VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   The Entertainment Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/18-entertainment-forum/)
-   -   VB Movie Lounge (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/18-entertainment-forum/61901-vbulletin-movie-lounge.html)

IamJen 10-23-2006 03:34 AM

So another VBer and I were talking recently about how we're surprised that there's no movie thread comparable to the "What We're Reading" thread. Tess started one about good flicks awhile back, but I want to hear about the stinkers too.

So, dish..what have you been watching lately? (DVD/video films are okay too)

If you're discussing specifics, be sure to use spoiler tags!

argh..I so wanted to call this thread "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Movie Thread", but alas vBulletin doesn't like that title.

snownose 10-23-2006 03:52 AM

Great idea!

I watched Donnie Darko, which was a good movie but very hard to understand!

*Spoiler*

I'm not sure if this is a spoiler, but just in case...

It was one of those time travel paradoxes with some other universe or something. I tried reading up on it on IMDB but it didn't help much!

CountessKerouac 10-23-2006 12:13 PM

I can't wait to see "Running with Scissors" on Friday!!! I <3 Augusten Burroughs.

vggiegirl 10-23-2006 12:15 PM

I just started reading the book!

Hmmm I've unfortunately been watching a sick amount of Lifetime movies lol.

But yesterday I watched End of Days and Charlie's Angels.

Sevenseas 10-23-2006 12:41 PM

Somewhat recently, I watched Silent Hill. Too game-like. Poor acting. A couple of scary scenes.

Indian Summer 10-23-2006 01:01 PM

Okay, we saw three movies this weekend. Jen and I chose one movie each, and then we picked one together.

First we watched Bad Taste: A truly classic splatter movie set in beautiful surroundings on New Zealand, directed by legendary Peter Jackson (who also plays a couple of the characters).

Then we watched The Lake House. It was about a woman and a guy and a dog and this magic mail box that could Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
transport stuff between 2004 and 2006. So, this sounds a little interesting, right, with the science fiction theme and everything. Biiig disappointment. You'd think they would want to investigate further the time-transporting properties of this mail box, but nooo... The morons uses it to send sappy messages to eachother, completely ignoring for example the obvious "Quick! Tell me the winning numbers of the lottery!!!" approach.

And then we watched Mission to Mars which sucked a whole lot.

Skylark 10-23-2006 01:02 PM

This weekend I watched Click and Man of the Year. I highly recommend both.

I'm waiting for a good morning or afternoon to watch the rest of The Ring. I watched the first fifteen or so minutes of it a few days ago, but it was 11:30 p.m. and not a good time for me to be watching a scary movie. I got so paranoid just from watching that much, I couldn't get to sleep until 2:30. Thing is, once I get through the whole movie, it'll be great and I can watch it multiple times with no problems. It's just getting through the first viewing. It worked that way with The Village, The Sixth Sense, and The Forgotten.

snownose 10-23-2006 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

This weekend I watched Click and Man of the Year. I highly recommend both.

I'm waiting for a good morning or afternoon to watch the rest of The Ring. I watched the first fifteen or so minutes of it a few days ago, but it was 11:30 p.m. and not a good time for me to be watching a scary movie. I got so paranoid just from watching that much, I couldn't get to sleep until 2:30. Thing is, once I get through the whole movie, it'll be great and I can watch it multiple times with no problems. It's just getting through the first viewing. It worked that way with The Village, The Sixth Sense, and The Forgotten.

The Ring is an amazing movie! The first one is so much better than the second though, so seeing the second one might ruin the first.

Sevenseas 10-23-2006 01:11 PM

..and the original Japanese Ring (Ringu) is better than the Ring, even though the Ring is one of the best remakes I know.

Jessica Alana 10-23-2006 01:30 PM

Hey, how are spoiler tags done? I'm only finding font color & not bg color.

jeezycreezy 10-23-2006 01:33 PM

[ spoiler ] spoiler [ /spoiler ]

Only without the spaces between the Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
square brackets

Jessica Alana 10-23-2006 01:42 PM

Regarding "Click," were we supposed to know Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
that he fell asleep on the bed? I hope so because as soon as he laid down, I was like "What the hell? The rest of this is going to just be a dream??

