-Sigh- (Daniel Johns no longer vegan) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Beginner

Well I just found out that my favorite vegan isn't vegan anymore Although I believe he's still vegetarian, the rumor is that Daniel Johns from Silverchair now eats fish, something having to do with his reactive arthritis. I do understand for health reasons, although I'm hoping that he is still an advocate for animal rights and I hope he doesn't eat meat or dairy. The PETA link is still on their website, so hopefully he's still in the fight!

Oh well I'd still marry him. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Banned

Breaths a "sigh" of relief , thought it was Shania Twain (Mr,Suns sweetie) for a moment .

I see Daniel is a fish eating vegetarian
#3 Old 05-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Banned

I can't find any resource that confirms this. Where did you hear this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

That's a shame
#5 Old 05-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WushuMom View Post

Although I believe he's still vegetarian, the rumor is that Daniel Johns from Silverchair now eats fish, .

apparently,he is no longer vegetarian now too??

sucks though. maybe he needs an VB intervention.
#6 Old 05-06-2008, 08:18 PM

Fish is meat and isn't vegetarian. Where did you hear about this?
#7 Old 05-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

Fish is meat and isn't vegetarian. Where did you hear about this?

+1

He is not even vegetarian now..
#8 Old 05-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I wonder he gave in due to convenience or social pressure.
#9 Old 05-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidAnne View Post

apparently,he is no longer vegetarian now too??

sucks though. maybe he needs an VB intervention.

Wouldn't help. People here are often not very understanding, or supportive of "backslidden" veg*ns.
#10 Old 05-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think he eats properly. He's always looked sickly and underweight to me.

I wonder if he tried flax seed for his arthritis before giving up veganism or veggism....which ever one he is.
#11 Old 05-07-2008, 12:06 AM

Well, that does suck. I hope he made the right decision. Maybe he did. No longer vegan OR vegetarian.
#12 Old 05-07-2008, 06:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Spawn Again is one of the most passionate AR songs I've heard. How can someone who wrote something like this go back to eating animals of any kind (assuming this is true)?

Quote:
So eat what you murder

This is animal liberation

Eight billion killed for human pleasure

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#13 Old 05-07-2008, 06:14 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Who is Daniel Jones, and what is Silverfish? Is he a cousin of Shania Twain?
#14 Old 05-07-2008, 06:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybaritik View Post

I don't think he eats properly. He's always looked sickly and underweight to me.

because he was anorexic.
#15 Old 05-07-2008, 07:35 AM
Beginner

Okay I'll post as much as I know, cause I've been a huge Johns fan since Frogstomp lol..

Daniel's always had social problems and depression issues but they got really bad back in the late 90s when he became anorexic due to his depression and paranoia that people were constantly controlling him and trying to kill him, he started to freak out thinking that people were poisoning his food and it became an obsession - hence him becoming anorexic. He apparently overcame this by the time Neon Ballroom was released because he started to get better. He went vegetarian when he was I believe 16 or 17 because of his sympathy for animals and went full blown vegan by the time he was 17. He's a representative for PETA and ARRG and has Animal Liberation tattooed on his ankle, he also supports the ALF.

Daniel was a huge inspiration to me as a vegetarian teen, I didn't even know what veganism was until I heard about it through the Silverchair website andI've been vegan ever since Innnn 2001..or 2002... well shortly after Diorama was finished he was diagnosed with severe reactive arthritis and I know in an interview he said he was told to eat animal protein to help his body recover but he wanted to avoid it. I know in 2003 he did a video for PETA about KFC Cruelty (it's on YouTube) and he has done a few endorsements for animal rights since then but I hadn't heard as much about him being vegan for awhile so I was questioning it.

So I read the other day on a message board that someone met him and asked him if he was still vegan and he said no because he was eating fish now, but his family is vegetarian and his brother is vegan. I contacted the people that run the Daniel Johns and Paul Mac myspace to see if they knew if that was true and they said they had heard the same thing as well.

I HOPE that it's just a rumor because he was an inspiration to his vegan fans and we definitely need more vegan rockers out there, it's almost impossible to find any info out on it unless he comes out and says it on an interview or something... which I haven't seen. Probably not something he's proud of, if he is eating fish now. They still have a PETA banner on their website so.. atleast he's not completely out of it.

I joined the Silverchair fanclub awhile ago... people on their boards aren't very concerned, it seems most of them are omnis so...

P.S. I'm out of the loop, did we terminate the "lacto-ovo", etc different labels for vegetarians? I was under the impression that "vegetarians" just didn't eat red or white meat. It's much easier for me to stick to vegan and cut everything alltogether.

