has anyone read mad cowboy? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-27-2009, 03:46 PM

I just got this book at the used bookstore and haven't started reading it yet. Anyone read it? Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I read and liked it.

Several years ago....
#3 Old 01-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I read it right after I went veg (about 2 years ago) so I don't remember a lot about it. I had also already read some other books (along the same lines) so I'm not sure how much I gleaned from it.

Different point of view though and that's always interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I havent read it, but it appears the large amount of reviews on amazon love it. I am pretty burned out on the "hidden truth behind the meat industry" books, atm though.
#5 Old 01-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I have that book but it was a few years ago that I read it.
#6 Old 01-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes I have. I've read a lot of books about the meat industry/veg*nism/etc., but I did feel that this one offered a new and interesting perspective. It was worth the read, particularly as it's not very long.
#7 Old 01-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I read it. Just before going vegan. I guess it was the catalyst for me to go vegan. I haven't read it since, so I don't know how much I'd like it now.

I believe everything.
#8 Old 01-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, actually, I met Howard Lyman at the last veg fest I went to, and got a signed copy. He is a really nice friendly guy! I didn't even know who he was, he just said hello and started chatting.

I wasn't sure I wanted to read it, since I don't need any more convincing, but it was a good, entertaining read, informative, but not heavy on the really horrible aspects of the meat industry. I was afraid I would get depressed and cry, but it actually made me laugh. He's got a good dry sense of humor, and is very down to earth.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#9 Old 01-28-2009, 04:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Yes, actually, I met Howard Lyman at the last veg fest I went to, and got a signed copy. He is a really nice friendly guy! I didn't even know who he was, he just said hello and started chatting.

I wasn't sure I wanted to read it, since I don't need any more convincing, but it was a good, entertaining read, informative, but not heavy on the really horrible aspects of the meat industry. I was afraid I would get depressed and cry, but it actually made me laugh. He's got a good dry sense of humor, and is very down to earth.

Me too! He gave a lecture at a local library so I bought his book and he signed it. The lecture was very informative as I had only been vegetarian for about a year (and was eating fish, duh). From the time I stepped foot out of that library, I gave up dairy/eggs (and the fish!). I admit I didn't read the book from cover to cover but I did skim through it. Howard's lecture pretty much covered everything that was in the book. I'd say go for it and give it a read.
#10 Old 01-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I did a search on Howard Lyman and realized I had heard his story on the Peaceable Kingdom documentary, I knew there was something familar there. His story gave the video alot of strength, I liked it.
#11 Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

I haven't read it but I came to post the same thing. I met him once and he seemed like a really nice guy. I was really impressed.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page