So what books have we been reading lately? - Page 167 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

#4981 Old 07-23-2014, 03:55 PM

Also reading 'Como agua para chocolate' - (like water for chocolate) - for college purposes. A romantic novel with a food theme (one recipe per each month of the protagonists life). Sadly, most of the recipes are non-vegetarian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4982 Old 11-01-2015, 02:38 PM

Right now I am cooking and listening (and enjoying) a new audio book "The power of I am" by Joel Osteen.
I am a big fan of pastor Osteen and hope one day to attend one of his sermons in Houston.
#4983 Old 11-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
Been re-reading some old Lee Child (Jack Reacher series) and some old Jonathan Kellerman (Alex Delaware series) books I have until the new ones come out in paperback....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4984 Old 01-29-2016, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I am reading Career of Evil, by Robert Galbraith. It's the third novel in the Cormoran Strike series, and it's amazing! I can't put it down.
Mr. H. likes this.
#4985 Old 01-29-2016, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post
I am reading Career of Evil, by Robert Galbraith. It's the third novel in the Cormoran Strike series, and it's amazing! I can't put it down.
Strangely enough, that's what I'm reading ATM also. (I should say, listening to - my eyesight is such that I almost exclusively listen to audiobooks now.)

Did you know that Robert Galbraith is J. K. Rowling?
Crouton likes this.
#4986 Old 01-29-2016, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
Strangely enough, that's what I'm reading ATM also. (I should say, listening to - my eyesight is such that I almost exclusively listen to audiobooks now.)

Did you know that Robert Galbraith is J. K. Rowling?
Haha yes, I am guilty of only buying the books after I found out it was her, I love them but it's doubtful I would have found them and chosen them off the shelf otherwise.

I've been really enjoying the series, although there is one thing I don't love about this latest one.

Spoiler
I don't like how strong the romantic tension is between Robin and Strike. I find it really rare for well written male and female plantonic friendships in fiction, and I really loved them as just friends and work colleagues, so all this tension annoys me a bit but I'm still loving the story.
Mr. H. likes this.
#4987 Old 01-30-2016, 12:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I've just finished "The Sirens of Titan" by Kurt Vonnegut, and I loved it. It's almost like "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (no wonder, it was an inspiration for Douglas Adams), only better Definitely worth reading, even if it has some controversial moments here and there.
Dave in MPLS and LedBoots like this.

#4988 Old 01-30-2016, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post
Haha yes, I am guilty of only buying the books after I found out it was her, I love them but it's doubtful I would have found them and chosen them off the shelf otherwise.

I've been really enjoying the series, although there is one thing I don't love about this latest one.

Spoiler
I don't like how strong the romantic tension is between Robin and Strike. I find it really rare for well written male and female plantonic friendships in fiction, and I really loved them as just friends and work colleagues, so all this tension annoys me a bit but I'm still loving the story.
I found out who Galbraith was while I was reading the second one.

Spoiler
I agree with you that it would have been infinitely preferable to maintain it as a platonic friendship rather than the same old trope that has been used to death on TV shows. And the Robin/Matthew thing is irritating.
Crouton likes this.
#4989 Old 02-01-2016, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been re-reading the Thursday Next books by Jasper Fforde, which are hilarious. Also, Three-Nine Line by David Freed, which is the fourth in the Cordell Logan books, and Armada by Ernest Cline, which is his second book, his first being Ready Player One.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#4990 Old 02-10-2016, 01:46 PM
Riot Nrrrd

I'm in the middle of The Myth of Religious Violence by William T Cavanaugh. It's not pro- or anti- religion or secularism, but a history of the religion-secular divide. I can see where partisans from either side would object to his ideas.
Lipps likes this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#4991 Old 02-10-2016, 01:51 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
I've just finished "The Sirens of Titan" by Kurt Vonnegut
Vonnegut is my favorite author, and Slaughterhouse 5 is my favorite book. Highly recommended.

#4992 Old 02-10-2016, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Currently into The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters.
#4993 Old 02-10-2016, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Currently re-reading Thomas Perry's three Butcher's Boy books.

Last edited by Beautiful Joe; 02-10-2016 at 09:53 PM.
#4994 Old 02-10-2016, 08:21 PM
Beginner

Reading:

"Hell, I Was There!"
Autobiography by Elmer Keith 1979

"Commentaries on the Civil War" and "Commentaries on the Gallic War"
By Julius Caesar 46-45? BCE

Florentine Histories
By Niccolo Machiavelli 1532

The symbol of the race ought to be a human being carrying an ax, for every human being has one concealed about him somewhere, and is always seeking the opportunity to grind it.
- Mark Twain, a Biography
#4995 Old 02-18-2016, 10:50 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Started and finished Fundamentalism: A Very Short Introduction, and I'm quite a ways into A History of Language.

#4996 Old 02-18-2016, 01:56 PM
Beginner

I've started reading a book called 'Living On Your Own Terms' by Osho.

I very much like what I've read so far.
Beets&Beats likes this.
#4997 Old 02-25-2016, 08:10 PM
Beginner

Such serious and thoughtful books here!

