asian films and tv - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

i don't think this has been discussed before, not recently anyways. the anime and foreign music threads made me wonder if anyone else here shares my love of asian film.

i almost watch more chinese movies than american ones. chinese, japanese, thai, korean, etc. less now since i moved cause we don't have a decent video store with a good selection of foreign films but sometimes i find some snuck into the drama or action sections at blockbuster. i like the more mainstream martial arts films of course, anything with Jet Li in particular, and well known dramas with big actors like Li Gong etc but i also tend to go for lesser known films. i love anything with/by Takeshi Kitano (he was the teacher from Battle Royale and the star/director of the Zatoichi movie remake (loooove this movie!!). he's an awesome actor, writer and director. i quite like Takeshi Kaneshiro also (House of Flying Daggers, was also in tv show i love called God Give Me More Time[kamisama mousukoshi dake] starring Kyoko Fukada who is an amazing actress)

i started watching a few japanese tv shows online a while back and fell in love. i haven't seen much recently, it's hard to track them down when you don't know the titles, i just scout around sites like crunchyroll and veoh until i find one that looks interesting or i read user comments to get an idea of what they're about etc. i wish i knew more people who watched them to share recommendations. the one i mentioned above was fantastic and Friends (not the american one lol) was really good. it's Japanese-Korean.

also you can't go wrong with japanese game shows

so, anyone?

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-12-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

House of Flying Daggers

i really like the look of that film, the cinematography is spectacular.
#3 Old 08-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

then you should also check out Curse of the Golden Flower if you haven't already, the sets and costumes are spectacular

~Miyavi "Torture"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

so, anyone?

I'm your huckleberry!

Turn Left, Turn Right

nice little romantic comedy with gigi leung and takeshi kaneshiro.

many korean films are a bunch of nationalist crap, the inferiority complex is incredible. jsa, swiri, tae guk gi, 2009 lost memories. there's always these scenes of someone dying for the motherland while shooting a machinegun and screaming something jingoistic. those movies are good, just that they go over a certain feeling that is deeply held but also kind of crude to outsiders. The North Korean Godzilla type monster movie with didactic communist subtext Pulgasari also deserves honorable mention.

I really love the crap that Kinji Fukasaku has made over the years, he is not a respected director but everything he does is entertaining. Legend of the Eight Samurai, that swordfight toward the end in the gustave klimt room, awesome. also Black Lizzard, Virus, Violent Cop, Battle Royale esp.

Wong Kar Wai

the common thing to say it's like French New Wave again. Faye Wong in Chungking Express is Jean Seberg in Breathless. then there's the whole trilogy of Days of Being Wild, In the Mood for Love and 2046. gorgeous, heartbreaking, real.

john woo

just watch The Killer and maybe if you really liked that a lot Hardboiled, which is nothing new but it's bigger, a last harrah for his hong kong career. The Killer is the best, specifically that scene where Chow Yun Fat has the Dragunov Rifle and mustache like out of spike jonze "sabotage" music video. that is the best it gets man, I could make that image my avatar.

Akira Kurosawa doesn't just do samurai stuff, some of his best work is contemporary. High & Low and Ikiru are must see.

for really crazy action, classics like Come Drink With Me by the Shaw Bros. or Branded to Kill from Seijun Suzuki.

nobody really has that much fun with action until maybe Andy Lau years later in Fulltime Killer.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#5 Old 08-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I havent seen house of flying daggers yet I have been wanting to. Hero with jet lee was the s**t tho. If you havent seen it its a must
#6 Old 08-13-2008, 12:24 AM
Veggie Regular

The last couple Thai movies I watched were Citizen Dog (comedy) and the Unseeable (horror), both of which I enjoyed quite a bit.
#7 Old 08-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

I'm your huckleberry!

Turn Left, Turn Right

nice little romantic comedy with gigi leung and takeshi kaneshiro.

many korean films are a bunch of nationalist crap, the inferiority complex is incredible. jsa, swiri, tae guk gi, 2009 lost memories. there's always these scenes of someone dying for the motherland while shooting a machinegun and screaming something jingoistic. those movies are good, just that they go over a certain feeling that is deeply held but also kind of crude to outsiders. The North Korean Godzilla type monster movie with didactic communist subtext Pulgasari also deserves honorable mention.

