Really disturbing F Word episode (Gordon Ramsay) - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 Old 10-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_veg View Post

At the risk of being rounded up by the vegetarian gestapo and taken away, I'm going to admit that I actually kind of like Gordon Ramsay. I'm a big fan of his UK Kitchen Nightmares show. He makes me laugh, and he always tells it as he sees it, which I respect. I watched this whole show and it was the so-called-vegetarians on it that pissed me off, not Gordon.



We don't have to hate people just because they hold beliefs different from our own. Gordon happens to be an unabashed carnivore who believes that everyone should eat meat. Fine. I strongly disagree with him, and I'd love to have a good debate with him about it, but he is entitled to hold that opinion.



At least he's not a hypocrite. He doesn't support factory farming, and will catch and kill animals himself. In this show, he uses farm caviar, free range chicken, and he makes sure to ask about the sustainability of hunting puffins. He does use veal, but that is just typical Gordon - using the most anti-vegetarian meat to serve to vegetarians. And what was with those people? There was surely a bit of TV smoke a mirrors going on there. I'm sure most of them agreed to try eating meat for the sake of the show, but are still vegetarians today.



Anyways, you guys that hate everyone who advocates eating meat must sure hate a lot of people...



I actually like Gordon Ramsey and his Kitchen Nightmares and Hells Kitchen Shows....do I like what he does to veggies/vegans? No but his show is very entertaining and he cracks me up sometimes....he has always admitted that he doesnt understand veggies and thinks that its just wrong to be one...but oh well thats just his opinion....and as for the veggies eating meat noone forced them they ate it of their own free will....if he would have asked me I would Have said a bigg NOOOOO....
GhostUser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 Old 10-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular
 
HummusKelpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,070
Cool, my Youtube comment got a +1
HummusKelpilot is offline  
#33 Old 10-16-2008, 10:07 PM
...
 
Blobbenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

Who is Steven Dawkins? Some strange amalgam of Richard Dawkins and Steven Hawken?





yeah I get them mixed up; I meant Richard Dawkins

Blobbenstein is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#34 Old 10-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Chrysalis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,101
I don't hate him. I'm just not impressed by him.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
Chrysalis is offline  
#35 Old 10-17-2008, 01:56 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
I dislike him immensely...
GhostUser is offline  
#36 Old 10-17-2008, 02:04 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_veg View Post

Anyways, you guys that hate everyone who advocates eating meat must sure hate a lot of people...

You may disagree with the people who hate Gordon Ramsey, but they are entitled to that opinion

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#37 Old 10-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Wasn't Bof banned because there was discovered a connection between him and William Ayers and Bof was considered a threat to America?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#38 Old 10-17-2008, 02:11 AM
Veggie Regular
 
guinnesshero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,510
His views on vegetarians aside I like the guy and his show. I get tired of all the feel good crap on tv. I would of course never eat at one of his food( as if I could afford it anyway) since you cant trust him.
guinnesshero is offline  
#39 Old 10-17-2008, 02:14 AM
Veggie Regular
 
guinnesshero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Wasn't Bof banned because there was discovered a connection between him and William Ayers and Bof was considered a threat to America?



wow Bof was banned? Can't imagine he was a secret omni or something.
guinnesshero is offline  
#40 Old 10-17-2008, 06:33 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Music Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,610
I think Gordon Ramsey is sexy.

I don't know why.

He is offensive in a hundred different ways....

But I still think he's incredibly hot and I love watching the F Word even though I often have to cover my eyes and/or get upset at the animal parts.



I don't know what is wrong with me.
Music Girl is offline  
#41 Old 10-17-2008, 07:37 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,551
watching that show it started to feel like there was a quota for how many times they had to swear per minute.



... i don't dislike ramsey cos he dislikes vegetarians. i dislike him cos he comes across as an obnoxious little turd.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#42 Old 10-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ajax13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_veg View Post

At the risk of being rounded up by the vegetarian gestapo and taken away, I'm going to admit that I actually kind of like Gordon Ramsay. I'm a big fan of his UK Kitchen Nightmares show. He makes me laugh, and he always tells it as he sees it, which I respect. ...

Yes, as long as a person tells it as he sees it, personality traits like rudeness, arrogance, and spite don't matter.



Quote:
[...]We don't have to hate people just because they hold beliefs different from our own. Gordon happens to be an unabashed carnivore who believes that everyone should eat meat. Fine. I strongly disagree with him, and I'd love to have a good debate with him about it, but he is entitled to hold that opinion.

Are people entitled to hold unenlightened opinions?



Quote:
At least he's not a hypocrite. He doesn't support factory farming, and will catch and kill animals himself. In this show, he uses farm caviar, free range chicken, and he makes sure to ask about the sustainability of hunting puffins. He does use veal, but that is just typical Gordon - using the most anti-vegetarian meat to serve to vegetarians. And what was with those people? There was surely a bit of TV smoke a mirrors going on there. I'm sure most of them agreed to try eating meat for the sake of the show, but are still vegetarians today.

Some easily compromised veg*n principles there.