I'm not going to add to it.

Working my way through The Magicians series by Les Grossman. Love it so far. I'm almost done book 2.
#4998 Old 02-28-2016, 02:40 PM

Venus in Furs by Masoch, so kinky and "fun" lol
#4999 Old 05-21-2016, 01:18 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I just read "Deep Time", a "Dr. Who" science fiction series book. It was a short book with the twelfth (current) incarnation of The Doctor, and Clara as his travelling companion. A few characters I liked got killed off, which I thought detracted from it (as from much of science fiction and fantasy), but I did like the portrayals of The Doctor and Clara (although I haven't seen any TV episodes since David Tennant was playing the 10th Doctor).

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#5000 Old 05-21-2016, 01:36 PM
Vegan since 1991

"The Carbon Diaries 2015", by Saci Lloyd.

Published in 2010, this is a YA fiction novel about the beginning of mandatory energy-rationing in the UK, enforced as a result of severe storms resulting from climate change.

In reality, of course, widespread mandatory energy-rationing has not yet appeared. However, the 2015 Paris Agreement has initiated the worldwide construction of renewable-energy and energy-conservation programs, and the phasing-out of coal-fired power plants.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#5001 Old 06-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
Oh man! My booklist just grew! Thanks guys!
I'm on holidays at the moment so many books on the go...
I'm currently reading
-Life Inc (oldie but goodie. Non-fiction. One of those books filled with things I thought I knew but didn't actually know the details of and it's pretty intriguing. History of various things we take for granted in a capitalist system etc.)
-'Railsea' by China Mieville (after churning through 2 others of his last month! Oddly captivating!),
-'Oryx and Crake' by Margaret Atwood (again. Strongly recommend! Probably my favourite series ever. But even typing that a few others come to mind. It's like picking favourite children?!)
-'Night Waking' by Sarah Moss (beautiful!)
#5002 Old 06-10-2016, 06:59 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Just finished the novel "Bloom" by Wil Mcarthy, am currently working on Trapped in the Mirror by Elan Golomb. I'm also reading FAST MINDS.

Bloom was a sci-fi novel about technogenic life going haywire and screwing up the solar system, and the aftermath of that. The main character gets sent off back to Earth to plant probes rumored to be bombs and ends up ticking off a rather powerful group that worships the "Bloom" as a sort of a god.

Trapped in the Mirror is about coping strategies and stories from children of narcissists recovering their sense of self. It was given to me by my counselor.

FAST MINDS is about ADHD and how to deal with it. I was diagnosed with it recently and it's helping me learn how to cope while I wait for all the logistical hurdles my insurance is making me jump through so that I can get my medicine. So far it's helping, and it's kinda healing to learn all of my symptoms aren't entirely my fault.
LedBoots likes this.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5003 Old 06-10-2016, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbivore View Post
Right now I'm reading The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales, by Bruno Bettelheim. Memories, Dreams, Reflections (Carl Jung's autobiography) is next on my list.

Smut is always good, too. (Hey, I'm single, what do you expect?)
OH WOW! I love BOTH OF THESE! Myth and ritual and all that jazz is fabulous. Campbell and such. Oh yes. Love!
#5004 Old 07-03-2016, 06:11 PM
Beginner

Just finished A Darker Shade of Magic by VE Schwab.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...shade-of-magic
fun book. 7.5/10

I also just finished listening to The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy #1) by Jennifer A. Nielsen. Definitely a kids book, but good for the drive into work. 6/10
#5005 Old 07-13-2018, 06:30 AM
Banned

No One Wants You by Celine Roberts
#5006 Old 07-26-2018, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

The Drawing of the three by Stephen King (Book 2 of the Dark Tower series).

Probably alone in this as I know he's a very loved author, but can't say I enjoy his writing. Found book one of the series to be boring until the last 60 pages or so.

This one is a little better, but constantly reading words that basically no one uses makes it seem like he tries too hard to show how good of a writer he is.
(Seriously, I will give $100 to the next person that uses the word 'ubiquitous' and makes it sound natural as if it's the 100th time they've said it).

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#5007 Old 07-27-2018, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
The Drawing of the three by Stephen King (Book 2 of the Dark Tower series).

Probably alone in this as I know he's a very loved author, but can't say I enjoy his writing. Found book one of the series to be boring until the last 60 pages or so.

This one is a little better, but constantly reading words that basically no one uses makes it seem like he tries too hard to show how good of a writer he is.
(Seriously, I will give $100 to the next person that uses the word 'ubiquitous' and makes it sound natural as if it's the 100th time they've said it).
I use ubiquitous now and then, but not ubiquitously Saying "everywhere-occurring" is not less cumbersome.
#5008 Old 07-27-2018, 11:52 PM
Give peas a chance

You Never Give Me Your Money - it's about the business relationships of the Beatles after the band broke up.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#5009 Old 07-28-2018, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life2k View Post
The Dragon Riders of Pern Series
I've read a lot of those. If you like them you should try the Temeraire series by Novak.
#5010 Old 07-28-2018, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Tempests and Slaughter by Tamora Pierce.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page