VB Movie Lounge - Page 79 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#2341 Old 04-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I watched "Hook" last night. It was okay. Tonight I'm watching "Mars Attacks!"

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2342 Old 04-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

I watched "Hook" last night. It was okay. Tonight I'm watching "Mars Attacks!"

I love Hook!! "Ru-Fi-Oh Ru-Fi-Oh Ruuuuu-Fi-Ohhhhhhh!!!" lol
#2343 Old 04-21-2009, 01:27 PM

Oh, I love Hook too, but Peter Pan is one of my most preciously-held tales. That part where the Lost Boy says "oh, there you are" makes me cry every single time. The Peter Pan version from 2003 (I think?) is the gold standard, imo though. Absolutely lovely.

Mars Attacks = very stupid, but very funny.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2344 Old 04-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Beginner

Mars Attacks is freakin' hilarious.
#2345 Old 04-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Mars Attacks is one of my favorite movies!

SPOILER ALERT

According to Tim Burton, the studio told him he wasn't to kill off Jack Nicholson's character in the movie. Apparently disgruntled about being told what to do, Burton not only killed off Jack Nicholson's character, but he wrote in an extra role for Nicholson just so he could kill him twice.

I love movie trivia.
#2346 Old 04-22-2009, 02:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

SPOILER ALERT

According to Tim Burton, the studio told him he wasn't to kill off Jack Nicholson's character in the movie. Apparently disgruntled about being told what to do, Burton not only killed off Jack Nicholson's character, but he wrote in an extra role for Nicholson just so he could kill him twice.

I love movie trivia.

One of my old drinking buddies was an animator on that film. He's very proud that a scene he 'improvised' actually made it into the movie. (In the scene where the Martian troops are all being lined up and handed weapons on the ship, there's one Martian in the back of the line that leans over and impatiently peeks out towards the front of the line...that wasn't in the script but Burton kept that in).
#2347 Old 04-22-2009, 02:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I just got home from "Observe and Report"....

DO NOT... I repeat... DO NOT waste your time or money on this movie! It wasn't funny at ALL.

I went into it with no expectations, so it's not like I had high hopes an it fell short. I had NO hopes and it fell WAY short! lol. I usually like comedies with Seth Rogan in them, but this movie was terrible. I don't know what I was thinking by going to it! Jeez... I wish I could have my two hours back

I also recently watched "Last House on the Left" and forgot to post a review here. It was pretty good, but a BRUTAL movie! The violence was so realistic and graphic. The woman behind us actually walked out, and there was someone in the back who threw up! lol... Its not horror-movie gorey-type graphic either... it's like, long, slow, drawn out violence that is disturbing and excessive. I could honestly see why someone would turn it off or leave; it was pretty intense. (But like I said, it wasn't a BAD movie, the plot was neat, the acting was good)

Just a little heads up

Now that I sound like I don't like any movies... I should probably post a good reveiw of something!
#2348 Old 04-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

SPOILER ALERT

I love movie trivia.

LOL, that's awesome!
#2349 Old 04-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Oh, I love Hook too, but Peter Pan is one of my most preciously-held tales. That part where the Lost Boy says "oh, there you are" makes me cry every single time. The Peter Pan version from 2003 (I think?) is the gold standard, imo though. Absolutely love

Aww, I love that part!! He's playing with his face to find his smile.....tearing up just thinking about it!!
#2350 Old 04-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

I just got home from "Observe and Report"....

DO NOT... I repeat... DO NOT waste your time or money on this movie! It wasn't funny at ALL.

I went into it with no expectations, so it's not like I had high hopes an it fell short. I had NO hopes and it fell WAY short! lol. I usually like comedies with Seth Rogan in them, but this movie was terrible. I don't know what I was thinking by going to it! Jeez... I wish I could have my two hours back

I also recently watched "Last House on the Left" and forgot to post a review here. It was pretty good, but a BRUTAL movie! The violence was so realistic and graphic. The woman behind us actually walked out, and there was someone in the back who threw up! lol... Its not horror-movie gorey-type graphic either... it's like, long, slow, drawn out violence that is disturbing and excessive. I could honestly see why someone would turn it off or leave; it was pretty intense. (But like I said, it wasn't a BAD movie, the plot was neat, the acting was good)

Just a little heads up

Now that I sound like I don't like any movies... I should probably post a good reveiw of something!