I really love the crap that Kinji Fukasaku has made over the years, he is not a respected director but everything he does is entertaining. Legend of the Eight Samurai, that swordfight toward the end in the gustave klimt room, awesome. also Black Lizzard, Virus, Violent Cop, Battle Royale esp.

Wong Kar Wai

the common thing to say it's like French New Wave again. Faye Wong in Chungking Express is Jean Seberg in Breathless. then there's the whole trilogy of Days of Being Wild, In the Mood for Love and 2046. gorgeous, heartbreaking, real.

john woo

just watch The Killer and maybe if you really liked that a lot Hardboiled, which is nothing new but it's bigger, a last harrah for his hong kong career. The Killer is the best, specifically that scene where Chow Yun Fat has the Dragunov Rifle and mustache like out of spike jonze "sabotage" music video. that is the best it gets man, I could make that image my avatar.

Akira Kurosawa doesn't just do samurai stuff, some of his best work is contemporary. High & Low and Ikiru are must see.

for really crazy action, classics like Come Drink With Me by the Shaw Bros. or Branded to Kill from Seijun Suzuki.

nobody really has that much fun with action until maybe Andy Lau years later in Fulltime Killer.

Andy Lau

Infernal Affairs trilogy, totally forgot to mention, is awesome. the DiCaprio version wasn't anywhere near as good.

i didn't see Killer i don't think or hardboiled. i do like Chow Yun Fat though. he was great in Curse of the Golden Flower. watch the interviews on the dvd's special features, he mentions that he's not fluent in mandarin and had to learn for the movie, yet he still pulls off an awesome performance. just like much of the cast of Memoirs of a Geisha didn't speak english and had to memorize the script phonetically yet you wouldn't know it to see it.

2046 was good... wierd... but good

a lot of the movies you mentioned are ones i've wanted to see. a couple i hadn't heard of. i'll have to check them out

have you seen Shinobi? i think it's based off a video game and/or manga so at times i felt i was missing a bit of backstory or something but overall not a bad movie.

hmmm what else have i seen recently...

Wo Hu, pretty much a spin off of infernal affairs, some of the same actors

Blood and Bones (Takeshi Kitano) was really good. very dark.

the Host.. cheesy Korean monster movie but it was really well done

Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Lady Vengeance

ehh i'll think of more. i don't watch many horror movies but there are a few i should check out

oh i also really liked Beijing Bicycle

oh..

Quill

Nobody Knows. so sad

~Miyavi "Torture"
#8 Old 08-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mskedi View Post

The last couple Thai movies I watched were Citizen Dog (comedy) and the Unseeable (horror), both of which I enjoyed quite a bit.

have you seen Legend of Suriyothai? gorgeous film.

Ong Bak and the Protector are amusing if only to see someone kick a lot of a$$ with some really cool moves

~Miyavi "Torture"
#9 Old 08-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I hired Final Fantasy VII from the video store yesterday, and I finished watching it today.

the graphics and fighting scenes were really good imo.
#10 Old 08-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Andy Lau

Infernal Affairs trilogy, totally forgot to mention, is awesome. the DiCaprio version wasn't anywhere near as good.

actually I think The Departed was a really good adaptation. Infernal Affairs is a stupid title, you see that with the cover in the video store and it's easy to ignore.

Quote:

i didn't see Killer i don't think or hardboiled. i do like Chow Yun Fat though.

just a taste

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+yun+fat&vt=lf

Quote:

2046 was good... wierd... but good

a lot of the movies you mentioned are ones i've wanted to see. a couple i hadn't heard of. i'll have to check them out

have you seen Shinobi? i think it's based off a video game and/or manga so at times i felt i was missing a bit of backstory or something but overall not a bad movie.

shinobi? nope I'll bump that up my netflix que.

Juzo Itami's Tampopo

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=tampopo&vt=lf

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#11 Old 08-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

i dunno i thought the english title was ok, but the covers were pretty boring looking.

~Miyavi "Torture"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page