Quote:
Anyways, you guys that hate everyone who advocates eating meat must sure hate a lot of people...

Give me a break. You know good and well that Gordon Ramsey is not like many other meat eaters. He enjoys harassing veg*ns. It's just lovely that he will kill the animals himself, how honest and noble of him. Why would you as a veg*n spend an ounce of energy defending someone who you admit antagonizes veg*ns?
ajax13 is offline  
#43 Old 10-17-2008, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ajax13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthWhispers View Post

Personally, I don't "hate everyone who advocates eating meat." I personally don't try to convert people to vegetarianism, so I am a bit insulted when someone tries to "reform" vegetarians. ...

Shouldn't we as veg*ns try to convert as many people as possible? But perhaps you're not veg*n for ethical reasons.
ajax13 is offline  
#44 Old 10-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax13 View Post


Are people entitled to hold unenlightened opinions?

Yes. But what they are not entitled to is protection from criticism.



I really never get the "he/she is entitled to his/her opinion" or "it's a free country" comments. Is this thread about infringing on someone's right to free speech? If not, then stating the right to free speech in the US seems pretty redundant.



I don't think they should let that ****face on TV, but that should come about by viewers not being so stupid that they consider cursing and arrogance a merit, not by censorship.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#45 Old 10-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ajax13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I really never get the "he/she is entitled to his/her opinion" or "it's a free country" comments. Is this thread about infringing on someone's right to free speech? If not, then stating the right to free speech in the US seems pretty redundant.

Yes, I suspect "he/she is entitled to his/her opinion" is becoming too cliche.
Quote:
I don't think they should let that ****face on TV, but that should come about by viewers not being so stupid that they consider cursing and arrogance a merit, not by censorship.

Yes, sad to say a trait like humility left the American lexicon a long time ago.
ajax13 is offline  
#46 Old 10-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax13 View Post

Shouldn't we as veg*ns try to convert as many people as possible? But perhaps you're not veg*n for ethical reasons.



I don't try to convert... instead I hope to change others' opinions by example. You can't force people to change. They must be willing to make that change. Lead by example, if you will.



I know that people have made their own decision to become veg*n based on the example of my life. I recently started working for a new company. On many occasions, one of my coworkers has commented on how energetic and positive I am. She also guessed I was vegetarian based on my lunches. Thoughtful questions and wonderful discussion led to her decision to give it a go. I don't believe I converted her... she made a choice to explore other options and I hope she makes the decision to stick with it.



Note: I became vegetarian for health reasons, but now consider myself an "ethical vegetarian" even more so than a "health vegetarian."
earthwhispers is offline  
#47 Old 10-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular
 
SomebodyElse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In a California Ghost Town
Posts: 7,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_veg View Post

We don't have to hate people just because they hold beliefs different from our own.

Except that Gordon Ramsey's beliefs involve victims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_veg View Post

Gordon happens to be an unabashed carnivore who believes that everyone should eat meat. Fine. I strongly disagree with him, and I'd love to have a good debate with him about it, but he is entitled to hold that opinion.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax13 View Post

Are people entitled to hold unenlightened opinions?

I would say no, not if those opinions involve advocating the deaths of others.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_veg View Post

At least he's not a hypocrite. He doesn't support factory farming, and will catch and kill animals himself.

This is sort of like respecting the producers of snuff films, because they actually go out and kill the people whose murders they film, rather than the people who just stay at home and watch the movies.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
SomebodyElse is offline  
#48 Old 10-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,641

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

sleepydvdr is offline  
#49 Old 10-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
There will always be a supply of fake health veg*ns who will abandon their convictions, if they ever had them, to get on tv.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#50 Old 10-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ajax13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthWhispers View Post

I don't try to convert... instead I hope to change others' opinions by example. You can't force people to change. They must be willing to make that change. Lead by example, if you will.



I know that people have made their own decision to become veg*n based on the example of my life. I recently started working for a new company. On many occasions, one of my coworkers has commented on how energetic and positive I am. She also guessed I was vegetarian based on my lunches. Thoughtful questions and wonderful discussion led to her decision to give it a go. I don't believe I converted her... she made a choice to explore other options and I hope she makes the decision to stick with it.



Note: I became vegetarian for health reasons, but now consider myself an "ethical vegetarian" even more so than a "health vegetarian."

I don't really disagree with you here, but would suggest that there are times when urgency for the animals makes the "lead by example" approach seem lackluster. I do understand your points though.



ETA: And I would say that if your coworker does stick with vegetarianism, by way of thoughtful questions/discussion with you, then you actually did convert her. I certainly didn't mean conversion by way of throwing egg on her face when you catch her eating meat. Sorry, bit of semantic confusion on my part.
ajax13 is offline  
#51 Old 10-18-2008, 05:14 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Why was Bof banned? Does anyone know why?
GhostUser is offline  
#52 Old 10-18-2008, 05:40 AM
...
 
Blobbenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3,936
maybe it was just a suspension.

