Movies You've Never Seen (that you are supposed to) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-28-2007, 01:10 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

I just got chewed out AGAIN for not having seen 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.' I hate movies that people tell me to see because it reminds them of me or I remind them of one of the charcters etc etc.

So I've avoided seeing many films for that reason, including:

Eternal Sunshine

A Beautiful Mind

Requim for A Dream

Girl, Interrupted

but I might see them. One day.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Eternal Sunshine is the best from the ones mentioned, go see it already

No one tells me to watch anything, but I think I should watch the Kill Bill movies. And Coffee & Cigarettes. And many others.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#3 Old 04-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't avoid films. But a lot that I just didn't grow up with but my friends did, and people just don't get a chance to GO AND SEE if they weren't alive when they came out, I just haven't seen. I get totally attacked for not having seen loads of films. The two most prominent ones are:

most of the Star Wars films.

Dirty Dancing

(*cringes before somebody hurts me* )

although I also haven't seen 4 of your 5 (I have seen Eternal Sunshine).

(PSST...Kenicke, did you get told you were like Clementine, too? Someone said that to me )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-28-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

(PSST...Kenicke, did you get told you were like Clementine, too? Someone said that to me )

yeah. and that ruined that one because i'd like to kick Kate Winslet.

I haven't seen most of the Star Wars either. I think I saw 'Return of the Jedi' or whatever the one had Darth Maul...and then one of the old ones. But that's it, its definitly not something I enjoy.

Oh. and Borat.

I really wanted to see it and then I heard my friends talk about it...I figured it's better not to.

Same with saying that I hate Korn and Slipknot but have never consciously listened to them. But I'd rather not even pollute my pretty little head with that.

#5 Old 04-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I still haven't gotten around to seeing the second POTC movie. Shame on me!

My sister keeps telling me to see Sliding Doors. Still haven't done that yet.

And I love Netflix because it lets me play catch up on older movies. One of the first movies I rented when I signed up was On the Waterfront. And I have Waiting for Guffman in my queue currently.

Movies I recommend to others that fall into that "you're supposed to see it category":

The Princess Bride. If you haven't seen, it, get your rear in gear and rent it.

That said, I've noticed every time I go surfing around at IMDb that movies elicit different reactions from different people. What some people will enjoy greatly will bore others silly. For example, my sister LOVES "Grease", but I don't care for it at all. OTOH, it took a second (and more complete) viewing, at my sister's urging, for me to truly appreciate The Shawshank Redemption. So The Shawshank Redemption is next on my list. (see below)

The Shawshank Redemption

The Good Girl

I've never been a fan of "Friends", so I didn't really pay much attention to Jennifer Aniston's film career. Until she starred in The Good Girl. I REALLY like that movie.

I also recommend movies like Norma Rae and Silkwood that have interesting social messages, and good performances.

*this space not for sale*
#6 Old 04-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

so far this thread has reminded me that I haven't seen

POTC (I haven't seen 1 all the way through in one go, but I have seen all of it in bits. I haven't seen 2 at all.)

Borat

oh, and a lot of the other films mentioned I haven't even HEARD of
#7 Old 04-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Borat is another one I'm "supposed" to see.

*this space not for sale*
#8 Old 04-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I've never been a fan of "Friends", so I didn't really pay much attention to Jennifer Aniston's film career. Until she starred in The Good Girl. I REALLY like that movie.

Yeah the Good Girl is excellent.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#9 Old 04-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I have friends who keep lists of movies they think I should see. It gets old.

Eternal Sunshine

Requiem for a Dream

Amazing Grace

Star Wars III. Sorry, Episodes I and II were so bad I haven't been able to bring myself to watch III.

Pan's Labyrinth

Amelie

The Shawshank Redemption

Schindler's List

Any and all Bond movies

Any Indiana Jones movies (Except for the tomb raiding one. Thought it was lame.)

American Beauty

American Pie (any of them)

Just about any zombie movie (I saw Shaun of the Dead, though.)

Lord of the Rings II and III. I didn't like 1. Why would the rest improve?

Jesus Camp

[Edited on 6-19-07 to say I have now seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Amelie, The Shawshank Redemption, and Schindler's List.]

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#10 Old 04-28-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

I have friends who keep lists of movies they think I should see. It gets old.

Eternal Sunshine

Requiem for a Dream

Amazing Grace

Star Wars III. Sorry, Episodes I and II were so bad I haven't been able to bring myself to watch III.

Pan's Labyrinth

Amelie

The Shawshank Redemption

Schindler's List

Any and all Bond movies

Any Indiana Jones movies (Except for the tomb raiding one. Thought it was lame.)

