tv - house, md - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-15-2007, 04:38 PM

anyone a fan of this show here? i find it so witty - it really surpasses any other tv for me, to be honest. also, they have had a few vegan characters, and they have managed to not stereotype too much, presenting veganism in quite a positive light. hugh laurie's performance is incredible, too. apart from one episode which looked to be about someone conducting animal tests - i switched off - i think i've watched pretty much every episode..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Banned

great show, great storyline, great actors (even billy kennedy from neighbours is in it!!!) but i have really trouble with hearing hugh laurie speak with an american accent. it messes with my head on several levels every time he speaks.
#3 Old 07-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I love House! Hugh Laurie's character is so sarcastic and hysterical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

great show, great storyline, great actors (even billy kennedy from neighbours is in it!!!) but i have really trouble with hearing hugh laurie speak with an american accent. it messes with my head on several levels every time he speaks.

I don't watch House. I watched part of the pilot episode, and didn't much care for it, so I didn't stay with the show, and I figure at this point in the series, there's no point in my trying to catch up.

But about accents: I AM a big fan of Medium, which costars Jake Weber as the husband. I never heard of this actor before I started watching Medium, and was floored when I found out he's actually British. He does a very credible American accent, although if I listen really really hard, sometimes I can hear a teeny little British accent in his voice!

Okay, back to House now.

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 07-16-2007, 12:24 AM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

but i have really trouble with hearing hugh laurie speak with an american accent. it messes with my head on several levels every time he speaks.

I agree, especially when all I can remember is him, as Lieutenant The Honourable George Colthurst St Barleigh, saying: "I'm as excited as an excited person with a special reason to be excited!"

I haven't watched it, for the above reason and that I try to avoid commercial TV.
#6 Old 07-16-2007, 01:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I enjoy the show, and look forward to what they're gonna do with it next season, when they give him a bunch of new interns...

My only problem with it is the VERY predictable plotlines. They always start with mysterious, dramatic symptoms. House figures out what it is and administers the cure. The cure almost kills them, cuz they were wrong to begin with. Then they figure it out and save them.

Every single episode has followed this exact formula.

I also don't like that the chief of staff is a sexy female doctor that almost never does any doctoring, and is often portrayed as vain, narrow-minded, and stupid. Once in a great while, she is given the chance to do something doctor-like, but she's more often just used as a foil for House.

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE Hugh Laurie. I wasn't aware of him before this show, and I have since gotten to watch a lot of Jeeves and Wooster (on youtube) and I think he is simply brilliant!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#7 Old 07-16-2007, 05:20 AM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE Hugh Laurie. I wasn't aware of him before this show, and I have since gotten to watch a lot of Jeeves and Wooster (on youtube) and I think he is simply brilliant!

Try Blackadder. He's brilliant in that.
#8 Old 07-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

I enjoy the show, and look forward to what they're gonna do with it next season, when they give him a bunch of new interns...

My only problem with it is the VERY predictable plotlines. They always start with mysterious, dramatic symptoms. House figures out what it is and administers the cure. The cure almost kills them, cuz they were wrong to begin with. Then they figure it out and save them.

Every single episode has followed this exact formula.

I also don't like that the chief of staff is a sexy female doctor that almost never does any doctoring, and is often portrayed as vain, narrow-minded, and stupid. Once in a great while, she is given the chance to do something doctor-like, but she's more often just used as a foil for House.

Those are the only things I don't like about the show, too. The directors really need to vary it up a bit. It's starting to feel like MacGyversaving the world with duct tape and a pocket knife can only be interesting so many times.

I haven't sat down and watched every episode of the first few seasons of House, but I've seen most of Seasons One and Two. I really should see if I can get the DVDs from the library.

What I like best about Hugh Laurie's Dr. House is I'm never sure if I like him or hate him while begrudgingly admitting he's brilliant. He reminds me of a couple of people I know.

I read in a news magazine that medical dramas like House tend to overemphasize rare diseases. It makes for better TV if no one knows what it is, of course, but rare diseases are just thatrare. One hospital would not get all the instances of rare diseases in the world. But, as Dr. House hates doing "normal" doctor things like clinic work, we may never get to see him cure something frequently occuring.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#9 Old 07-17-2007, 02:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

but i have really trouble with hearing hugh laurie speak with an american accent. it messes with my head on several levels every time he speaks.

Hugh Laurie is so brilliant in that show that when I see him do an interview with his actual British accent, I would swear he's using a fake British accent!

Love the show. Kind of agree about the show having a pattern, but it doesn't really bother me. They throw enough twists in to keep things interesting. And actually, I think the clinic stuff is often the best, funniest part of the show!
#10 Old 07-17-2007, 08:19 AM
Banned

does anyone else play 'guess the exotic disease/illness' as the show runs? i love trying to work out whats wrong with the sick people! this is especially challenging for me, as all the vast majority of my medical knowledge comes from watching ER.
#11 Old 07-17-2007, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I LOVE House, they last episode left me going WTF though. I loved his staff I'm sad to see them go.

