Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

#61 Old 04-25-2003, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

1. free the animals - ingrid newkirk

2. stupid white men - michael moore

3. k-pax trilogy - gene brewer

4. three tales of the unexpected - roald dahl

i just finished reading "free the animals" for the 4th time. i cry every time i read it ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 04-29-2003, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I just finished Nicholas Sparks' Message in a Bottle. I bought it to read over Spring Break & couldn't put it down. It made me cry so hard though!
#63 Old 04-29-2003, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Since I finished most of my readings for my English/Philosophy classes I decided to have some fun and re read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. It has been nearly 9 years since I last read them so it is proving to be lots of fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 05-01-2003, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I read "Lucky" now too, that was horrifyingly incredible. I read "The Lovely Bones" last year.
#65 Old 05-01-2003, 12:51 PM

Dreamcatcher. I am a King fanatic.
#66 Old 05-01-2003, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Katieq

I read "Lucky" now too, that was horrifyingly incredible. I read "The Lovely Bones" last year.

Katie,

Which of the two did you think was the more powerful book?
#67 Old 05-01-2003, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Kreeli

how i wish i had more time to read!

i finished "shop girl" by steve martin a few days ago. it's a novella, it only took me a few hours to get through. i really enjoyed it!

right now i'm working on some stephen king/peter straub horror crap..."black house". it's a sequel to "the talisman". it's alright. very light. i loved stephen king when i was 12. now...not so much.

Ditto, except I haven't read King since I put down "Gerald's Game" and never finished it.
#68 Old 05-01-2003, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Over the weekend I read Robbins' "The Food Revolution," Singer's "One World" (his latest), and Bertrand Russell's "History of Western Philosophy," though I only got halfway through the Greeks with that last tome.

I'll have to pick up my own copy one of these days. Fascinating reading.
#69 Old 05-01-2003, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I just started reading Jorge Luis Borges Ficciones after not having read it for *years*. I had forgotten how much it cracks me up. My favorite section in the book is Pierre Menard, autor del Quixote which I read this morning while my students were taking an evil standardized test & I had to try pretty hard not to laugh out loud and distract them. It's more or less about a man (Menard) who writes Don Quixote word for word like Cervantes does, but the piece is a lit analysis that purports that Menards is the much richer and more meaningful of the text. (But they are exactly the same!). This line kills me every time, as it reminds me of my days as an English major writing many a lit-analysis paper:

<<El texto de Cervantes y el de Menard son verbalmente idénticos, pero el segundo es casi infinitamente más rico. (Más ambiguo, dirán sus detractores; pero la ambigüedad es una riqueza.)>>

Tee-hee.

Mskedi
#70 Old 05-03-2003, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm actually reading a Danielle Steel book now. (Please, no one beat me over the head!) Its the Dating Game book.

I belong to one of those book clubs (like the CD clubs) where they send you crap every month and then you have to send back the card saying you don't want this months selections. Well, I guess I forgot to turn it back in Feb becasue I got two romance novels in the mail the other day. The other book is by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss and the book is "The Reluctant Suitor" I picked the lesser of the two evils, and so far the Danielle Steel book actually isn't too bad.
#71 Old 05-04-2003, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mskedi

In a couple weeks I'll be teaching _To Kill a Mockingbird_ to my 9th graders, which means I get to read that one again --yay! I can't read it too many times!

Mskedi

I LOVE that book! I'm in 10th grade and that's what we just finished reading, but I had already read it twice before.

right now i'm reading The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King. I'm still reading it, yes. I'm a slow reader. But i really like it. And I have more incentive to finish it now because my awesome cousin gave me a $50 gift certificate for amazon.com to me.
#72 Old 05-04-2003, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

The Dark Tower series are the only Stephen King books I've been going out of my way to read, but my sister got me his newest short story collection for Christmas, and I've always liked those, so I started reading it yesterday. I got through the introduction before I got busy again, LOL.
#73 Old 05-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in the middle of reading Edith Wharton's Twilight Sleep . After reading The House of Mirth last year and loving her style, I thought I'd read everything she'd written, just because. Some of her books are the most depressing things I've ever read though!
#74 Old 05-12-2003, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm reading stupid white men by michael moore. very slowly. I read his Tv nation book and I was laughing my ass off.