I saw Observe & Report a couple weeks ago too. It's definitely not your typical Seth Rogan movie and definitely has a dark side to it but I thought it was hilarious!! I can see how a lot of people wouldn't like it though. It's one of those movies you just have to "get". Some will find hilarity in it and some won't.
#2351 Old 04-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I watched Eulogy the other night

Not a new movie, just a movie I like a lot haha

It's kind of a dark comedy.

It has Zooey Deschannel(sp?) in it and I totally love her-- her grandpa dies and all the kids go to the funeral; she's the daughter of the favorite. The family's a little dysfunctional and the grandkids all have some quirks. Grandma is all-the-while hating most of them. It's cute!
#2352 Old 04-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Impeach the gangster

Just got a Blu-ray player and the HiDef edition of "Fly Away Home." What a beautiful movie!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#2353 Old 04-22-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

I watched Eulogy the other night

Not a new movie, just a movie I like a lot haha

It's kind of a dark comedy.

It has Zooey Deschannel(sp?) in it and I totally love her-- her grandpa dies and all the kids go to the funeral; she's the daughter of the favorite. The family's a little dysfunctional and the grandkids all have some quirks. Grandma is all-the-while hating most of them. It's cute!

A little? It's a great little movie.
#2354 Old 04-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I finished The Visitor. It ended the way I expected. It's real life that you're not quite sure how it'll go. Even non-Disney movies are often predictable.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#2355 Old 04-23-2009, 06:13 AM

I saw Fast & Furious 2 nights ago
#2356 Old 04-24-2009, 09:52 PM

war of the robots...cheesy movie but sorta funny

have a hippie day
#2357 Old 04-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm in the process of finally watching Brokeback Mountain. I don't understand what all the hoopla was about. I don't think it's that great. It must've just been because of all the controversy. It's okay so far but it's not GREAT.

E.T.A. Maybe it gets better??
#2358 Old 04-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

It's gotten better but it's SO freaking long!!
#2359 Old 04-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

I'm in the process of finally watching Brokeback Mountain. I don't understand what all the hoopla was about. I don't think it's that great.

Heck, I'm gay and I didn't care for Brokeback Mountain all that much, which damn near got me kicked out of 'the club' in some circles. I just hate being told I should like something that I don't. The cinematography was well done, but having lived in Wyoming as a gay man for a whole lot of years, closeted cowboys just don't interest me.
#2360 Old 04-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

wow, I was completely moved by it. I was a mess of tears at the end.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#2361 Old 04-25-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

wow, I was completely moved by it. I was a mess of tears at the end.

me too...I was weeping and I loved the movie.
#2362 Old 04-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm in the process of finally watching Brokeback Mountain. I don't understand what all the hoopla was about. I don't think it's that great. It must've just been because of all the controversy. It's okay so far but it's not GREAT.

E.T.A. Maybe it gets better??

I'm with ya. Yeah it gets better but I wasn't blown away at all by the movie. I watched it with a gay friend who fell asleep during it. It was very long and just seemed to drag on at some points. It felt like a never ending movie. It also didn't help that I was completely frustrated with Heath Ledger's accent because I couldn't understand what he was saying throughout the movie.
#2363 Old 04-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I loved Brokeback Mountain, and although I don't cry during movies, that one brought me close to it.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#2364 Old 04-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

me too...I was weeping and I loved the movie.

Same here. I actually didn't get into it much at first, I think the music seemed to make it feel like it was dragging a lot at times. But I was a blubbering mess by the end of it.

We watched the unedited version of Role Models last night. Not sure what the difference between edited/unedited would have been, maybe the kids wouldn't have sworn as much (especially Ronnie). It was better than I expected, funnier, and didn't have the predictable fight at the end that I was sure would happen.