American Beauty

American Pie (any of them)

Just about any zombie movie (I saw Shaun of the Dead, though.)

Lord of the Rings II and III. I didn't like 1. Why would the rest improve?

Jesus Camp

I haven't seen alot of those either, but Amelie is like hot coco on a cold day.

I haven't seen The Princess Bride. probably never will.

#11 Old 04-28-2007, 03:42 PM

Kenickie....from the fragment of you we see here on VB, I think you'd actually like ESOTSM. Kate Winslet is fine in the film, but the "supporting" characters steal the show imo, Mark Ruffalo, Tom Wilkinson, and most especially Kirsten Dunst.

and skylark...well, I will send you a copy of The Shawshank Redemption. It is my firm belief that all lovers of film should see this one. It is simply divine. There are 3-4 movies that continually battle for my #1 slot, this is one of them. Morgan Freeman can really act in some crap, but this is wonderful, blissful, all that a movie should be. (Are you getting the idea that I enjoyed it?)

Jesus Camp was interesting to me in that it did a good job of showing the campers (although not all of the staff) to be fairly normal, average Americans. It also offered a Christian point of view differing from that of the main characters', serving as a nice reminder that not all religious people are zealots. Additionally, it was interesting as a documentary because there was no voiceover/commentary...very unusual.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#12 Old 04-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh my. I have just about all of the movies mentioned so far, I think.

-gears up for a vb movie marathon at my house-

Ok. I can't really think of any movies except for:

Evil Dead II

Army of Darkness

A Clockwork Orange

An Inconvenient Truth

Peaceable Kingdom

Most of those are on my rental list.

---

The Shawshank Redemption is a completely wonderful film. I love, love, love that movie.

««LOTR dork

««Eternal Sunshine dork
#13 Old 04-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Lord of the Rings: All three movies

Everyone tells me I should see these movies. Part of the reason I haven't is out of sheer stubborness.
#14 Old 04-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Pulp Fiction

Full Metal Jacket

Reservoir Dogs

The Godfather

Scarface
#15 Old 04-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcuffedAngel View Post

Pulp Fiction

Yeah, don't bother.

Unless you've got some kind of profanity quota you have to fill.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#16 Old 04-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcuffedAngel View Post

Pulp fiction

Yeah, don't bother.

Unless you've got some kind of profanity quota you have to fill.

I disagree. If you don't mind a bit of (rather obviously fake) gore, it's excellent.

People usually find it unthinkable that I haven't seen some seminal/classic films such as:

The Godfather

A Clockwork Orange

The Shining

The Stand

Night of the Living Dead

This Is Spinal Tap

#17 Old 04-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, I will add This Is Spinal Tap to my list, too. I remember that I had rented it but the copy I had didn't have closed captioning or subtitles.
#18 Old 04-29-2007, 04:17 AM

to Spinal Tap. Funny as hell (which really isn't that funny, I suppose, but then that's another thread )

I read the other day that the "band" is going to reuinted for the Live Earth concert in London this summer.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#19 Old 04-29-2007, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Borat is another one I'm "supposed" to see.

Come join the club of "I refuse to watch borat ever, ever and would rather gouge my eyes out than see it"

Eeerrrrrr

Ive always watched a lot of films, and last year there was a blockbuster at the end of my road so its hard thinking of anything!

-Requiem for a dream

-Pi ^ same guy isnt it? keep being recommended it

-Hellraiser (meant to be a horror buff and aint seen it yet, dispicable)

-I havent seen the "2nd" (err the one about clones, second? fifth? who knows any more!) star wars and dont really care

-All the david lynch films, i have lost highway on my hard drive but cant be arsed with it.

-OOoh godfather part II. the first one almost killed me to sit though so the 'greatest sequel ever' or whatever can wait hehe

-Another one who hasnt seen spinal tap

If its allowed (cant remember the rules on piracy here, but the sites are completely legal - only hosting the material isnt and they just link it) I can post a few links to where people can stream most of these movies mentioned. whoever invented streaming is a goddddd, sharing internet connections and bittorrent dont go.
#20 Old 04-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Come join the club of "I refuse to watch borat ever, ever and would rather gouge my eyes out than see it".

Lol! I want to join this club too. I never understood why Borat gained the publicity it did.
#21 Old 04-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Come join the club of "I refuse to watch borat ever, ever and would rather gouge my eyes out than see it"

Joined. Everyone prepare to order up your "We Refuse Borat" pins.
#22 Old 04-29-2007, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I've been meaning to start this thread for ages....