P.P.S. Don't take anything that I say for fact, just posted whatever I remember from various interviews, etc. I may not remember everything 100%. LOL

P.P.P.S. Maybe he just needs me to come down there and take care of him, I'll cook him some good vegan meals, it'll be good times. ROFL jk.. ok.. back to work.
#16 Old 05-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissy View Post

because he was anorexic.

Oooo....I didn't realize.
#17 Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Banned

He doesn't eat properly. He admits to having been anorexic

But I humbly ask again for a link to the resource which tells you this?

If this is the case, I wish to update the Wikipedia list of vegans which still lists him as a vegan.

I have scoured the internet and have found no article or interview in which he says he is no longer vegan. There are even some recent interviews--like within the past two weeks--where he is comfortably talking about being vegan.
#18 Old 05-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkochanowicz View Post

He doesn't eat properly. He admits to having been anorexic

But I humbly ask again for a link to the resource which tells you this?

If this is the case, I wish to update the Wikipedia list of vegans which still lists him as a vegan.

I have scoured the internet and have found no article or interview in which he says he is no longer vegan. There are even some recent interviews--like within the past two weeks--where he is comfortably talking about being vegan.

Where did you find the latest articles with him talking about being vegan?

My info is mostly from the fans on the chairpage fanclub forum. Seems to be a popular rumor and noone has disproved it. As mentioned before, nothing I said is fact. I HOPE he's still vegan that would make my day

I'd love to read the recent interviews.
#19 Old 05-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybaritik View Post

Oooo....I didn't realize.

no problem like the song "Ana's Song (Open Fire)" is about his struggles. I probably wouldn't know either if I wasn't eating disordered myself, I find it on ED support websites.
#20 Old 05-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
According to the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, there is no scientific evidence that any specific food or nutrient, with the exception of essential fatty acids, helps or harms most people with rheumatoid arthritis. They recommend an overall nutritious diet and emphasize adequate intake of calories, protein, and calcium. A non-copyrighted handout can be downloaded from //www.nih.gov/niams/healthinfo/rahandout/. The Arthritis Foundation recommends the following diet guidelines

http://www.vegetarian-nutrition.info..._arthritis.htm

Linoleic Acid (Omega 6 family)

Vegetables

Fruits

Nuts

Grains

Seeds

Alpha-Linolenic Acid (Omega 3 family)

(Please note - fish is not the only source of omega 3 acids. Flaxseed oil contains twice as much as is found in fish oil!).

Flaxseeds (linseeds)

Mustard seeds

Pumpkin seeds

Soya bean

Walnut oil

Green leafy vegetables

Grains

Spirulina

So he needs fish why? if its true sounds like an excuse to me.
#21 Old 05-08-2008, 01:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Never heard of him... I've heard of the band, but i couldn't name a single one of their songs....

*shrug*

Nec Aspera Terrent
#22 Old 05-08-2008, 01:27 AM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

Well I just found out that my favorite vegan isn't vegan anymore Although I believe he's still vegetarian, the rumor is that Daniel Johns from Silverchair now eats fish, something having to do with his reactive arthritis. I do understand for health reasons, although I'm hoping that he is still an advocate for animal rights and I hope he doesn't eat meat or dairy. The PETA link is still on their website, so hopefully he's still in the fight!

Oh well I'd still marry him. LOL

At least, as far as I know, he doesn't have an air conditioned apartment full of fur coats! (And he is Australian!)
#23 Old 05-08-2008, 01:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

(And he is Australian!)

I knew there was something I didnt like about him.
#24 Old 05-08-2008, 03:00 AM

guinness!! hahahaha what? you didnt like that hes australian? LOL
#25 Old 05-08-2008, 03:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwalkersgirl View Post

guinness!! hahahaha what? you didnt like that hes australian? LOL

its more a shot a Bof than anything else lol.
#26 Old 05-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Beginner

I loves him.

#27 Old 05-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Banned

^^^^ is that Bof
#28 Old 05-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Bof
Banned

What's goin' on? Pick on Bof week?
#29 Old 05-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

Never heard of him... I've heard of the band, but i couldn't name a single one of their songs....

*shrug*

same here.
#30 Old 05-08-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:

P.S. I'm out of the loop, did we terminate the "lacto-ovo", etc different labels for vegetarians? I was under the impression that "vegetarians" just didn't eat red or white meat. It's much easier for me to stick to vegan and cut everything alltogether.

Fish is meat, vegetarians don't eat any meat. (any dead bodies)

L/O vegetarians eat dairy/eggs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page