VB Movie Lounge - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 11-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Robin Williams was a definite non-teddybear in Insomnia too. Insomnia and One Hour Photo are great for precisely that reason: putting someone so humane and warm in a psycho role creates a nice contrast. It was better in Insomnia actually. In OHP he was mainly just a sad character, in Insomnia something more sinister.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 11-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Ugh, I hated Insomnia. Well, RW did a good job in it; I didn't like Pacino in it at ALL - his character annoyed me to the extent that I almost didn't finish the movie.
#63 Old 11-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Sevenseas, what did you think of Nicholas Cage's role in The Lord of War?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 11-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't seen that one unfortunately.

If you're asking because it's an example of another "soft" actor playing a tough role, then I can say that in Face/Off Cage plays an evil character for a while.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#65 Old 11-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

SS, Nicholas Cage's role in The Lord of War is very... complex. I wouldn't say he plays the bad guy, because he's the most likeable weapons dealer I've ever seen. But maybe that's just Nicholas Cage coming out. Either way, it's certainly different than his role in National Treasure.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#66 Old 11-02-2006, 03:59 AM

Lord of War was excellent, imo. I think I remember that IS liked it too. Excellent, albeit a bit dark, humor and a superb ending.

Nicholas Cage is on my short list of "actors who can entice me to see a movie even if it looks really stupid". (which would make a good thread, heh). I've enjoyed most everything in which I've seen him, although I must note that I haven't yet brought myself to view Captain Corelli's Mandolin

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#67 Old 11-02-2006, 04:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

SS, Nicholas Cage's role in The Lord of War is very... complex. I wouldn't say he plays the bad guy, because he's the most likeable weapons dealer I've ever seen. But maybe that's just Nicholas Cage coming out. Either way, it's certainly different than his role in National Treasure.

maybe Nicholas was being a bit cagey about coming out of himself? I did not know he was a national treasure either. Or I guess he might be if he seems a nice man (ahem) ..why not then assign him undercover for corrupt goverment and give him an arms deal....at arms length of course... I like to hold onto my limbs, even if he seems a nice guy, would you trust him??? hmmm?? *just teasing* I've not seen whatever movie that was about.
#68 Old 11-02-2006, 06:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Robin Williams was a definite non-teddybear in Insomnia too. Insomnia and One Hour Photo are great for precisely that reason: putting someone so humane and warm in a psycho role creates a nice contrast. It was better in Insomnia actually. In OHP he was mainly just a sad character, in Insomnia something more sinister.

Have you seen Robin Williams in Joseph Conrad's The secret Agent? He went under a psyeudonym so that people wouldn't come expecting a comedy. He plays a man who walks the city with explosives taped to his chest--waiting for the right moment to detonate. The film is not that great but RW is sensational.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#69 Old 11-02-2006, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Has anyone see Ken Russell's Lair of the White Worm? This is our FAVOURITE camp horror film. Spiderman just scored us a cheap copy off an an Amazon clearance sale. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095488/

So bad it's good. The wrestling sexy stewardesses dream which has f*ck all to do with the plot just has to be seen to be believed.

#70 Old 11-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Lord of War was excellent, imo. I think I remember that IS liked it too. Excellent, albeit a bit dark, humor and a superb ending.

Nicholas Cage is on my short list of "actors who can entice me to see a movie even if it looks really stupid". (which would make a good thread, heh). I've enjoyed most everything in which I've seen him, although I must note that I haven't yet brought myself to view Captain Corelli's Mandolin

ooh. them's fightin' words

Nicholas Cage is on my short list of "actors who can cause me to avoid a movie even if it looks really, really good."
#71 Old 11-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Nicholas Cage is on my short list of "actors who can cause me to avoid a movie even if it looks really, really good."

Ahhh, he's on mine too. He's right next to Paul Walker and Vin Diesel.
#72 Old 11-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I have that list too, but it only has one name: Mark Wahlberg.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#73 Old 11-03-2006, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Hm. That would be an interesting thread...

Leads off her list with Ben Stiller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl View Post

Has anyone see Ken Russell's Lair of the White Worm?

Oh geez. I haven't thought about this in years. Back in the college days, some friends and I watched this movie MANY times. So completely over the top, that it's hilarious. I'm not sure that was the director's intent though, which makes it even funnier. Hee, one to add to the rental queue.

PS...Amanda Donohoe was smoking, even as a non-human.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#74 Old 11-03-2006, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystmDwnGrl2 View Post

Ahhh, he's on mine too. He's right next to Paul Walker and Vin Diesel.

Tell us the truth, you're wearing a The Fast and the Furious t-shirt right now, aren't ya?

#75 Old 11-03-2006, 07:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hm. That would be an interesting thread...

Leads off her list with Ben Stiller.

True DAT! So far we're batting 1000 here, Jen. I'll go see a lame movie with Nicholas Cage before I'll watch a good movie with Ben Stiller. I still have flashbacks to Dodgeball. *shudders*

I'll intentionally watch a movie that has Joaquin Phoenix or Robin Williams in it.

Reese Witherspoon, I can take her or leave her, but she can be a wonderful addition to a good movie. Can't say I particularly cared for either of the Legally Blondes. Sandra Bullock and Julia Roberts are in the same category.

Gee, can you tell I'm straight?!

OTOH, I despise Leonardo Di Caprio, however, I saw and very much enjoyed Catch Me If You Can before I knew to generally stay away from him.

But then, I absolutely love Dakota Fanning, so I don't know what that makes me.

