to life. I will probably have to be cajoled, drugged, or dragged and then end up enjoying it!

I hear you, I left the teens about a decade ago! I bought my fiances 12 year old daughter the first book and she loved it. So I picked it up when she was done and couldn't put it down. Then within 3-4 weeks I had the whole series done. All 4 books were really enjoyable although the first one is my fave.

I actually really enjoyed the movie. I went into it hesitant and afraid it would ruin the books, when really the movie followed the books pretty closely and was quite enjoyable! Definitely see it whether it is in the theaters or rent it once it comes out on DVD. Apparently New Moon was given the go ahead and they are going to start filming that soon.

I didn't really picture Edward Cullen looking like the actor that portrayed him, but ah well. Also I realized after I came home and looked him up on IMDB that he plays Cedric Diggory in the Harry Potter series. Kinda cool!

If you do go and see it, let me know what you think!
#2542 Old 11-23-2008, 02:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Finished:

Night-Elie Wiesel

Eichmann and the Holocaust-Arendt

-extremely good books, very well written

In Defense of Food-Pollan

-Awesome. Started out annoyed because I do disagree with his point of view on sat fat, but otherwise, I loved it.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#2543 Old 11-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Let's see...I recently finished Invisble Monsters and Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk and I'm a little over halfway thru Haunted also by Chuck P. And I started Dead In Dallas (2nd book in the "True Blood" series new on HBO), The Vampire Lestat (Anne Rice) and Shadow & Claw by Gene Wolfe. Also I recently finished Cell by Stephen King.

Yeah ok so I like to read...and have too many books going on at once...and now I'm going to read 2 chapters in my Java book for school!
#2544 Old 11-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

I just started 1984 by Orwell earlier this week. Creepy creepy book.

I read it in 1985. I wouldn't buy it in 1984 as I thought I'd look such a poseur!
#2545 Old 11-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiny77 View Post

Let's see...I recently finished Invisble Monsters and Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk and I'm a little over halfway thru Haunted also by Chuck P. And I started Dead In Dallas (2nd book in the "True Blood" series new on HBO), The Vampire Lestat (Anne Rice) and Shadow & Claw by Gene Wolfe. Also I recently finished Cell by Stephen King.

Yeah ok so I like to read...and have too many books going on at once...and now I'm going to read 2 chapters in my Java book for school!

Chuck Palaniuck's books are addicting. What did you think of Cell?
#2546 Old 11-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

The Final Prophecies of Nostradamus by Erika Cheetham. CERN is going to destroy the world. Hopefully, at least.
#2547 Old 11-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. I need to read Angels & Demons again before the movie comes out!
#2548 Old 11-26-2008, 01:58 AM

Dan Brown is a talentless hack.

Sorry, just my opinion. I know it's not shared by a LOT of people.
#2549 Old 11-26-2008, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

perhaps, but the books entertain me.
#2550 Old 11-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I second this opinion. When I'm walking through a bookstore and I see a book by him I have to walk away (Yeah, I feel that strongly).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page