So what books have we been reading lately? - Page 165 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

#4921 Old 02-21-2014, 09:26 AM
Riot Nrrrd

I spent the last month staying at my Mom's place, so I had plenty of time for reading ... I've been working my way through L. Frank Baum's Oz books and other stuff I had on my hard drive (White Women's Rights: The Racial Origins of Feminism in the US, Vegetarianism in Australia, and other light reading)

Purp and vegan cyberpunk like this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4922 Old 02-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

I spent the last month staying at my Mom's place, so I had plenty of time for reading ... I've been working my way through L. Frank Baum's Oz books and other stuff I had on my hard drive (White Women's Rights: The Racial Origins of Feminism in the US, Vegetarianism in Australia, and other light reading)

I have wonderful old illustrated copies of all the Oz books from when my dad was a kid (he was born in 1926.) smiley.gif
#4923 Old 02-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikekale View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Re-reading "Logical Chess: Move by Move" by Irving Chernev. I read it when I first started playing around 15 years ago, and felt like it might be good to read it again to help improve my game.

--Fromper
juggle.gif

Have you read Reassess Your Chess? I have it but haven't tackled it yet. It got great reviews though. My game needs it. Can't stop reading nutrition books right now though.

Ken
No, but I've heard good things about it. But be sure you've got a good grasp on tactics before you start worrying about strategy. Getting a small positional advantage will do you no good if you just blunder and give pieces away.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4924 Old 02-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Bracing for snow

Quote:

Getting a small positional advantage will do you no good if you just blunder and give pieces away.

You just defined my game wink3.gif

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory...

Ken
#4925 Old 02-21-2014, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikekale View Post

Quote:

Getting a small positional advantage will do you no good if you just blunder and give pieces away.

You just defined my game wink3.gif

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory...

Ken
We should probably move this to a separate thread if we're going to talk chess. I think VB has had a couple of chess threads over the years, but I don't know if there's a recent one.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
ilikekale likes this.
#4926 Old 02-21-2014, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I just read a book called the Faults in Our Stars, I really haven't hated a book that much in a long time. The main character is a vegetarian though :P

#4927 Old 02-21-2014, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post

I just read a book called the Faults in Our Stars, I really haven't hated a book that much in a long time. The main character is a vegetarian though :P

I read that book a while ago. I didn't hate it, but it definitely does not deserve the hype it got.

Jasminedesi16 likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#4928 Old 02-22-2014, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I agree, all my friends said it was amazing and I would cry at the end. But I found it just really sappy and corny.  

#4929 Old 02-26-2014, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Purp likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#4930 Old 02-27-2014, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

The Order of the Stick, Volume -1: Start of Darkness

No, that's not a typo. The actual volume # of the book is -1. It's the prequel to volume #0, which was the first prequel to the series.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#4931 Old 03-03-2014, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The Order of the Stick, Volume -1: Start of Darkness
That was a pretty short read.

I'm still reading "Logical Chess" on and off, as mentioned earlier in the thread, but also reading other stuff when I'm not in front of the chess board at home.

Now I've started reading "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. Very interesting book so far. I'm only 25 pages into it, and I've already learned a ton. Despite covering some pretty heavy concepts and deep science, I'm understanding most of it, despite not having looked at any serious science in 20 years. Very well written.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#4932 Old 03-03-2014, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Today I just started reading Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

Werewolf Girl likes this.

#4933 Old 03-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegman View Post

Today I just started reading Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

I love that one! I need to read it again.

I'm currently reading the Hyperbole and a Half book and it's really funny, I've just been lazy about reading for some reason and I need to make more time for it.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#4934 Old 03-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I just finished reading the China Study. :book: 

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#4935 Old 03-04-2014, 04:27 AM
Bracing for snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

I just finished reading the China Study. book2.gif  

What did you think of it?

