VBers who love Firefly/Serenity (most likely spoilers) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-29-2006, 03:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I know there are a few threads out there about the film at least, but they're very old and filled with neutral reviews. So this thread is for fanboy/fangirl chat since I know there are at least a few of us on this site who love this amazing series and film (mostly I know this because I stalk such people).

reminder: even though I've said 'spoilers' in the title, it's only fair to put all those nasty little heartwrenching moments (you know what I'm talking about ) and surprising plot details under Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
spoiler tags
in case curious people wander in.

Okay, fellow Browncoats, have at it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-29-2006, 03:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I started watching that series... but it was cancelled. Pity, it was quite funny. The movie was good but they skipped the song at the start.

Sometimes that show really reminded me of EVE online.
#3 Old 09-29-2006, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried to get a personalized license plate for my car that said "BRNCOAT" but it was already taken.

I'm bummed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-29-2006, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

I started watching that series... but it was cancelled. Pity, it was quite funny. The movie was good but they skipped the song at the start.

Sometimes that show really reminded me of EVE online.

I looked up EVE online. I see what you mean.
#5 Old 09-29-2006, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

I tried to get a personalized license plate for my car that said "BRNCOAT" but it was already taken.

I'm bummed.

I want a bumper sticker that says "my other vehicle is a firefly class transport ship". But the one I actually saw the text looked blurry and funny.
#6 Old 09-29-2006, 08:22 AM
Veggie Regular

We named our firefish Serenity
#7 Old 09-29-2006, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Joss Whedon > the almighty

Cheers!

TJ
#8 Old 09-29-2006, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

I want a bumper sticker that says "my other vehicle is a firefly class transport ship". But the one I actually saw the text looked blurry and funny.

Just cut the words out of paper and spraypaint it on.

Either that or pay someone to make a sticker for you.
#9 Old 09-29-2006, 08:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

Just cut the words out of paper and spraypaint it on.

Either that or pay someone to make a sticker for you.

I think maybe cafepress do them? I haven't really looked into it yet...
#10 Old 09-29-2006, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

Joss Whedon > the almighty

Cheers!

TJ

example of my scoping out of firefly fans:

I thought you would turn up in this thread because you used 'gorram' in a sentence on VB.

#11 Old 09-29-2006, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

A few weeks ago I saw a car with a license plate frame that said "Wash is my copilot"

I was extremely jealous!
#12 Old 09-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

A while back, having seen bits of Buffy and not being terribly impressed with it, I tended to be rather wary of the hype around Joss Whedon's name. One of my message boards about comic books, though, is actually dedicated to Whedon, so I had to hear about about Whedon this and Joss that and firefly that all the bloody time. Everybody seemed terribly excited about Whedon, especially the Firefly series. So, when a friend offered to lend me the DVDs, I thought 'what the hell, let's see what this is about'. And I've been hooked ever since. I watched Serenity soon after I finished the series, but now I want more!! More I say!
#13 Old 10-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Isowish, (it's weird calling you that) where did i get your serenity tee shirt made from? You might be able to get a "baby on board" style thing made from there.

No, better idea - "honk if you're ..." bumper sticker. It can be filled with all kinds of comical serenifly (Yes I said it) type things.
#14 Old 10-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazikeen View Post

A while back, having seen bits of Buffy and not being terribly impressed with it

There's a few horrible episodes of Buffy, and that includes several seasons of the show.

There's a few very good episodes as well ("Hush", for example).

Most of it was watchable, in my opinion.

Disclaimer: I only had one channel at the time, so it wasn't as if I had anything else to watch.
#15 Old 10-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

example of my scoping out of firefly fans:

I thought you would turn up in this thread because you used 'gorram' in a sentence on VB.

Did I?

I mean, I probably did. Most of my friends and email pals are Firefly fans and I use it all the time. I have to fight the urge to use it in places where the uninitiated heathens might be confused by it. Guess one slipped by.

Oh, actually, I think I nominated Mal for best good guy in an Entertainment forum thread troub started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

There's a few horrible episodes of Buffy, and that includes several seasons of the show.