And the harry potter books. I've been reading them. And also magazine. (No, not those magazines!!!)
#75 Old 05-12-2003, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm reading "The Prince and the Pauper" for school. It's a good book but I can't understand all that Old English talk!
#76 Old 05-13-2003, 12:55 AM
Banned

The physic reality.

interesting.
#77 Old 05-14-2003, 07:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Deception on his mind by Elisabeth George.

Just a detective, but I need some relaxing reading material.
#78 Old 05-14-2003, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I am slowly making my way through "Final Judgement" by Richard North Patterson. It is about a woman lawyer who has been estranged from her family for about 20 years is suddenly called by her father to come and defend her niece against murder. The woman lawyer is up for a national judgeship so defending her niece could complicate things. Right now the trial just started, but there is some big, ugly family secret that will come out soon- I can just feel it. After I finish this one, I don't know what I'll read since most of my books are packed and my selection is pretty limited. I may read "Prince of Tides" or "Life of a Geisha."
#79 Old 05-14-2003, 09:47 AM
Banned

The books of note I am currently reading are "The problem of pain" by C. S. Lewis and "The case for faith" by Lee Strobel (I am reading more but these two are the main ones).
#80 Old 05-14-2003, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainSwab

I am reading "I know This Much is True" by Wally Lamb. It is on Oprah's book club and I highly reccomend it. I am not quite done with it yet but it is hard to put down.

Old quote, however, I must say that I read this book and Wally Lamb's other novel "She's Come Undone". They took me through such an emotional journey, and could hardly put them down. Highly recomended
#81 Old 05-14-2003, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I just finished "Save The Animals" by Ingrid Newkirk and I'm about to start "The Relic" by Lincoln Child.

Acutally, I just bought "How it all vegan" & "The Garden of Vegan" last night.. Both are highly recommended!!
#82 Old 05-14-2003, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I am reading Magic's Pawn by Mercedes Lackey again.

As if I didn't already have the entire book practically memorized from the other 32135468731321321687654321321687 million times I read it.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#83 Old 05-15-2003, 04:15 AM

for those of you who are or have read stupid white men or anything by michael moore... could you please explain his facination with canada???? I mean yeah... it's not the worst country in the world * i am canadian... does anyone else here that damn commercial whenever they say that?) but i just don't get why he thinks we're so damn great.. OK so we don't lock our doors! get over it! hahah gotta luv that guy
#84 Old 05-16-2003, 06:04 PM

Just finished reading "Portrait of a Burger from a Young Calf".

Gives ya a whole new reason to dislike Dairy Farmers!

If you haven't heard of it, This guy from here in Upstate NY goes to McDonalds with his kid and decides that if he is gonna eat and feed these burgers to her, then he needs to follow a cow from conception to consumption and see what the process really is. So, he gets together with two local Dairy farmers, arranges to buy three calves and follow them as they go through the process.

If you aren't already Vegan, and I was having a time giving up cheese, then this will certainly move you toward it a bit quicker. I actually threw out all my cheese after I read this.

It may not affect others the way it did me. I was so totally amazed that this guy could actually write so dispationately about this Two year long project.

At the very least it will really make you wonder about the humanity or lack there of, of all the people involved with day to day tasks on a dairy farm.

As good for promoting a Vegan lifestyle as Slaughterhouse was for Promoting Vegetarianism.
#85 Old 05-21-2003, 04:15 PM

I just finished ADVICE ON DYING (well, I know. Doesn't sound very cheerful does it?). It is by the Dalai Lama translated and edited by Jeffery Hopkins. It is an absolutely fascinating book. And no, it is not depressing. Actually, it is more about living than dying.
#86 Old 05-21-2003, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I friend got me a copy of Jared Diamond's Germs, Guns, and Steel which I've been wanting to read since it came out, but haven't had the chance. It promises to be a fascinating read.

Mskedi
#87 Old 05-21-2003, 11:29 PM

William Burroughs - 'the place of dead roads'
#88 Old 05-22-2003, 02:01 AM
Banned

The Dune series by Frank Herbert
#89 Old 05-22-2003, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Life2k

The Dune series by Frank Herbert

I've been thinking about picking those up again -- I love those books!
#90 Old 05-22-2003, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I just read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle (been meaning to read it forever). Wow. Powerful and as relevant as ever (even though it was written around 1900).

I didn't like the didactic ending, though, that completely forgets the characters that Sinclair had spent 300 pages getting us to care about.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page