Regarding "Ringu," when I rented that after seeing The Ring, we got home and we sat down to watch it, and I was like "What the hell?!?! It's in japanese!" Apparently I'm slower than most think. I HATE, HATE, HATE foreign films with english subtitles. Well, except for "He loves me, he loves me not." That one was ok. And I don't even like whatsherface.

Although the captioning on my tv is ALWAYS on, and i always watch DVDs with the subtitles on. Whatever.

Back with the topic..

I watched The Benchwarmers the other day. Aside from the bad acting and predictible plot, I laughed a lot. C'mon. David Spade with a sexy haircut like that, and a teeshirt that says "Everyone loves an asian boy"?

Sevenseas 10-23-2006 01:56 PM

I'm personally pretty used to foreign films with subtitles, English being a foreign language and all . What I hate hate hate is dubbed movies. That's just disgusting.

Jessica Alana 10-23-2006 02:01 PM

If it's a Jackie Chan dubbed movie, I'll totally watch it. :mouth keeps moving:

:mouth stops:

synergy 10-23-2006 11:16 PM

I really want to see Man of the Year and The Departed as well as Running with Sissors. They all look awesome.

I did watch Marie Antoinette on Thursday. I actually really liked it, even though it was a little slow in some parts. It's actually shot on location at Versailles where I have visited. The costumes were amazing as well.

ynaffit 10-23-2006 11:45 PM

I currently have La Bête humaine checked out from the library. My boyfriend checked out Abre los ojos and State and Main, as well as, um, Roll Bounce, which I'm not sure I'll end up watching even though he told me I should.

Jessica Alana 10-23-2006 11:48 PM

I have the new Omen coming from Netflix. It should be here tomorrow. Yay! If any of you've seen it, what'd you think?

Edit: I've seen the originals. I liked them.

Iria 10-24-2006 10:58 AM

My friends and I are going through a Moulin Rouge kick. They all watched it twice in the last two weeks (I couldn't make it to the second viewing) and then we found out that it's our hall's Tuesday night movie this week! Of course, we're watching again.

My randomized music player started playing "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" as I was typing this. Weird.

IamJen 10-24-2006 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

What I hate hate hate is dubbed movies. That's just disgusting.

Agreed. Dubbing is a horrible practice which should be outlawed as an affront to art. (just my opinion ) I noticed that in France, most of the theatres there would show Hollywood flicks with dubbed French tracks. I can't remember the last time I saw a film in the US with dubbing, in the theatre. To me, hearing the actual actors' voices is an essential part of the movie experience.

re: the movies of late:

Mission to Mars was insanely bad. It's only redeeming quality was that it occasionally breached the line into that category of "so bad it's funny". Good lord, there were more platitudes in there than a Lifetime movie. What a waste of a good idea.

The Lake House was disappointing. I knew it was a schmaltzy love flick, but I'd read some decent reviews, so I'd hoped that there may be a hidden depth as well. Alas, that was not the case. There were some nice bits of humor tucked here and there, but all in all it was quite flat.

Bad Taste: an apt title indeed. I was lured into this film by talk of "early Peter Jackson" " a classic", etc. Pah! To my knowledge, I have never before been so bored and so stifling the urge to vomit, as I was with this movie. Oh, the humanity.

Little Miss Sunshine: I posted about this in another thread, but I can't say enough good things about this movie. I loved it. Good humor through and through. :uP:

We recently watched a couple of second-time arounds for me too. Rashomon was enjoyable, but a bit slower than I had remembered. The Shawshank Redemption pleased as much as it did the first time around, although I think my movie partner was a bit less impressed. I absolutely adore this movie though, so I'm glad I have lots of time to convince IS of the error of his ways.

ElliottsMom 10-24-2006 03:23 PM

speaking of subtitles. I recently rented The Eye and it was very very freaky. I was afraid to go in the elevator the next day.

ETA I also rented Silent Hill the school scenes were filmed down the street from where I live.

Sevenseas 10-24-2006 03:31 PM

I've been meaning to watch the Eye, still haven't done it. Another similar film I've been meaning to watch is the Japanese original of Dark Water, someone called it the scariest film they have ever seen so I'm interested (it's from the same director as Ringu).

ElliottsMom 10-24-2006 03:36 PM

I've never seen Dark Water (English or Japanese) I hear Audition is a good, but gory one I also want to see A Tale of Two Sisters. I found a Canadian version of Netflix called Zip so I'm excited.