Does anyone else know that Dr. Cameron and Dr. Chase are getting married in real life? Chance and I were at the grocery store and we saw her in a wedding dress on the front cover of a wedding mag. Apparently they fell in love on the show and have been dating for three years.
#12 Old 07-18-2007, 12:19 PM

i guessed rabies in one episode, cos I'd read Their Eyes Were Watching God, so I knew the symptoms from Tea Cake's illness. But that's about it for my medical knowledge, so I've never diagnosed anything else. lovee this show!
#13 Old 10-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Bumping this thread!

Has anyone been watching the new season of House? What do you think of the new character, the Private Investigator? I think he is

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#14 Old 10-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

This thread has inspired me to watch the first episode of the new series online.

before i used to watch them the second they got uploaded, but ive been slack recently!
#15 Old 10-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I love House. I like his new PI, too. I think it's weird how they keep Cameron and Chase in it as these random peripheral people.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#16 Old 10-01-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I don't watch House. I watched part of the pilot episode, and didn't much care for it, so I didn't stay with the show, and I figure at this point in the series, there's no point in my trying to catch up.

But about accents: I AM a big fan of Medium, which costars Jake Weber as the husband. I never heard of this actor before I started watching Medium, and was floored when I found out he's actually British. He does a very credible American accent, although if I listen really really hard, sometimes I can hear a teeny little British accent in his voice!

Okay, back to House now.

I love House and by that I mean Hugh Laurie...he rocks soooo much and love his attitude on the show...his sarcasm is awesome...I like Wilson too...I liked the other team better....but Kal Penn is cool beans...the rest are just okay..but it is a great show.
#17 Old 10-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I absolutely adore House! I loved Hugh Laurie forever but he really is amazing in this. It's really well written as well, I'm always gripped by every episode. And, Cuddy is vegan in real life! Anyone know when the new season is coming to the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

No freakin' way!!! I love Medium & I had no idea that guy wasn't American that has to be the best fake accent ever!
#18 Old 10-03-2008, 02:33 PM

I can't believe that guy from Medium is from London! I love him in that show.

I have never watched House but it does seem quite good, but I cannot take his American accent seriously! I cannot separate Hugh Laurie from Blackadder. I have heard American girls say that they think that he is hot as well? Weird!
#19 Old 10-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, House is totally hot!! I never new Hugh Laurie before, so I thought he actually was American for the longest time! I looooove this show <3
#20 Old 10-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Beginner

Hugh Laurie is hotter than hot. He is my total desert island dude.

Going to put Blackadder on Netflix.

f
#21 Old 10-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I dont like the private eye dude at ALL. His character doesnt seem real. Not that any do in house in fact, but less real than everyone else.
#22 Old 10-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Beginner

I love House! It's pretty much the only show I watch. I schedule my life around this show. I have the first 3 seasons on DVD and whenever I have nothing to do I pick a random disk and watch an episode. The only I don't like is how much they cut Cameron out of season 4 and it looks like it will be the same for this season. That and now it's on at 8 instead of 9. But yeah, I pretty much love this show!
#23 Old 10-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah i sort of miss chase and cameron, though i do think it was time for them to go. i liked the appearance cameron made when she was talking to wilson about his loss. it showed a part of her character that i never saw when she was part of house's team.

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#24 Old 10-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

i watch it, though i didn't start until a couple months ago. so, i have a lot of catching up to do.
#25 Old 10-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I love House! I have all the seasons on DVD.

I especially loved what happened with Wilson in the episode this week (phrasing carefully here so I don't spoil anyone who DVRed it.) I was hoping that would happen
#26 Old 10-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I watched the first episode and hated the show on the spot. This a$$hole doctor just annoyed me!

Then, about a year ago, I was working on my microbiology homework and the TV was left on by my fiance. I was so enthralled in my homework (*cough* yeah right), but kept catching snippets of this show on TV. Eventually I realized I hadn't looked at my lab work in several hours... I had gotten hooked into a House marathon. Now I won't miss an episode. Love the show and House has definitely grown on me.
#27 Old 10-16-2008, 10:57 PM

I love Wilson and he rocked in this weeks eppy...I miss Chase and Cameron too...I want them back with the Kal Penn character and get rid of the rest.

the private investigator is just a generic Wilson and not a good one...There were some rumors he may get a spin off..
#28 Old 10-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Veggie Regular

mm chase is so much cuter now that he's learned how to tell people off.

I was surprised by the Wilson thing actually, but I liked it.

I read that the next episode involves Cuddy adopting a kid or something?? And another appearance by the PI guy...mmm he's such an adorable dork...i want him..in more episodes..yess

I don't like 13 aka Bubbles (hehe). I want her gone. The Kutner guy is funny. I want him to stick around. Taub is mildly interesting, so I'm indifferent to him.

possible spoiler for those who haven't seen latest episode

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
i loved the part where foreman went to chase and cameron to get opinions on the patient and between the three of them, they figured it out. just like old times! it was great! I didn't realize how much I missed the three of them.

#29 Old 04-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

BUMP!!!!!!!!!! Dude, did you guys/girls watch Monday's episode?
#30 Old 04-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I love Hugh Laurie. This is a cool show, one of the few TV shows I actually watch.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page