VB Movie Lounge - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#31 Old 10-26-2006, 01:07 PM

to Maria Full of Grace. Very moving.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 10-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

there is no such thing as a bad zombie movie. :zombie:

yes there is. Zombie Honeymoon. I couldn't even watch the whole thing it was so bad. but that's the only bad one I've seen and I've seen many a zombie movie
#33 Old 10-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Has anyone seen Peter Jackson's Heavenly Creatures? This was amazing. And based on a true story.

I recently saw The Happiness of the Katakuris. This is in Japanese and is subtitled but they are so expressive you almost don't need the subtitles. Plus the added bonus of when somehting big happens like a volcano errupting that in any other film would be big budget CGI, they just turn into claymation annimation to do the shot. Then when the expensive shot is done they turn back into real actors again. It's a hoot.

Bad Education is a Spanish film that stars gael garcia bernal and is soooo good. But again, subtitled. We saw that one at the cinema and rented it later as well.

We've just rented Paperhouse. Haven't watched it yet---so will let you now.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 10-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

I liked Slither. It was off. Slow in the beginning. But it essentially turned into a zombie movie. And there is no such thing as a bad zombie movie. :zombie:

I just kept wanting to say "FEED ME, SEYMOUR" outloud in a fat voice while watching it. Fat voice, you ask? Yes. Fat voice.

I'd say it was more of a love story than a zombie movie. *cough*

I did feel warm and fuzzy a few times.

"I didn't wont no one ta see me lak thee-is" Poor brenda. *KERPLOW!* (that's my explosion noise)
#35 Old 10-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Paperhouse is okay, not great. it gets a little creepy near the end.

I loved Bad Education, Gael Garcia Bernal is one of my favorite actors.
#36 Old 10-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Running With Scissors is out in theaters today!

I command all of my minions to go see it.
#37 Old 10-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl View Post

Has anyone seen Peter Jackson's Heavenly Creatures? This was amazing. And based on a true story.

Yes, a marvellous film. But it is fairly old by now.
#38 Old 10-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Yes, a marvellous film. But it is fairly old by now.

So? If a person hasn't seen it yet, it'll be new to them.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#39 Old 10-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Tonight I'll be watching, The Tricky Master and God of Gamblers III. Both are Stephen Chow flicks.
#40 Old 10-29-2006, 12:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I've only been to the theatres twice in the past 8 months in an effort to save money.... but I had to go see my man in The Departed. Very good flick, and involves more thought than your average mafia/crime drama, but the ending was very disappointing. Walk out of the theatre as soon as they get into the elevator of the abandoned building, and pretend the last 15 minutes of the film don't exist.
#41 Old 10-29-2006, 01:43 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:

Yeah, it was pretty good. And somewhat disturbing, if I recall correctly!

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#42 Old 10-29-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Somewhat recently, I watched Silent Hill. Too game-like. Poor acting. A couple of scary scenes.

We borrowed this last night from someone. I agree with your comments.

I felt like I was in the video game. I only played part of the first Silent Hill game, but it still seemed too much like a game.
#43 Old 10-29-2006, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I rented Locker (Shibuya Kaidan) to watch tonight. I haven't hear to much about it but it seems pretty cool (if you like Japanese horror)
#44 Old 10-30-2006, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, the last movie I watched was Gummo, directed by Harmony Korine, who wrote the movie Kids, which some of you might be familiar with.

It's set in Xenia, OH, after a tornado hit the town. It's very postmodern and is a scrapbook of some backwoods people.

I have to warn you.....it has some (hopefully fake) scenes involving violence against cats.....I find it disdainful but then again, you're not supposed to sympathize with these characters.
#45 Old 10-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I watched The Locker last night, oh boy was it ever scary. and sad

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
the killer was the ghost of a baby the was abandoned in a locker and died
if you are a fan of the eastern horror genre I reccommend this movie for sure I'm watching the sequel tonight after Elliott's in bed.
#46 Old 10-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i've seen it. SO many times. i love it.

and so what if it's a pretty old movie by now? hell, the last movie i saw was the nutty professor - the original one, with jerry lewis. by comparison, heavenly creatures is a baby my mom just signed up for netflix, which is cool since i haven't really seen many movies. between the two of us, we keep it fairly balanced - she always wants to see all these really recent movies, and i keep adding rather old movies and foreign films
#47 Old 10-30-2006, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Last night we watched Lars von Trier's "Dancer in the Dark" movie starring Bjork.

Superb acting, interesting storyline, entertaining montages, but all in all very very very sad.
#48 Old 10-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Last night we watched Lars von Trier's "Dancer in the Dark" movie starring Bjork.

Superb acting, interesting storyline, entertaining montages, but all in all very very very sad.

I love; that movie.
#49 Old 10-30-2006, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

I also need to give props to Maria Full of Grace. Granted, I haven't seen it in probably a year, but it is really good. There's some blood toward the end, but the other "objectionable" parts of the movie are crucial to the storyline: the main characters are drug mules, smuggling cocaine from Columbia to the US.

I thought this was an amazing movie too... Very powerful. Too bad not many people have seen this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Does anyone else have friends who have running lists of movies you need to see? I think I've seen a decent amount, for someone who's not a total movie fanatic. Every time three particular friendsonly two of whom know each other, evenhear I haven't seen a particular flick they liked, they sigh and say, "Skylark, I'm adding it to the list."