I have a TON of movies that I've never seen and people are always like... "YOU haven't seen insert classic weird/trippy/retro/atrsy/hip movie here ?????? "

The list incldes (but is not limited to)

Pulp Fiction

Fight Club

TRON

Eternal Sunshine

POTC 2

Harry Potter 2 and up

Spinal Tap

Guffman

Dogma

Clerks 1 $ 2 (I keep getting told I look like Dante)

Army of Darkness

Star Wars 3

Requiem for a Dream

Girl, Interrupted

I was recently made to stop and watch American Beauty and I loved it! It's not like I've deliberately missed thise movies... I even tried to watch Pulp Fiction TWICE, but fell asleep both times.... (timing is everything...)

Nec Aspera Terrent
#23 Old 04-29-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

I have a TON of movies that I've never seen and people are always like... "YOU haven't seen insert classic weird/trippy/retro/atrsy/hip movie here ?????? "

Ditto. And it's getting annoying to hear it over and over again. (I'm not big on movies.)

People tell me I'm crazy for never seeing:

Office Space

Star Wars (none)

Lord of the Rings (none)

The Princess Bride

The Green Mile

The Godfather

The Shawshank Redemption

American Beauty

It's a Wonderful Life

A Christmas Story

Pulp Fiction

Fight Club

Hotel Rwanda

Shrek

Gone with the Wind

Rain Man

I've only seen 6 movies on this list.
#24 Old 04-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

Office Space

Star Wars (none)

Lord of the Rings (none)

The Princess Bride

The Green Mile

The Godfather

The Shawshank Redemption

American Beauty

It's a Wonderful Life

A Christmas Story

Pulp Fiction

Fight Club

Hotel Rwanda

Shrek

Gone with the Wind

Rain Man

Most of those are pretty forgettable (though I haven't seen 'em all). I would see Pulp Fiction and the Godfather (depending on if you want to see the horse head), possibly Shawshank Redemption.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#25 Old 04-29-2007, 03:42 PM

whoa to those who havent seen Pulp Fiction/Resevior Dogs. Dogs is one of my favourite movies. Soundtracks to both of them are fantastic (and happily in my collection!)

& The Shining? wtf?

Fight Club is a love or hate. I'm pretty neutral about it though, I still haven't read (because i can't find?) the book.

#26 Old 04-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I think Fight Club is overrated. I actually prefer Se7en: what it lacks in social commentary and technique (compared to FC) it makes up for with the mood.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#27 Old 04-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Most of those are pretty forgettable (though I haven't seen 'em all). I would see Pulp Fiction and the Godfather (depending on if you want to see the horse head), possibly Shawshank Redemption.

says you!
#28 Old 04-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I dated a guy who was obsessed with Fight Club. He forced me to see it and I hated it like nothing ever before.

So I have to agree with Jasmine that it's a very love or hate movie for most people.
#29 Old 04-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

I've only seen 6 movies on this list.

Ha, I've seen 40 of them.

I love movies. Sometimes I might express surprise when I find out that someone hasn't seen a certain movie. Usually it's just because it's a movie, like Star Wars or It's a Wonderful Life, that seems hard to avoid. I mean how can you manage not to see some of these movies? I don't think people have to see them, it's just interesting when they haven't.

Anyway I have only seen the third Harry Potter movie, because it's the only one that looked any good. I did actually really like it, but I'm still not going to watch the other ones, and I'm certainly not going to read the books, although people keep telling me I should. I'm not reading The Da Vinci Code either, by the way.

As far as all the other movies that have been mentioned, some of them I love, like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and some of them I think are utter crap, like The Shining. Everyone has their own tastes.
#30 Old 04-29-2007, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obladiblada View Post

Ha, I've seen 40 of them.

I love movies. Sometimes I might express surprise when I find out that someone hasn't seen a certain movie. Usually it's just because it's a movie, like Star Wars or It's a Wonderful Life, that seems hard to avoid. I mean how can you manage not to see some of these movies? I don't think people have to see them, it's just interesting when they haven't.

Anyway I have only seen the third Harry Potter movie, because it's the only one that looked any good. I did actually really like it, but I'm still not going to watch the other ones, and I'm certainly not going to read the books, although people keep telling me I should. I'm not reading The Da Vinci Code either, by the way.

As far as all the other movies that have been mentioned, some of them I love, like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and some of them I think are utter crap, like The Shining. Everyone has there own tastes.

I've seen 36 of them.

A note: there's a reason (most of the time) when people say "you should see that movie!!"

And that's because the movie just might be a really good movie!!!

Granted, there are some (Forrest Gump for example) that everyone ranted and raved about and I hated, but I'm generally willing to take a chance. You never know, you might end up finding something you really like.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page