So what books have we been reading lately? - Page 166 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

#4951 Old 04-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I suddenly felt like going back and reading some of my old comics, so I started reading Promethea last night. I actually read the first dozen or so issues when it was new, but I stopped reading/collecting comics around that time. A couple of years later, I went back and caught up on buying back issues for a few of my favorite series, so I have all 32 issues of Promethea, but I don't think I ever read more than the first half of the series.

When I'm done with that, there's a few others I'm thinking of going back and re-reading (or in some cases, reading for the first time, since I didn't finish reading them all when I bought them). For a couple, that will mean tracking down some more back issues.
So I've read through most of the Promethea series over the last few days, and I've gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed. The art is fantastic, but the main stories were pretty boring. The lesser plot lines were better than the main "story", which is a bunch of talking head philosophy and mysticism, followed by an anti-climactic climax that took too many issues to finish. I can see why I really liked the first 7 or 8 issues when it was new, but it gets pretty boring after that. It's one of those "trying too hard to be deep" type of things.

I still feel like I want to go back and read some other comics, so I'm trying to decide what to read next. Sandman and Death are definitely on my list to re-read eventually, but I think I want something lighter after Promethea. I was a fan of the short lived CrossGen line, so I have a lot of their comics, and like Promethea, I managed to collect them after the fact and never did finish reading them all, so I want to read them eventually. Or I could go back through some of my old superhero stuff. I was a big fan of Flash when Mark Waid was the writer, Peter David's Supergirl, and Christopher Priest's Black Panther. I also have a lot of other comics, mostly superheroes from the 90s, but those were my favorites.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4952 Old 04-11-2014, 09:29 AM
Veggie Regular

So besides reading the comics at home, I've also picked up "The Complete Idiot's Guide to World Religions" to read on the train to and from work. Pretty basic in writing style, as you'd expect from that style of book, but it should have the basic info I'm looking for as an introduction to the non-Judeo-Christian religions that I know very little about.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#4953 Old 04-11-2014, 02:51 PM
Veg & two wheels

I'm reading Eat Pray Love. It's taking sometime, but I'm enjoying it smiley.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4954 Old 04-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Last night I read The Strange Case of Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, continuing my journey through great gothic fiction. I am once again shocked at how little adaptations resemble the original works.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#4955 Old 04-11-2014, 07:43 PM

Alive - The amazing story about the 1972 plane crash survivors in the andes!

Also 80/10/10...good info on raw vegan eating

Beautiful Fruit Jewelry Made from Real Fruit Slices! http://www.etsy.com/shop/fruitjewelry
#4956 Old 04-12-2014, 03:06 PM
Beginner

"Words of Radiance" by Brandon Sanderson Pure awesomeness. 10/10 If you like fantasy, then you probably already know Brandon Sanderson. If you don't know him, you should definitely check him out. This is book 2 in the Stormlight Archive.
#4957 Old 04-13-2014, 12:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Appetite For Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. She helped make our dinner tonight. Sort of. :rolleyes: 

scwendy likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#4958 Old 04-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Vegan for Her by Ginney Messina. I would call it THE book for any woman considering being vegan, or is vegan and planning a family. Just full of information and tips and loaded with references.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#4959 Old 04-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Vegan for Her by Ginney Messina. I would call it THE book for any woman considering being vegan, or is vegan and planning a family. Just full of information and tips and loaded with references.

That looks really good, thanks for the tip! smiley.gif
#4960 Old 04-13-2014, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been reading Journey to the Center of the Earth. I'm setting a goal to have read a certain number of sci-fi and fantasy novels within the next year (haven't thought of a specific number yet). It will include classic greats of the genres (Verne, Wells, Tolkein, etc.) and newer writers, like Neil Gaiman.

#4961 Old 04-15-2014, 02:36 AM
Veggie Regular

i'm half way through the Time Machine by H.G.Wells

#4962 Old 04-15-2014, 02:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Im actually reading a book about religion, and on how to pray. Its called Pray according to sunnah.

Im looking for some new stuff to read so if anyone have any  good book  selections that they suggest.  Hit me up .