On a completely different topic, I swear I've seen Karen Hines before her hardly-on-camera role as Alison McAndrews in Man of the Year. However, I looked at her filmography on IMDB, and none of it looked familiar. Linda Kash, the other female hardly-on-camera member of Tom Dobbs' managment team, is also in the TV series Doc as Dr. Hebert's wife Nellie Hebert. However, her role on Man of the Year is much less... maternal and boring. Even though she's hardly part of the story.

#76 Old 11-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

:

Oh geez. I haven't thought about this in years. Back in the college days, some friends and I watched this movie MANY times. So completely over the top, that it's hilarious. I'm not sure that was the director's intent though, which makes it even funnier. Hee, one to add to the rental queue.

PS...Amanda Donohoe was smoking, even as a non-human.

Yes she was. We call Amanda Donahoe "Amanda I'm-a-Ho" after watching it. haha Have you ever read the orginal novel? It bear little or no resemblence to the film but it does explain the mongoose bit. In the book he had just returned from India so it would make sense having a mongoose. The film is like "where on earth did that scotsman get a mongoose from on such short notice???" I love that film. It is so bad it is good.

We also got Excaliber and Dragonslayer for cheap from Amazon. Anyone like those?

#77 Old 11-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I have that list too, but it only has one name: Mark Wahlberg.

I thought he was amazing in 'Rockstar', but then again, I love any movie about music.

I want to see that football one he just did... Can't quite recall the name of it.

The true story one.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#78 Old 11-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Spidergrrl, you seem to really enjoy Japanese films. Have you seen Battle Royale? This was a good "horror" movie. It was such a new theme. I've never seen this concept in a movie before. It made it psychologically scary and fresh.
#79 Old 11-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Marie Antoinette was okay. The choice in music was interesting.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#80 Old 11-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Banned

Borat is amazingly hilarious! haha
#81 Old 11-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I just saw 'Stranger than Fiction' with Will Farell tonight.

It was pretty good.

#82 Old 11-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Banned

I'm watching Walmart: The high cost of low prices right now.
#83 Old 11-13-2006, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to see Babel tonight.

It was fascinating. It's been awhile since I have seen a movie that was so unsettling in it's lack of plot resolution. The score was unbelieveable as well.

#84 Old 11-13-2006, 11:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I heard that they kill some animal in Babel and that the scene is probably not faked. Any truth to that?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#85 Old 11-13-2006, 11:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually forgot about that (blocked it out perhaps?) There is a scene where they kill a chicken in Tijuana before a wedding. I closed my eyes as soon as I realised what was happening.

I have no idea if it were faked or not, but I assumed it had been.

#86 Old 11-14-2006, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Moon Child --Japanese movie

Life is Beautiful --Italian tragicomedy

Both great movies!
#87 Old 11-15-2006, 09:28 AM

We just watched The Big White yesterday evening. I was pleasantly surprised. It often seems that movies with "great casts" fall flat on their faces. However, this film managed to contain Robin Williams, Holly Hunter and Giovanni Ribisi and still deliver a good, slightly dark comedy. I even enjoyed Alison Lohman as the ditzy girlfriend.

The previous evening we suffered through part of The Descent. Somehow, we'd added this to our online rental queue, thinking that it was a good sci-fi flick. What we got was 6 bimbos crawling around some caves uttering cliches and running from "monsters". Oh, the humanity.

#88 Old 11-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Okay, we saw three movies this weekend. Jen and I chose one movie each, and then we picked one together.

First we watched Bad Taste: A truly classic splatter movie set in beautiful surroundings on New Zealand, directed by legendary Peter Jackson (who also plays a couple of the characters).

Then we watched The Lake House. It was about a woman and a guy and a dog and this magic mail box that could Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
transport stuff between 2004 and 2006. So, this sounds a little interesting, right, with the science fiction theme and everything. Biiig disappointment. You'd think they would want to investigate further the time-transporting properties of this mail box, but nooo... The morons uses it to send sappy messages to eachother, completely ignoring for example the obvious "Quick! Tell me the winning numbers of the lottery!!!" approach.

And then we watched Mission to Mars which sucked a whole lot.

The Lake House is not a sci-fi movie. I was hoping that the characters would figure out little tricks to do with the mailbox, but nope.

As for Mission to Mars, yes, it did suck. But for some reason, I like watching parts of it. Maybe because Jerry O'Connell and Gary Sinise and Connie Nielsen are in it. There's a certain alluring quality about Connie Nielsen.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
"Phil's not here right now. He left for Earth five minutes ago!"

"This is the DNA of my perfect woman." *co-worker eats a few mm&ms* "What is it now?" "A frog."
#89 Old 11-15-2006, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Little Miss Sunshine: I posted about this in another thread, but I can't say enough good things about this movie. I loved it. Good humor through and through.

I laughed my ass off during this movie. It was freaking hilarious. I saw it in the theatre and for once, it was maybe actually worth the ticket price.
#90 Old 11-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The previous evening we suffered through part of The Descent. Somehow, we'd added this to our online rental queue, thinking that it was a good sci-fi flick. What we got was 6 bimbos crawling around some caves uttering cliches and running from "monsters". Oh, the humanity.

I thought the Descent was okay. I don't think the protagonists were bimbos at all. They were fairly average British women strongly connected to each other. I don't remember any cliches either. And I loved the beginning. That was actually the best part: simply watching them trapped in a cave, before the monsters. When the monsters appeared, it was okay for a little while but then it degenerated from horror into gore-filled action which I don't like.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page