techno/industrial/ambient/house, etc. - recommendations - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

i've always just said "techno" when i refer to this type of music - i dont' think there's a genre of it that i don't like. i'm listening to it more often now. my brother is getting into it more, as well. just trying to expand our music experience.

so i'm wondering what are some albums i should look out for? any certain groups to pay attention to? or even if you just have some favorites from off of youtube, to give me an idea of what direction i should go in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I love that music especialy trip-hop and electronica, one of my favourite artists is Bjork, albums I've got of hers are: Volta, Debut, Post and a greatest hits.

Volta is the most recent one and is more Electronica, Alternative.

Debut is more Electronic, House, Tribal House.

Post is more Electronica, Experimental, Jazz, Tribal House, Trip hop, Pop, Alternative Dance.
#3 Old 12-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Banned

Aphex Twin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I like the Fabric 44 mix by John Tejada.

You should subscribe to the fabric cd series. They send you a new mix cd each month and most of them are pretty good. The djs vary by subgenre but most of them are techno.

http://www.fabriclondon.com/label/catalogue.php
#5 Old 12-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Beginner

Second Aphex Twin. Selected Ambient Works II is a good album. I'm also partial to the Richard D James album and Drukqs.

ooh, another one, ulrich schnauss. Sort of ambient, not really sure what category to put him in.

I like Goodbye, it's sort of shoegazey, but Far Away Trains Passing By and Quicksand Memory EP are also good with a similar sound.
#6 Old 12-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

i've always just said "techno" when i refer to this type of music - i dont' think there's a genre of it that i don't like. i'm listening to it more often now. my brother is getting into it more, as well. just trying to expand our music experience.

so i'm wondering what are some albums i should look out for? any certain groups to pay attention to? or even if you just have some favorites from off of youtube, to give me an idea of what direction i should go in.

It would also be helpful if you gave an example of things you've heard that you like.
#7 Old 12-20-2008, 02:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i've always just said "techno" when i refer to this type of music - i dont' think there's a genre of it that i don't like.

Many people seem to get confused about that and use techno as a general description for dance music or even to describe all electronic music, but it's very misleading really because techno is a genre of it's own within dance music. So if you were to ask an electronic music devotee to recommend some 'techno' to you, you could get lead a bit astray!

I don't like to tell people what I think they should listen to, I prefer to show them what's available and let them make their own choices, so here's a few sites that I hope will be of help to you.

Ishkar's guide to electronic music is a very useful site still. It's what I always recommend to anyone who seriously wants to know about electronic music.

Just a warning though, the guy who wrote it is very sarcastic, but it's very accurate and very comprehensive...If there's a genre you want to know about, it will be there.

The Ambient Music guide should help you out too....an A-Z of most relevant artists.

Also, the top 100 Electronic Music Albums is by no means a comprehensive or exhaustive guide (no trance albums!) and I wouldn't necessarily agree with the order of the list myself, but it will give you an overview of the more popular end of electronica.

#8 Old 12-21-2008, 06:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i've always just said "techno" when i refer to this type of music - i dont' think there's a genre of it that i don't like.

Many people seem to get confused about that and use techno as a general description for dance music or even to describe all electronic music, but it's very misleading really because techno is a genre of it's own within dance music. So if you were to ask an electronic music devotee to recommend some 'techno' to you, you could get lead a bit astray!

I don't like to tell people what I think they should listen to, I prefer to show them what's available and let them make their own choices, so here's a few sites that I hope will be of help to you.

Ishkur's Guide to Electronic music is a very useful site still. It's what I always recommend to anyone who seriously wants to know about electronic music.

Just a warning though, the guy who wrote it is very sarcastic, but it's very accurate and very comprehensive...If there's a genre you want to know about, it will be there.

The Ambient Music Guide should help you out too....an A-Z of most relevant artists.

Also, the the Top 100 Electronic Music albums is by no means a comprehensive or exhaustive guide (no trance albums!) and I wouldn't necessarily agree with the order of the list myself, but it will give you an overview of the more popular end of electronica.

#9 Old 12-21-2008, 07:44 AM

jenna, i like most electronic music but i often dont have time to listen to that much of it outside of my main loves which are psytrance and dub/chill/ambient. i dunno whther youd like the stuff i listen to, a lot of people find it too hard. try listening to digitallyimported radio, theyve got a trance and chill channel that you might like. or just google ambient radio and itll bring up something for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybaritik View Post

its true that its comprehensive and its amusing in places, but i have a few issues with it myself. i reckon its starting to look a bit dated. i mean wheres the dark psy ffs !! some of the samples of psy and goa are pretty odd choices to me too, and what he says about there being little difference between psy and goa no longer applies. i dont like it when people run down commercial trax just because theyre commercial either. i reckon if people have a good time dancing to a mainstream trak then to me that makes it a valid trak. at the end of the day [or night :P] dance music is just a soundtrack for a good time, its not meant to be over intellectualised about.
#10 Old 12-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

its true that its comprehensive and its amusing in places, but i have a few issues with it myself. i reckon its starting to look a bit dated. i mean wheres the dark psy ffs !!

Trainspotter!

You're right really. It's been a few years since I've read it in detail, but if you're just looking for a basic understanding of the genres I think it's still ok.

Quote:
i reckon if people have a good time dancing to a mainstream trak then to me that makes it a valid trak. at the end of the day [or night :P] dance music is just a soundtrack for a good time, its not meant to be over intellectualised about.

Too right... but then you have to say that when you've been caught dancing to Kylie tracks as many times as you have.

#11 Old 12-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I love electronic music!

I tend towards electro, breaks and drum n bass, as well as ambient and trip hop. I was actually just at a winter soulstice psytrance party last night, and danced to dubstep for the first time which was fantastic.

Some of my favorite's include:

Malente

Atomic Hooligan

Brixx

The Orb

Massive Attack (Mezzanine is a great albumn)

There are so many others...

If you have itunes, I would recommend checking out some of the electronic radio stations. They have great stuff.

I'll also send you a facebook link to Deviant, my all time favorite DJ and one of my best friends. He plays dirty, funky electro and breaks that make me wanna dance till my pants fall off!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#12 Old 12-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't know which category it would fall under, but I like Jam & Spoon.
#13 Old 12-24-2008, 02:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Delhi to Dublin is neat. Its a mix of electronica and world music. They have a celtic flavour with punjabi vocals, an electric sitar, and electronic beats. Very upbeat & fun. I didn't really dig the album that much (since I'm not a huge electronic music fan), but when I saw them live it was really hard not to love every second... it was very high energy.

I can't help but enjoy some of the mainstream stuff while I'm doing cardio at the gym (or something)... for example, Daft Punk/Moby/etc.
#14 Old 12-24-2008, 03:02 AM

For ambient music, I recommend Godspeed! You Black Emperor.
#15 Old 12-24-2008, 03:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantkarma View Post

for ambient music, i recommend godspeed! You black emperor.

heck yes!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page