Lyrics and Music Videos - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-07-2003, 03:57 AM
Veggie Regular

No really, this thread is a brand new idea!

It bothers me that most lyrics and music videos make no sense!

Sometimes lyrics are kind of loose and I guess you could argue that that way people can make the song mean whatever they want for themself, but I'd rather a song have a story, that's clear, and written out, or even, I don't care, just good poetry. But sometimes, I'll read the lyrics to a song and it just doesn't make any sense at all, even if I wanted to give it a meaning to apply to myself, I can't, because I can't even tell what it's about.

And music videos - what is up with them? They never make sense. I think it'd be safe to say that half of the music videos don't even correspond with the lyrics. Perhaps they filmed the video before the song was made?

Am I just a fuddy duddy, or is there anyone else out there who'd rather things made a bit more sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Jon
Veggie Regular

To be honest I think you are in a minority here, but not because people prefer nonsense lyrics, but I actually think that the majority of people don't actually listen to them. This of course will have exceptions, there are many artists who's fans obssess about the lyrics and find great reward in pulling them apart to find what it all really means. Most of this music rarely troubles the charts (at least in the UK), and club tracks generally use the vocals just accentuate rather than actively contribute.

In the mainstream people don't listen, especially if they've been given a misleading video, or sing along chorus.

As an example there was a song not so long ago, that told the story of of a small town loser who had always got the rough end of life. In trouble with the police, he got sent abroad, where he killed, and watched his friends die around him. Returning home to no job and no prospects he ended up between jail and doing hard manual labour.

All in all, a jolly sort of tale. Was this Leonard Cohen on a rare happy day? Or the sort of song that would have millions singing it in misguided national pride?

You decide - http://www.lyricsdomain.com/lyrics/4642/

I sympathise with your point Mikie, but mainstream music lyrics have really never made any sense. I'm not really a fan of the videos either, often once you've seen them you can't think of the song in any other way.

When Michael Stipe was writing REM's lyrics in the early 80's he just put together collections of words he liked, they weren't meant to make any sense. Elizabeth Frazer of the Scottish band The Cocteau Twins didn't even sign words for the first few of their albums, she just use her voice as another instrument.

Do you have any example songs/videos you hate?
#3 Old 10-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post

Do you have any example songs/videos you hate?

Funny you ask that because I was trying to think of examples last night when I wrote that and I couldn't think of any in particular that stood out to me. I think it's not because of a lack of examples, but more because of the overabundance of examples.

This is a song that comes to mind when I think of good lyrics. I like this song because it's pretty witty.
Quote:
Christians and the Pagans, by Dar Williams:

Amber called her uncle, said We're up here for the holiday,

Jane and I were having Solstice, now we need a place to stay.

And her Christ - loving uncle watched his wife hang Mary on a tree,

He watched his song hang candy canes all made with red dye number three.

He told his niece, Its Christmas Eve, I know our life is not your style,

She said, Christmas is like Solstice, and we miss you and its been awhile,

So the Christians and the Pagans sat together at the table,

Finding faith and common ground the best that they were able,

And just before the meal was served, hands were held and prayers were said,

Sending hope for peace on earth to all their gods and goddesses.

The food was great, the tree plugged in, the meal had gone without a hitch,

Till Timmy turned to Amber and said, Is it try that youre a wtich?

His mom jumped up and said, The pies are burning, and she hit the kitchen,

And it was Jane who spoke, she said, Its true, your cousins not a Christian,

But we love trees, we love the snow, the friends we have, the world we share,

And you find magic from your God, and we find magic everywhere,

And where does magic come from? I think magics in the learning,

Cause now when Christians sit with Pagans only pumpkin pies are burning.

When Amber tried to do the dishes, her aunt said, Really, no, dont bother.

Ambers uncle saw how Amber looked like Tim and like her father.

He thought about his brother, how they hadnt spoken in a year,

He thought hed call him up and say, Its Christmas and your daughters here.

He thought of fathers, sons and brothers, so his own son tug his sleeve, saying,

Can I be a Pagan? Dad said, Well discuss it when they leave.

Lighting trees in darkness, learning new ways from the old, and

Making sense of history and drawing warmth out of the cold.

I'm not saying every song should be so black and white, it just seems like most songs are put together in a couple minutes with a cheap beat. I'd like to see more talent!

Bad videos abound. Any that have story lines that have nothing to do with the lyrics are mostly all good examples. If there's no correspondance between the two, whether it be by story, or beat, or pictorials, then I think they should have spent some more time on making the video!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-08-2003, 04:32 PM

I don't watch MTV or any music television anymore, but I loved Tool's early videos which have nothing to do with the lyrics, except for the mood. Otherwise, I think much of the new popular music today just stinks and that is probably why the videos stink. Sure there are exceptions... Rasputina I've seen mentioned in a thread somewhere aroung here. I haven't seen any of their videos but I'm sure they'd be great as their music is. I think basically if you like the music you're more likely to enjoy the video regardless of its content, but if you don't like the music then you probably won't like the video. I could rant about music for hours so I'll stop here.

d7
#5 Old 10-08-2003, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
And music videos - what is up with them? They never make sense. I think it'd be safe to say that half of the music videos don't even correspond with the lyrics. Perhaps they filmed the video before the song was made?

I've noticed the same thing. There's very often some stupid idea like "let's put this singer driving an ice cream truck - we don't know why, since the song really is about forbidden love - but let's do it anyway".

Although sometimes it works: Daft Punk's video Da Funk makes no sense (featuring a dog in a man's clothes) but it fits with the music.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page