I really liked it. I've tried three times to get through his next book, "Whole" Just can't do it. I want more "eat this because...." rather than 'these people all ganged up against me' stuff. There's a lot if anger and resentment there. I get it. If it had been me, I'd want to tell that story too, but it's not an uplifting or even helpful read. At least the parts I've gotten through.

Ken
#4936 Old 03-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I like it. It was a very interesting read, to say the least. I didn't know he had another book out...I'm going to have to look for it.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#4937 Old 03-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Bracing for snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

I like it. It was a very interesting read, to say the least. I didn't know he had another book out...I'm going to have to look for it.

Whole was next. Then he wrote The Low Carb Fraud

http://www.amazon.com/Low-Carb-Fraud-T-Colin-Campbell-ebook/dp/B00FJG87IC/ref=la_B001K7QPBA_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393979441&sr=1-3

Which, to me, was easier than Whole. I just never could settle in to Whole, I'm sorry to say.

Ken
#4938 Old 03-06-2014, 02:38 PM

Been reading Food Inc.

#4939 Old 03-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Impeach the gangster

Just started The Dark Threads, by Jean Davison.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#4940 Old 03-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

She's my favourite writer and she's giving a talk about the book in Leeds in less than two weeks time.

Capstan likes this.
#4941 Old 03-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post

She's my favourite writer and she's giving a talk about the book in Leeds in less than two weeks time.

I'm only into chapter 2, but so far, I'm finding her writing skills most impressive, and her true story to be chilling. I had a similar experience to her own, so her book is jogging some grim memories for me, which is probably a good thing, as they can bear some more scrutiny. I wish I could attend her event. Will you be there? Will she lecture abroad, I wonder?

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#4942 Old 03-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm only into chapter 2, but so far, I'm finding her writing skills most impressive, and her true story to be chilling. I had a similar experience to her own, so her book is jogging some grim memories for me, which is probably a good thing, as they can bear some more scrutiny. I wish I could attend her event. Will you be there? Will she lecture abroad, I wonder?

I'll be there giving full support, selling books and hopefully taking a few pictures. 

#4943 Old 03-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post

I'll be there giving full support, selling books and hopefully taking a few pictures

You must post them!

EDIT- For those who don't know, the author Jean Davison is leedsveg's better half.

#4944 Old 03-06-2014, 04:30 PM

I love historical fiction. I've really been into novels by Kate Emerson. I'm currently reading Pleasure Palace. All of her novels are set during the time of King Henry the VII and VIII. Great novels.

#4945 Old 03-08-2014, 05:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I love that one! I need to read it again.

I just finished it. what a Great book! I would put it up there with the likes of Animal farm, nineteen eighty-four and brave new word. I will start the wind in the willows next.

#4946 Old 03-08-2014, 06:17 AM
Banned

Quote:

I've read the extracts on the author's blog and have promptly ordered the book from Amazon; really looking forward to reading this.

#4947 Old 03-08-2014, 10:09 AM

I'm currently reading s series called Secrets of the Tudor Court. I love historical fiction and I'm absolutely in love with British Royalty especially the Tudors.

I'm currently reading Pleasure Palace. The author is named Kate Emmerson. She is a great writer and I've not been disappointed in any of the books I've read so far.

#4948 Old 03-12-2014, 11:00 AM

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt ova here!! Such a great read and so well written grin.gif
#4949 Old 04-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I suddenly felt like going back and reading some of my old comics, so I started reading Promethea last night. I actually read the first dozen or so issues when it was new, but I stopped reading/collecting comics around that time. A couple of years later, I went back and caught up on buying back issues for a few of my favorite series, so I have all 32 issues of Promethea, but I don't think I ever read more than the first half of the series.

When I'm done with that, there's a few others I'm thinking of going back and re-reading (or in some cases, reading for the first time, since I didn't finish reading them all when I bought them). For a couple, that will mean tracking down some more back issues.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#4950 Old 04-08-2014, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Mind's Eye by Richards
91ajd8%2BwoWL._SL1500_.jpg

Hard to put down, I would have liked more character development. Good overall.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page