Season one is pretty bad. I mean, it was good at the time but going back and rewatching it after the awesomeness of later seasons, well...not so much. The Inca Mummy Girl episode is just plain goofy. And the Master is way too one-dimensional.

Buffy was like a creative sandwich. It started off all right, got great for a while in the middle, and then kind of tapered off to just sort of okay. I still enjoyed the show but it was a shadow of its former self in the last couple of seasons.

Angel was a bit like that too. Off to a slow start, but once it got its creative legs it was awesome. Then they moved into Wolfram and Heart and it all sort of fell apart. And that last episode...meh.

But even an okay episode of Buffy or Angel was better than a good episode of most shows.

Sigh. I used to live for Tuesday nights. I miss them so much.

As for Firefly...there was no bad. Every episode was a gem. The cast was incredible. And while it never had the chance to die a slow death like Buffy, it sure would have been nice to get a couple seasons out of it.

So, yeah. Aliens movies notwithstanding Joss Whedon can do no wrong in my eyes.

Cheers!

TJ

PS. Out. For. A. Walk...B!tch.
#16 Old 10-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Banned

afasdf
#17 Old 10-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Banned

afafasdf
#18 Old 10-02-2006, 05:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok, so has anyone of you guys given the Serenity comic books a go? I think they're supposed to cover the time period between the end of the series till the film begins. I would love more Firefly material, but for some reason, I tend to shy away from TV-related comic books. Would love feedback from anyone who's read them.
#19 Old 10-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Banned

I love Firefly too. I didn't enjoy the film as much as it wasn't as character-focussed, but it was still great a few things aside - yes, those spoiler moments, you know what I'm talking about!!!

Was finally forced into watching Firefly by my husband though glad I was because I love it. Wash and Kaylee are my favourite characters. And yes I have a habit of using 'gorram' too. And 'shiny'.

Loved Buffy and Angel, though agree with jeezycreezy about them peaking in the middle and being a bit rubbish towards the end.
#20 Old 10-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazikeen View Post

Ok, so has anyone of you guys given the Serenity comic books a go? I think they're supposed to cover the time period between the end of the series till the film begins. I would love more Firefly material, but for some reason, I tend to shy away from TV-related comic books. Would love feedback from anyone who's read them.

I've read some of them...not sure exactly how much because I got them in book form instead of comic book form. It might even be all of them, but if so it doesn't end very well

Pretty cool though, and ties into the show well. I don't regret buying them.
#21 Old 10-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've read some of them...not sure exactly how much because I got them in book form instead of comic book form. It might even be all of them, but if so it doesn't end very well

Pretty cool though, and ties into the show well. I don't regret buying them.

Thanks for your input, Isowish, I was wondering if it would be worth buying them or reading them.
#22 Old 10-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Tisk tisk, book form.
#23 Old 10-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Banned

Just have to add my 2 cents to this. Oh Firefly! How I miss you! Let me count the ways!......Oh, well. Sniff sniff...I'll keep my morning to myself.
#24 Old 10-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life2k View Post

I'll keep my morning to myself.

But do feel free to share your afternoon with us.
#25 Old 10-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Beginner

Loved Serenity so much I bought it!
#26 Old 10-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Banned

I bought the series and the movie. I watch them about once a month. It was once a week.
#27 Old 10-05-2006, 03:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a Blue Sun shirt and hat, the Serenity magazine and visual companion, and of course the series and movie on DVD. So yeah, I like it a whole lot. One of my favorite shows ever! I made all of my friends watch the series, and took some of them to the movie premiere.

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#28 Old 10-05-2006, 03:53 AM
Banned

I still can't get over the fact that this was canned mid-series when it was so great from the outset. So many series go on for so much longer and are just rubbish. Or even if they are good they take more than one season to really get going. I mean take Buffy for example to stick with the Jossverse - a brilliant show when it got going, but it didn't get really goo until series 2 - series one was nowhere near as good as Firefly.
#29 Old 10-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

But do feel free to share your afternoon with us.

I would go back and change that, but then I couldn't apply for the part of Jayne.
#30 Old 10-05-2006, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

That series kicked ass. I can't believe they cancelled it

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page