Blobbenstein is offline  
#53 Old 10-18-2008, 07:03 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwalkersgirl View Post

Why was Bof banned? Does anyone know why?



we're not allowed to discuss it (for the privacy of those involved, and cos bof isn't here to give his side of the story) ... sorry.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#54 Old 10-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular
 
jeff_veg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax13 View Post

Are people entitled to hold unenlightened opinions?



Of course. What's the alternative, other then a totalitarian state? Meat eating is like politics. Trying to "convert" a meat eater to a vegetarian is about as easy and effective as trying to "convert" a Republican into a Democrat. It doesn't work. In fact, any attempt to do so has been proven to only harden the person's beliefs. That's why slow change through education and tolerance is the path forward. If you think that attacking Gordon Ramsey makes one lick of difference in the world or helps convert anyone, you are sorely deluded.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax13 View Post


Give me a break. You know good and well that Gordon Ramsey is not like many other meat eaters. He enjoys harassing veg*ns. It's just lovely that he will kill the animals himself, how honest and noble of him. Why would you as a veg*n spend an ounce of energy defending someone who you admit antagonizes veg*ns?



I was defending Ramsey because I felt he was getting an unfair bashing on here. Practically every chef in the world advocates eating meat, Ramsey is just more in your face about it because that's just how he is. At least he promotes sustainable practices, and to me that means he is not the real enemy.



If you watch Ramsey long enough, you realize he's not a bad guy. Did you know Ramsey once tried to save a vegetarian restaurant? There is a point in that show when he single handedly opens the restaurant, cooks, and serves all the same time for a lunch. What a prick!



Sure, he likes to rub vegetarians the wrong way, mostly because a lot of them have no sense of humor about it and he loves getting a rise out of people.
jeff_veg is offline  
#55 Old 10-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_veg View Post

At least he promotes sustainable practices, and to me that means he is not the real enemy.

I wouldn't use the word "enemy", but the practices he supports are not ethically sustainable, so that doesn't cut it.



Quote:
Sure, he likes to rub vegetarians the wrong way, mostly because a lot of them have no sense of humor about it and he loves getting a rise out of people.

I guess I could meet someone who has a food allergy, then lie about what their food contains, and then when they become upset afterwards, say that they just have no sense of humor. That sounds like a great thing to do, I will use Gordon as my role model since he's a great guy and all

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#56 Old 10-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular
 
jeff_veg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I wouldn't use the word "enemy", but the practices he supports are not ethically sustainable, so that doesn't cut it.



Good luck with that battle. As I said early, it must be exhausting.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I guess I could meet someone who has a food allergy, then lie about what their food contains, and then when they become upset afterwards, say that they just have no sense of humor. That sounds like a great thing to do, I will use Gordon as my role model since he's a great guy and all



I say go for it. I've always said that the world needs a vegetarian version of Gordon Ramsey... but with more cursing. You can slip people tofu then laugh about it after. For the record, that meat incident happened once and was not intentional, but if you want to judge the man based on that, there's not much I can do about it.
jeff_veg is offline  
#57 Old 10-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_veg View Post

Good luck with that battle. As I said early, it must be exhausting.

Well yes, having a moral view against the status quo may be exhausting. Maybe I'll just start embracing all the violence in this world and start watching reality television that celebrates arrogance as a merit, so I'll be less exhausted.



Quote:
You can slip people tofu then laugh about it after.

That's not equivalent to putting meat in a veg*n's meal, unless the person is allergic to soy. In which case I wouldn't laugh but feel pretty bad about being an *******.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#58 Old 10-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular
 
catmandu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

we're not allowed to discuss it (for the privacy of those involved, and cos bof isn't here to give his side of the story) ... sorry.



So we can't find out why Bof was banned because Bof isn't here to give his side of the story, & Bof can't give his side of the story because Bof is banned.



Charming.
catmandu is offline  
#59 Old 10-19-2008, 05:47 AM
Beginner
 
Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 125
I found another old article about him.



http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...getarians.html



"Gordon Ramsay's pet lamb slaughter 'has turned viewers into vegetarians'

Animal rights' group PETA has praised Gordon Ramsay for showing scenes of lambs being slaughtered to millions of viewers on his TV show.



PETA claims the images of two lambs being stunned with 200 volts of electricity and then being hung up and having their throats cut have turned a number of viewers vegetarian.



Viewers could clearly see blood gush from the open wound and then the immediate aftermath as each lamb still twitched - although they were both said to be dead and that was apparently the result of nerves still acting in their bodies.



Ramsay was also shown carving the removed skull of each lamb, and then cutting out their brains which he said he had promised to give to fellow chef, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.



During the slaughter process Ramsay said: "The last thing on my mind now is f*****g shepherd's pie." He had been rearing the lambs for three months in the garden of his London home with the intention of serving them in a shepherd's pie at his Claridge's restaurant."



It's good that he's shown what really happens. I still hate him though

He's just so eager to kill... It's disturbing





I mean who would kill that ^ (The lamb I mean :P)
Ruin is offline  
#60 Old 10-19-2008, 06:06 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
That photo...
GhostUser is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off