My BF does that. He watches pretty much every movie that comes out. He sometimes brings me stacks of dvds to watch and it'll take me weeks to see them all... He gets all incredulous when I haven't seen certain "important" films.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#50 Old 10-30-2006, 11:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I forgot to add that I went to see 'Man of the Year' with Robin Williams today.

Loved it... It was a comedy and a drama all rolled into one... A dramady as it were. There are some hilarious lines and great political points.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#51 Old 10-31-2006, 01:08 AM

Oh, how I would love a good Robin Williams movie. I think there is a comic genius in there somewhere, but he's made some real stinkers in recent years. That said, I haven't yet seen The Night Listener either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Hm...one to add to the rental queue.

Our latest picks have been a couple of Brad Anderson flicks (ooh, nice rhyming): The Machinist, and Session 9. I'd actually rented The Machinist before, but in one of those great moves, never got around to watching it before it had to go back to the video store. Definitely my favorite of the two. Great colors (or lack thereof), superb acting, good ending. Session 9 was a little less satisfying. It seemed to drag in parts, while moving way too fast in others. Not horrible, but not on my recommended list, either. I did discover thought that Anderson directed another film which I love Happy Accidents.

oh, and if you want to see a funny Williams performance, try Death to Smoochy. Near as I can tell, I'm the only person I know who likes this movie, but I swear it's funny as hell.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#52 Old 10-31-2006, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I cry every time I watch Dancer in the Dark, and I've seen it so many times.
#53 Old 10-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

oh, and if you want to see a funny Williams performance, try Death to Smoochy. Near as I can tell, I'm the only person I know who likes this movie, but I swear it's funny as hell.

everyone i know who has seen it has loved it. i still haven't gotten around to seeing it though. i'll have to add it to the netflix queue
#54 Old 10-31-2006, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

My take on Robin Williams is that in the dramas he's in, he always plays the same teddybear-esque character, but that character is always so humane that I like it. Good Will Hunting is the best example of this.

re: Session 9, I feel I have to defend it since I recommended it

I liked at least these things about it:

-I really noticed the music. It wasn't standard horror muzak but there were some very creative moves. At one point a guitar twang out of nowhere, and the scariest moments used some weird circus-like piano runs.

-beforehand, I thought David Caruso would suck (dunno why), but I really liked his performance

-the stuff said on the audio reels was truly disturbing

-one thing I noticed was that unlike most horror movies, the scariest scenes happened in broad daylight, even if they were indoors, and yet managed to be pretty creepy. I thought that was a sign of their effectiveness.

-the last line is one of the best endings to any movie I know, hands down.

What I missed was a distinct visual look a la Machinist. I actually thought Machinist was great but didn't like the ending. Overall, I'd actually prefer S9 to Machinist, although they're both good.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#55 Old 10-31-2006, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I loved Man of the Year. I might go watch it again tonight, since I have no Halloween parties to attend. Thankfully, I had read a review of it ahead of time, so I knew it was a comedy and a drama, not just a comedy like the trailer appears.

However, Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I got really annoyed with the head honchos of the company-like-Diebold when they didn't just kill off the main female character. It would have made a much more interesting story if they had killed her, and then someone else uncovers all of it. I liked her, but those execs were just so ineffective!

To those who think Robin Williams should play something other than the teddy bear, what roles would you like to see him in? I just can't picture him as Captain Jack Sparrow. There's only one Johnny Depp AFAIK.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#56 Old 10-31-2006, 02:56 PM

He definitely wasn't a Teddy Bear in One Hour Photo. (shudder)

#57 Old 10-31-2006, 02:59 PM
Ex-*****

Tonight's pick was the new version of Omen, which was just recently released here in the UK. I'm not a big fan of scary movies altogether, but that aside, this was a pretty good movie. I think it's the religious mumbo-jumbo that appeals to me somehow. Apparently I haven't seen the original, so I can't tell if this was better or worse.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#58 Old 10-31-2006, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

So come on... who's going to see Borat this friday?

hint: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
remilard & oregonamy
#59 Old 10-31-2006, 11:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll download it this Friday.
#60 Old 11-01-2006, 02:44 AM

That's interesting. Caruso's performance was one of the weak spots, I thought. Actually, all the acting seemed a bit sub-par to me, they seemed pretty one dimensional.

Much of my disinterest I think, was that I felt that I'd seen it before. Now this could be true of the "twist" in The Machinist as well, but I found the backstory in that tale to be more interesting.

The music was quite good, and I did like the final line, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

re: Session 9, I feel I have to defend it since I recommended it

I liked at least these things about it:

-I really noticed the music. It wasn't standard horror muzak but there were some very creative moves. At one point a guitar twang out of nowhere, and the scariest moments used some weird circus-like piano runs.

-beforehand, I thought David Caruso would suck (dunno why), but I really liked his performance

-the stuff said on the audio reels was truly disturbing

-one thing I noticed was that unlike most horror movies, the scariest scenes happened in broad daylight, even if they were indoors, and yet managed to be pretty creepy. I thought that was a sign of their effectiveness.

-the last line is one of the best endings to any movie I know, hands down.

What I missed was a distinct visual look a la Machinist. I actually thought Machinist was great but didn't like the ending. Overall, I'd actually prefer S9 to Machinist, although they're both good.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page