Movies You've Never Seen (that you are supposed to) - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 05-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

The Godfathers

The Wizard of Oz I tell people I haven't see this and they look at me like I've just grown another head. I've never seen it and I don't have a problem with that. I don't really want to see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 05-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

The Wizard Of Oz is allright. It was pretty cool as far as being a movie with color, given its time period (expensive!).
#63 Old 05-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymps View Post

The Wizard of Oz I tell people I haven't see this and they look at me like I've just grown another head. I've never seen it and I don't have a problem with that. I don't really want to see it.

You know, this may be one of those movies that unless you saw it as a child and liked it, you're unlikely to as an adult. The Chronicles of Narnia, both the books and the movies, are another good example. I've heard some first-timer adults say Narnia is completely random and contrived. I loved it dearly as a child and still do. I'm probably tapping into my inner child when I watch or read it.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 05-02-2007, 02:47 AM

Narnia random and contrived? Pah!

I remember watching the AFI show back a few years ago, but never counted how many I'd seen, although I knew it was a fair number. Looking now at the list, I realize that there are only 7 that I've failed to view:

Quote:
Sunset Boulevard

Midnight Cowboy

The Third Man

Network

The Wild Bunch

Mutiny on the Bounty

The Searchers

That said, there are several on the AFI's list that I would consider to be less than stellar and a couple *cough*GoneWiththeWind*cough* that are just plain horrid.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#65 Old 05-02-2007, 07:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I never understood why "Gone with the Wind" is so popular, but I think the same thing about the opera "Carmen."

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#66 Old 05-02-2007, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymps View Post

The Wizard of Oz I tell people I haven't see this and they look at me like I've just grown another head.

That was about the reaction I got when many years ago, I met some American travellers in Austria. They apparently were heading to Salzburg because of a movie called The Sound of Music, which Id never seen or even heard of. I can still remember them exclaiming this was impossible, everybody had seen that movie, how could I not have seen it, and then how come I had already been to Salzburg, if I had never seen The Sound of Music (I mainly remember the occasion because this logic seemed strange to me), etc.

Many years later, I saw it was on TV, and I really tried to watch it to close this gap in my education, but I miserably failed after a while and Im just fine with never having seen the complete movie

Another movie that everybody seems to have seen, except me, is Bambi.
#67 Old 05-02-2007, 07:57 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I remember watching the AFI show back a few years ago, but never counted how many I'd seen, although I knew it was a fair number. Looking now at the list, I realize that there are only 7 that I've failed to view:

Holy Crap and you are missing out on the best ones on that list! Midnight Cowboy..mmm..NETWORK is fantastic I don't care who you are.

And no, the boobage in A Clockwork Orange is definitly not too much, have you read the book? Totally different than the book imo...well atleast the ending. And they made Alex seem so much older in the movie when he's really only 15.

I hated The Departed & Boondock Saints. Maybe because everytime it gets brought up someone has to recite that ENTIRE effin speech? and The Departed could have done better if it wasn't the same length as Titanic.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#68 Old 05-06-2007, 02:06 PM

I only saw 5 on that list... I don't have the attention span for movies, really...
#69 Old 05-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to see Run Lola Run and Schindler's List. I also want to see lots of films involving Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly, because I don't think I've seen any in their entirety but I've enjoyed every clip I could find. People keep telling me to see American Beauty and Fight Club but I don't know what they're about and haven't started caring yet.

I started watching Rocky, The Godfather, The Shining, City of Angels, and several more at the insistence of others but failed to remain seated. I was also lured into a theater showing There's Something About Mary by multiple rave reviews from "friends" and I'm still traumatized and angry having sat through almost the entire thing.
#70 Old 05-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I have to agree with Kenickie about Midnight Cowboy. EXCELLENT film!!

And for those of you who have been dissing Gone With the Wind...

AND, Sound of Music is one of the most wonderful movies EVER!!!!!!!! I watch it every time it comes on television. I heart Julie Andrews....

Which reminds me, I need to watch Victor Victoria again soon...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#71 Old 05-12-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerks View Post

I have to see Run Lola Run and Schindler's List. I also want to see lots of films involving Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly, because I don't think I've seen any in their entirety but I've enjoyed every clip I could find. People keep telling me to see American Beauty and Fight Club but I don't know what they're about and haven't started caring yet.

I have yet to be able to sit through American Beauty, despite many people telling me it's an 'american classic'. Some of my friends consider Fight Club to be the Citizen Kane of my generation.

and you know what?

I agree.

#72 Old 05-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, I haven't seen Fight Club either...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#73 Old 05-12-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

i think you can youtube the most important parts. well. i don't know. if you do that it might not make any sense.

see it when (and if) it shows up on tv.

although you won't get to see brad pitts junk that way.

#74 Old 05-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

meh. I've seen pictures...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#75 Old 05-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

The Shawshank Redemption

Schindler's List

*is trying very hard not to type OMGICANTBELIEVEYOUHAVENTSEENTHOSE!!1!*

Anyhow, I mostly get told off for not having seen any of the Kill Bill films. But I don't like Tarantino or Uma Thurman, so I really can't see any good reason for why I should.

That's about the only one really, because I'm normally the film nut accusing people of film blasphemy.
#76 Old 05-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Shantih, never fear, I have just confirmed that my local public library has both of those movies on DVD, so I will soon check them out and watch them.

#77 Old 05-14-2007, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never seen Caddyshack. But I'm going to soon.
#78 Old 05-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

I have yet to be able to sit through American Beauty, despite many people telling me it's an 'american classic'. Some of my friends consider Fight Club to be the Citizen Kane of my generation.

and you know what?

I agree.

Haha I consider Citizen Kane the Citizen Kane of my generation.

I saw Chinatown, I mean "Jack Nicholson With Hair!". I don't know what I think about it.
#79 Old 05-15-2007, 02:51 PM

I've never seen Schindler's List either.

but i dont want to.

why should i be depressed to death when movies are supposed to entertain me?

#80 Old 05-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've never seen Schindler's List either.

but i dont want to.

why should i be depressed to death when movies are supposed to entertain me?

To some people, "entertainment" means "diversion." To others, it's enjoyable to watch movies that ask interesting questions or raise issues they might not have considered. Some movies accomplish both: After some of my friends and I went to see "Deja Vu," we spent almost an hour talking about theological issues that the time travel in the movie raised in our minds. And I gotta tell ya, "Deja Vu" is one fun, thrilling movie to watch.

#81 Old 05-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

read the book.

<--- liked the book better.
#82 Old 05-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I've yet to see...

any of the Godfather movies

any of the Star Wars movies

any Akira Kurowasa (sp?) movies (ex. The Seven Samurai)

any Francois Truffaut (sp?) (ex. 400 blows)

Pi, Apocolypse Now, Rear Window.

that's all I can think of and Ry had to help me. we're both movie buffs so our have to see list isn't too long.

oh and ~Brandon still needs to see Plane Dead
#83 Old 05-16-2007, 05:25 AM

Oh oh oh! Rear Window is so most excellent!

<<channels a bit of Bill and Ted

Based on this thread, we need to have a VB meetup just to sit down and watch us some movies!

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#84 Old 05-16-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottsMom View Post

I

any Akira Kurowasa (sp?) movies (ex. The Seven Samurai)

any Francois Truffaut (sp?) (ex. 400 blows)

Pi, Apocolypse Now, Rear Window.

that's all I can think of and Ry had to help me. we're both movie buffs so our have to see list isn't too long.

never seen any of those either. i JUST saw bill & ted a couple weeks ago.

#85 Old 05-16-2007, 03:33 PM

Apocalypse Now is good if you're in a mood where you want to watch something horribly painful and sad that makes you want to sit and cry for a long while.

#86 Old 05-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

saw Raging Bull the other night...I just didn't get it. so sloooooooow. It must have lost something in time.
#87 Old 05-17-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Apocalypse Now is good if you're in a mood where you want to watch something horribly painful and sad that makes you want to sit and cry for a long while.

hell no! movies are supposed to entertain me, not send me to my therapist.

#88 Old 05-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't seen Dead Poet's Society.

...yet.
#89 Old 05-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

hell no! movies are supposed to entertain me, not send me to my therapist.

don't watch Requiem for a Dream then
#90 Old 05-18-2007, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottsMom View Post

don't watch Requiem for a Dream then

already saw it. thought it was stupid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page