#4963 Old 04-28-2014, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I have just started to read Carlos Castanedas's The Eagle's  Gift. 

#4964 Old 04-28-2014, 05:11 PM

The China Study, Knifes over forks and some Vegan cook books

#4965 Old 04-28-2014, 05:25 PM
Bracing for snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live to ride View Post

The China Study, Knifes over forks and some Vegan cook books

The China Study was great. I've tried 3 times to get through Whole. Haven't made it yet wink3.gif

Right now I'm reading one of Joel Fuhrman's books:

The End of Dieting: How to Live for Life

Typical Fuhrman style (which I enjoy) Not a lot new but very well done, as always.

Ken
#4966 Old 04-29-2014, 04:19 PM
Unintentionally Kittened

I haven't been reading much for a while now D: I just don't know what I want to read.
Right now I'm working
The Cycle: Breaking Stigmas & Unlocking the Benefits of the Female Reproductive System with the Sympto-thermal Method of Fertility Awareness
I want to go through it since it's a free ebook on FAM and the more available resources I can recommend the better smiley.gif

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
#4967 Old 05-05-2014, 05:33 AM
Veggie Regular

#4968 Old 05-06-2014, 02:31 AM

The China Study

Marx: Capital 1

Dan Brown: Inferno

#4969 Old 05-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#4970 Old 05-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

--Fromper
juggle.gif

I quite enjoyed reading that.

#4971 Old 05-07-2014, 10:14 AM

Anything in the Ender's Game series, by Orson Scott Card. Have been reading this series for a long while now. Highly recommended for those sci-fi lovers out there.

#4972 Old 05-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt.

It is AMAZABLES so far.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#4973 Old 05-08-2014, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

perfume by Patrick Süskind. Some very good writing and characterisation but a weak storyline in parts.

#4974 Old 05-28-2014, 09:48 AM

I'm reading Wild Swans by Jung Chang. Really interesting personal account of communism in China across 3 generations of the author's family. Amazing writing. Would really recommend.
#4975 Old 06-19-2014, 04:16 PM

I've been reading Ben, In The World by Doris Lessing. I only have thirty pages left, so I'll probably be done with it soon. It's a pretty good book, but I think I like the first book better.

http://www.cafepress.com/dunkiesanddimeys
#4976 Old 07-23-2014, 01:24 PM

What are you reading at the moment?

Hello everyone,

Basically what the titles says! Thought it would be interesting to share our current reads, in hope to inspire fellow readers.

I will start: I am currently reading The Godfather. Excellent film. Great book.

(MOD POST- oodlesofnoodles, we already have a long running book thread, so I've merged your new one with it.)
Werewolf Girl likes this.

Last edited by Capstan; 07-23-2014 at 02:11 PM.
#4977 Old 07-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oodlesofnoodles View Post
Hello everyone,

Basically what the titles says! Thought it would be interesting to share our current reads, in hope to inspire fellow readers.

I will start: I am currently reading The Godfather. Excellent film. Great book.

(MOD POST- oodlesofnoodles, we already have a long running book thread, so I've merged your new one with it.)
Neat! I love the films but have never read the book, thanks for giving me the idea.

I'm currently finishing up reading the Preacher series. Well, I'm done the main story but there are some short stories attached to it I'm still catching up on, it's so good! I would love to see Preacher turned into a movie or TV series one day.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#4978 Old 07-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#4979 Old 07-23-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
Neat! I love the films but have never read the book, thanks for giving me the idea.

I'm currently finishing up reading the Preacher series. Well, I'm done the main story but there are some short stories attached to it I'm still catching up on, it's so good! I would love to see Preacher turned into a movie or TV series one day.
Read the book! The story told in the film is helped by the fantastic acting, so with the books you can do all the voices ahaha
#4980 Old 07-23-2014, 03:48 PM
Beginner

I've been road tripping a bunch (moving in 3 parts, woo!) so I've been listening to the BBC series of Hitchhiker's Guide. Super fun.

Aside from that, reading for school. The Essential Drucker. So far it's been nap-inducing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page