Also watched Run Fatboy Run, I love Simon Pegg and everything he's in. This one was good, but not as much as some of his other films. I still prefer Hot Fuzz, but that's one of my all time favorite movies.
#2365 Old 04-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Brokeback did get better and I did like it but I still don't think it was that great!! It was controversial and I think that's what all the hoopla was about. Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie and I cried at the end (not hard for me...I cry about everything.) but it was too long and drawn out and the beginning was pretty boring.

I also watched The Wedding Planner, Licensed to Wed, some Lifetime movie, 300, and Half Baked.

It was a VERY lazy, rainy weekend. The Lifetime movie was lame, and Licensed to Wed was cute. I've seen all the other ones before. Half Baked- Classic. 300- Good movie but not my choice I wouldn't have watched it twice (HB's doing). The Wedding Planner is okay but my mom had never seen it so I watched it with her.

Oh wait....I'm fogetting Friday.. We watched Bedtime Stories and The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Bedtime Stories was really cute. Predictable but cute and The Boy in the Striped Pajamas was super sad. I cried throughout the entire movie but it was good too.
#2366 Old 04-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg*nTray View Post

Also watched Run Fatboy Run, I love Simon Pegg and everything he's in. This one was good, but not as much as some of his other films. I still prefer Hot Fuzz, but that's one of my all time favorite movies.

Yeah, I thought Run Fatboy Run was pretty boring compared to others! Shaun of the Dead is probably my favorite
#2367 Old 04-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I watched Role Models, crazy funny.

Quarantine, awesomely good scare the pants off ya movie.

Mirrors with Jack Bau...I mean Keifer Sutherland, a little predictable but half way decent. Makes you think about looking into mirrors after watching it.
#2368 Old 04-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Brokeback did get better and I did like it but I still don't think it was that great!! It was controversial and I think that's what all the hoopla was about. Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie and I cried at the end (not hard for me...I cry about everything.) but it was too long and drawn out and the beginning was pretty boring.

I also watched The Wedding Planner, Licensed to Wed, some Lifetime movie, 300, and Half Baked.

It was a VERY lazy, rainy weekend. The Lifetime movie was lame, and Licensed to Wed was cute. I've seen all the other ones before. Half Baked- Classic. 300- Good movie but not my choice I wouldn't have watched it twice (HB's doing). The Wedding Planner is okay but my mom had never seen it so I watched it with her.

Oh wait....I'm fogetting Friday.. We watched Bedtime Stories and The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Bedtime Stories was really cute. Predictable but cute and The Boy in the Striped Pajamas was super sad. I cried throughout the entire movie but it was good too.

Yeah, I agree.. I liked Brokeback Mountain and it made me cry (but almost everything does), but I didn't feel it wasn't the amazing film it was touted to be.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE 300, I watch it pretty much anytime it's on! Gerard Butler= Plus I'm into that kind of flowy dramatic cinematic art.

Oh my gosh, I've been wanting to see The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, but I know I'll be a complete wreck. At least with that one it's obvious it's going to be that kind of film, unlike Turtles Can Fly, which I still feel hoodwinked by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

Yeah, I thought Run Fatboy Run was pretty boring compared to others! Shaun of the Dead is probably my favorite

That's a good one too. Pretty much all are good though, but Run Fatboy Run is definitely low on the totem pole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

I watched Role Models, crazy funny.

Quarantine, awesomely good scare the pants off ya movie.

Mirrors with Jack Bau...I mean Keifer Sutherland, a little predictable but half way decent. Makes you think about looking into mirrors after watching it.

Mirrors wasn't bad, I saw it a while ago so I don't remember everything about it.. I do remember that it was predictable, but entertaining. I thought the ending was good though.
#2369 Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Nick and Norahs Infinite Playlist. Cute!

Mercury Rising - it was ok, I thought the movie was kinda silly and it looked just OLD for 1998. But I guess we have advanced so much since then.
#2370 Old 04-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Mystery Men -- a lousy, lousy, stupid movie.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page