Icelandic Music - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-21-2003, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

i know that there are a good amount of you who are bjork or sigur ros fans, but are there any fans of other icelandic music: emliana torrini, quarashi, hljomar, eberg, hilmar orn hilmarsson, gus gus, the sugarcubes, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-22-2003, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Could you describe some of your favorites, what kind of music they play?
#3 Old 08-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

ok,

bjork: kind of like orchestral electronica

sigur ros: ambient orchestral

hljomar: 50's pop (like the beatles)

mum: ambient/avant-garde

sofandi: emo rock

emliana torrini: ambient pop

eberg: emo pop

hilmar orn hilmarsson: classical (he's also a producer)

gus gus: sugar rock

the sugarcubes: sugar rock

if any one is interested i can make tapes or CD's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-23-2003, 12:25 AM
Beginner

I saw this really crazy band from Iceland on a show on PBS.. Their name was something like Apparat (sp??) Organ Quartet. I really liked them, but can't seem to find anything by them. And I really want some of their musics on CD to listen to at work... Have you heard of them?
#5 Old 08-23-2003, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

The next Icelandic superstars? Years in the making, Apparat Organ Quartet's debut is absolutely stunning: Original music, that might perhaps be placed somewhere between vintage Kraftwerk, Ennio Moricone and Stereolab. Four kbd-players that have been long on the scene – Johann of LHOOQ, Hordur of Hr.INgi.R, Musikvatur and Ulfur of Kanada + the drummer from HAM cook up the album of your dreams. Wowie!

Thats the official word on AOQ...I can make you a tape I have their debut album. Its AWESOME!!
#6 Old 08-25-2003, 03:54 PM
Jon
Veggie Regular

So how come the specific interest in Icelandic music Kerouac? Did you just drift into it?

Been a big fan of The Sugarcubes, since I first heard Birthday or maybe Deus from Life's Too Good in about 1985. I really missed some of their zany style when Björk went solo. I can't claim to be a big fan of some of her early solo material, she needed to be successful to appeal to a wider audience, but personally I think her music works best when its agonisingly personal. I hated Verpertine when it first came out (or at least the idea of it, I couldn't bring myself to listen to it and I have no idea why), it is of course now my favourite of her albums and she appears to reached a level where the record company give her complete creative freedom. Fantastic stuff. She has such a great voice, on one of the versions of Anchor Song on the recent spate of live DVD's (might be Cambridge), she hits a note of such purity that it always leaves me stunned. I just love to think that Björk would be making music even if sahe didn't have a record contract. She'd shut herself away,a nd become a total geek, recording the sound of waves, train tracks, etc etc and making fantastic music.

Emliana Torrini, yes, she's great, got the first album and still waiting for the follow up. What was the film she recently did the title song for??
#7 Old 10-11-2003, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

ok all you could-be icelandic music fans!

go to www.tonlist.is or www.tonlist.com for all or atleast most of your icelandic music needs!!

to use tonlist, you do need a credit card but it's worth it!!!
#8 Old 10-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

and ninypants I do have a CD for you, I just have to mail it off!!
#9 Old 10-14-2003, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I like the album Hilmar Ãrn Hilmarsson did with Sigur Rós.

Múm, I'd probably like them more if I listened to them more often, but they don't really keep my interest. I think I'll give the disc I have of theirs a few spins tonight to soak them in some more.

I like MÃ*nus. I'm curious to see what they do on the next album, after their change of direction on this newest one.

Out of the several groups Björk sang in before her solo career I like KUKL the best. They were a sort of jazzy post-punk type band. I think there's a few songs I like by The Sugarcubes, but they never really interested me enough to buy one of their albums.

Iceland has an interesting music scene in general, so I'd really like to hear more bands from there.
#10 Old 10-14-2003, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I like the Sugarcubes! and Bjork of course!
#11 Old 10-14-2003, 02:53 PM

im not positive, but im pretty sure the band kent is from iceland, and they are super!
#12 Old 10-15-2003, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I did some research and found that the band kent is not from iceland but i believe somewhere else in scandinavia

do you have any of their albums?
#13 Old 10-15-2003, 08:00 PM

yes, but im a crappy fan and i lost the cd case and forgot what its called. it is grey, and i understand that it is their only english release.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page