Trueveggie14 10-24-2006 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

If it's a Jackie Chan dubbed movie, I'll totally watch it. :mouth keeps moving:

:mouth stops:

Did you watch The Drunken Master in Cantonese? I have. So funny, but mostly b/c of an inside joke with the English version. I love the mom (or is it his Step-mom?) in that movie.

Recently I've watched Just Like Heaven which was a cute movie. Definitely girly, but much better than that other movie he (Mark Ruffalo) was in (13 going on 30 -- that movie stinks, absolutely horrible).

Aeon Flux - didn't care for it. I remember the show. Charlize Theron has a man's voice, especially in this movie. It really ruined it for me.

V for Vengence - again not too spectacular. It had some good moments.

Batman Begins - I really enjoyed this movie. Good flick, a must own.

Jessica Alana 10-24-2006 03:52 PM

Yeah. I used to have Drunken Master on VHS.

I got my Omen 666 a bit ago. I'm starting to watch it now. If i can tear myself away from these damn crack-boards.

ElliottsMom 10-26-2006 01:23 PM

I wathced A Tale of Two Sisters last night (Korean horror) and it was so wierd I had to go onto imdb after to try and understand it basically SPOILERS

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Soo-Mi went crazy after her mother and sister died and she thought she was her father's mistress (Eun-Joo) and her sister (Soo-Yeon). her deceased mother keeps coming to her in her dreams to protect her. while her sister, Soo-Yeon is haunting the house because Eun-Joo could have saved her and was the reason the mother committed suicide. I still have no clue why she was beating the bloody sack because I thought Soo-Yeon died in the closet.

Skylark 10-26-2006 01:39 PM

I also need to give props to Maria Full of Grace. Granted, I haven't seen it in probably a year, but it is really good. There's some blood toward the end, but the other "objectionable" parts of the movie are crucial to the storyline: the main characters are drug mules, smuggling cocaine from Columbia to the US.

And yeah, you need to hear their voices. The first time I saw Pirates of the Caribbean, it was dubbed into Spanish. First, you miss Johnny Depp's voice. Second, they gave Kiera Knightley the most awful overdramatic soap opera voice evah. Her voice isn't as essential, but they did such a bad job matching it.

Does anyone else have friends who have running lists of movies you need to see? I think I've seen a decent amount, for someone who's not a total movie fanatic. Every time three particular friendsonly two of whom know each other, evenhear I haven't seen a particular flick they liked, they sigh and say, "Skylark, I'm adding it to the list."

Jessica Alana 10-26-2006 01:53 PM

I watched "Slither" last night; well, early this morning. Oh. My. Lord. It was such a bad movie. There were some comedic parts, especially from the cop guy, where he'd say something completely off the wall. I gave that one a 2 out of 5 stars on Netflix. I was going to give it 3, but then I'd start getting recommendations on similar movies, and we don't want that.

I got Bill Engvall's Here's Your Sign just now in the mail. I'm about to watch it.

ElliottsMom 10-26-2006 01:55 PM

Quote:

I watched "Slither" last night; well, early this morning. Oh. My. Lord. It was such a bad movie. There were some comedic parts, especially from the cop guy, where he'd say something completely off the wall. I gave that one a 2 out of 5 stars on Netflix. I was going to give it 3, but then I'd start getting recommendations on similar movies, and we don't want that.

I got Bill Engvall's Here's Your Sign just now in the mail. I'm about to watch it.

I was thinking of renting this. is it like a horror movie that's so bad it's funny? thet was my impression of it

Jessica Alana 10-26-2006 01:58 PM

YES. Except It's supposed to be comedic. It's more like a mockery of horror movies. There are dead animals and stuff, so if you can't watch that, fair warning.

It was KIND of like Shaun of the Dead, except Shaun of the Dead was much better.

jeezycreezy 10-26-2006 02:05 PM

Quote:

Shaun of the Dead

Shaun of the Dead RAWKS!~!!!11~!1

Anyone here seen the tv series Spaced?

I liked Slither. It was off. Slow in the beginning. But it essentially turned into a zombie movie. And there is no such thing as a bad zombie movie. :zombie: