Unfunny funny (things people find funny that you don't) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Is there something or someone that everyone around you seems to find really funny but that absolutely crushes your soul?

I'm thinking a person, show, movie, cartoon strip, whatever. (No members of VB need be mentioned. )

I'm thinking of times like, say when I saw the movie Rat Race and people were howling in the aisles with laughter whereas I was sitting in stunned silence pulling my leg hairs to try to stay awake and fight through the boredom.

That sort of thing.

Here's my list.

Least funny funny person: Martin Short.

He wasn't funny on SCTV. He wasn't funny on SNL. He totally got outclassed and outfunnied when he was on The Colbert Report. He's also creepy as all get out.

Least funny funny show: Trailer Park Boys.

Somebody write them a script with jokes and maybe I'll tune in. I've watched this show drunk and didn't even smirk.

Least funny funny movie: Austin Powers. (Pick one.)

It wasn't funny when Mike Myers said "Yeah baby!" And every time anyone has every tried to impersonate him since baby Jesus weeps salty tears of godlike sorrow.

So, um yeah. What's on your list?

ETA: Funny is a subjective thing. So if someone says they think something you think is funny is unfunny, I doubt you'd be able to convince them otherwise. So please just let them express their opinion and leave it at that. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't find it funny when acquaintences are howling with laughter over stories of killing an animal.

Same goes for racist, sexist and otherwise horribly-stereotypical jokes.

At first viewing, Monty Python and the Holy Grail fit this category for me, but then when I started laughing with friends about different parts of it... "Well, I got better!"... "What is your nameeeeeee? What is your favorite colorrrrrr?..." and the Knights Who Say "Ni!" I realized it was far funnier after the fact.

I did not find Dodgeball to be funny. A few parts of Shaun of the Dead were, but I'm not a fan of zombie movies to begin with, so that's my disclaimer.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#3 Old 11-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

I don't find it funny when acquaintences are howling with laughter over stories of killing an animal.

Oh yeah. I was thinking mainstream media type stuff. But if we're talking stupid things omnivores say, then stuff like when I went to a farm house for a murder mystery party last weekend where we all crashed on various beds and, because my wife couldn't make it, I got a bed in a hallway and, so, anyway, I was doing something annoying as is my wont:

Really judgemenatal killjoy chick I know: If you don't stop that I am going to stuff a pepperoni in your mouth while you're sleeping.

Is not funny. But my comeback:

TJ: Funny. I had something similar planned for you.

Was. (It's all in the delivery.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-03-2006, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm.. good thread.

All the cutesy turkey decorations and cartoons that are up in the hallways of our school (and everywhere) this time of year. I don't get why the very animal you're going to kill and eat is the subject of cute decorations, jokes, cartoons and children's artwork.

Will Farrell. I hate his humor. I just don't "get" him. I loathed Talledega Nights (and I realize it did get some poor reviews) but like jeezy said above, "the rest of the theater was howling with laughter".

Certain words that have become commonplace and even humorously-used in our language yet to some people, for whatever reason, (though I realize not to everyone) they are still upsetting, painful or offensive. Enough said.

The "Dead Baby" jokes that my 13-year-old and friends think are hilarious!! (But then, they're 13, everything I find offensive is humorous to them, and sometimes I find THAT troubling...).

I could think of more, and probably will...
#5 Old 11-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate movies like Joe Dirt, Zoolander, and Old School. It seems that nearly everyone in their twenties thinks these movies are hilarious. As a college student, I frequently saw these movies put on at various social get-togethers, and it seemed that everyone would be howling but me.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#6 Old 11-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't get it when people laugh/make fun of other people, whether it be the way they look, dress etc. What is so entertaining about pointing out someone's shortcomings? And who makes them the judge of what's 'normal' or acceptable? This happens at work a lot. And we're supposedly all adults.
#7 Old 11-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Primetime network TV, Napolean Dynamite(that movie was painful), Malcolm in the Middle, That 70s Show, and anything else that Fox tries to get Simpsons straggler ratings from. Oh, and how could I forget UPN and the WB. Does anybody know what CW actually stands for?

This is funny. Haha or uh-oh, you tell me.

~Wonder
#8 Old 11-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

South Park.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#9 Old 11-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Banned

Dontchu wish that on me, Ricka bobby.
#10 Old 11-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Jackass - the movie and tv show, adam sandler. Can't find anything funny about either one.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#11 Old 11-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Will Farrell. I hate his humor. I just don't "get" him. I loathed Talledega Nights (and I realize it did get some poor reviews) but like jeezy said above, "the rest of the theater was howling with laughter".

I used to die laughing when he played one of the cheerleaders on SNL.. and when he played the cowbells.
#12 Old 11-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I don't get it when people laugh/make fun of other people, whether it be the way they look, dress etc. What is so entertaining about pointing out someone's shortcomings? And who makes them the judge of what's 'normal' or acceptable? This happens at work a lot. And we're supposedly all adults.

totally agree!!! this is one of my biggest pet peeves, and it happens a LOT. but i believe the main reason people do it is because of their own insecurities. my cousin made fun of me the other night for wearing fluffy socks to the bar.

sorry to go off topic though...

um, i don't think tofu is as funny as a lot of people do.
#13 Old 11-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia soup View Post

um, i don't think tofu is as funny as a lot of people do.

Hey, I'm only funny in my own mind.
#14 Old 11-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Dumb comedies that make you feel offended and that the whole world has gone stupid! For example: Failure to Launch, Date Movie, 40 Year Old Virgin.

For the love of humanity make it stop!!!
#15 Old 11-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

In some industries, making fun of the craziest of the crazies in your public is the only way to stay sane. You think nutty people write Letters to the Editor? You should see the letters that don't get printed.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#16 Old 11-04-2006, 06:16 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Hey, I'm only funny in my own mind.

sorry...i should have clarified that i meant the food.
#17 Old 11-04-2006, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

In some industries, making fun of the craziest of the crazies in your public is the only way to stay sane. You think nutty people write Letters to the Editor? You should see the letters that don't get printed.

Well, I was referring to real people...co-workers being made fun of. I don't have a need to ridicule someone because they are overweight and they happen to not dress in the current fashion! I feel like it's high school stuff when I see 3-4 people hudled together laughing at some else's expense.

But then I may have misinterpretted this thread...it seems to be more about movies that are supposed to be funny and not the situations I am referring to!
#18 Old 11-04-2006, 07:44 AM

"Least funny funny show: Trailer Park Boys.

Somebody write them a script with jokes and maybe I'll tune in. I've watched this show drunk and didn't even smirk."

WTF? TPB is amazing, it isn't well known here in Britain (on Paramount Comedy) but its possibly the best thing on TV. Yeah its a bit far-fetched but its a welcome change from the same old same old from most 'comedies'.
#19 Old 11-04-2006, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

Jackass - the movie and tv show, adam sandler. Can't find anything funny about either one.

These are the exact two things I was going to say! The fact that both are so popular makes me despair about the future of humanity,
#20 Old 11-04-2006, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

I used to die laughing when he played one of the cheerleaders on SNL.. and when he played the cowbells.

Me too. Although I haven't seen any Will Ferrell movies and judging by the reviews probably wouldn't like them much, I find him just inherently funny and loved him on SNL.
#21 Old 11-04-2006, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson's View Post

WTF? TPB is amazing, it isn't well known here in Britain (on Paramount Comedy) but its possibly the best thing on TV. Yeah its a bit far-fetched but its a welcome change from the same old same old from most 'comedies'.

You know...I never looked at it like that before. That's certainly a fresh perspective. Huh. When you put it like that, I still don't like it.

But a lot of people do.

Which is what this thread is about.

Not the other way around.

Maybe you could start a different thread on listing thigss that you and a majority of people seem to find funny but that a few people didn't find funny?

While I am here, and sticking with my theme of unfunny Canadiana: Kids In The Hall.
#22 Old 11-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Banned

Unfunny British TV Comedies:

The Royle Family- what is so funny about a comedy of a fat man and his simple daughter and the rest of his family farting and belching and whittering on about rubbish while sitting infront of their tvs, shown in real time. if i wanted to watch that, i have neighbours i could go visit.

The Office- yeah... see above, but in an office. the main character (and writer, i think) makes me cringe so much it hurts my jaw and shoulders, for a start. and the fact that the series was sold to the US, and then completely remade with an entirely new cast (assumedly cos cos the americans wouldn't get it as it was?) makes me shake my head even more.

The Thin Blue Line: just silly, not funny, and pretty much pointless.

i'd pick Blackadder or Red Dwarf over any of this crap, any day, lol.
#23 Old 11-04-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson's View Post

"Least funny funny show: Trailer Park Boys.

Somebody write them a script with jokes and maybe I'll tune in. I've watched this show drunk and didn't even smirk."

Since you've posted something about TPB in this thread, I'm going to mark you down for Trailer Park Boys: Unfunny funny.

It's on record.
#24 Old 11-04-2006, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

The Office- yeah... see above, but in an office. the main character (and writer, i think) makes me cringe so much it hurts my jaw and shoulders, for a start. and the fact that the series was sold to the US, and then completely remade with an entirely new cast (assumedly cos cos the americans wouldn't get it as it was?) makes me shake my head even more.

I tuned into an episode of the original on BBC America to see what all the fuss was about. Sat through an entire episode and didn't laugh once. I then tuned into an episode of the American remake, thinking that might be funnier because it has a new American sensibility. Again, I didn't laugh once.

But then I generally tend to disagree with critics who rave about the wonderfulness and hilarity of certain TV "comedies", like Arrested Development. I watched the first 2 or 3 episodes and tried to like it, I really did, but again, it didn't elicit a single burp of laughter from me. I just didn't get what the critics saw in it.

*this space not for sale*
#25 Old 11-04-2006, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:

Believe it or not americans aren't too stupid to get british humor. The Office played on american cable and is available on DVD in america and many people watch it. As for remaking it in America:

1. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery

2. Ricky Jarvis was complicit, so you can't call it a *******ization really

3. Were they supposed to remake it with the same cast?
#26 Old 11-04-2006, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I tuned into an episode of the original on BBC America to see what all the fuss was about. Sat through an entire episode and didn't laugh once. I then tuned into an episode of the American remake, thinking that might be funnier because it has a new American sensibility. Again, I didn't laugh once.

But then I generally tend to disagree with critics who rave about the wonderfulness and hilarity of certain TV "comedies", like Arrested Development. I watched the first 2 or 3 episodes and tried to like it, I really did, but again, it didn't elicit a single burp of laughter from me. I just didn't get what the critics saw in it.

What do you think is funny?
#27 Old 11-04-2006, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

* South Park

* Friends

* Austin Powers

* Any romcom

* Have to agree with the office/royle family

* Monty Python

* Black adder/red dwarf (sorry!)

im the kind of person who laughs at things that arent meant to be funny!

I liked Jackass though guess I'm alone. in my defence i was about 14 when it came out and get great pleasure in watching humans get hurt!
#28 Old 11-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

What do you think is funny?

Ack! No!

This thread is about what people find unfunny. Like Best In Show.

Please let's stick with that.

There's bound to be things people don't find funny that you do; it's kind of the whole point of this thread.
#29 Old 11-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

* Monty Python

Please apologize.

I haven't seen any MP films besides Holy Grail, which wasn't that funny, but Flying Circus had some great moments.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#30 Old 11-04-2006, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

^^ Sevenseas try The meaning of Life or The Life of Brian ... both very funny. I own The Holy Grail and The Meaning of Life in my movie collection.

Quote:

Unfunny British TV Comedies:

The Thin Blue Line: just silly, not funny, and pretty much pointless.

I enjoyed the BBC Office. I only got to see one season of it, but got into the story line. I can't stand the American version. Never watch it.

The Thin Blue Line always made me laugh. / BBC disagreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggplant View Post

Me too. Although I haven't seen any Will Ferrell movies and judging by the reviews probably wouldn't like them much, I find him just inherently funny and loved him on SNL.

Start with something cute like Elf. Yes, most of his movies bomb. I cant wait to see the one they are previewing now with the writer writing a book about him and hes scared shes going to kill him. (sorry, I dont find it imperative to remember commercials word for word Im at a loss for the name of this movie) A general rule with Will Farrell is wait for the Blockbuster version. Then, youve only spent $3 and it is no big deal if you hate it.

Unfunny funny-

Definitely: Napolean Dynamite, Deuce Bigalow European Gigolo (I was too nauseated by this film) anything with Woody Allen (he nauseates me for many reasons, including taking a 16 yr old lover he should be incarcerated but the CA jails are too full)

Now Im drawing a blank on movie titles. Ill chime in next time someone mentions another one that everyone else was excited about and laughing and I felt ill over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenLovesSnow View Post

I don't get it when people laugh/make fun of other people, whether it be the way they look, dress etc. What is so entertaining about pointing out someone's shortcomings?

Agreed. This is hurtful, juvenile and shows no depth of character.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page