I just watched The Corporation - VeggieBoards

I just watched The Corporation

delicious's Avatar delicious
05:08 AM 09-07-2006
http://www.thecorporation.com/index.php?page_id=2

I thought it was very good. Anyone else seen it? What did you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sevenseas's Avatar Sevenseas
05:12 AM 09-07-2006
*waits for someone to come in to defend those poor widdle corporations*
jeezycreezy's Avatar jeezycreezy
08:02 AM 09-07-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

*waits for someone to come in to defend those poor widdle corporations*

Hey! Corporations are people too!

Well, legally at any rate.

Yeah, I saw this on TV and picked up the DVD shortly thereafter.

I'd say I love it, but it depresses the hell out of me much like reading books like No Logo, Fast Food Nation, Animal Liberation, etc.

Cheers!

TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

jeff_veg's Avatar jeff_veg
09:32 PM 09-07-2006
I saw this a while back and really enjoyed it. But it wasn't a huge shock for me or anything. It's not as if I was watching it thinking: "wait a minute... corporations are EVIL.... no WAY!"

If you haven't seen it and want to, try searching google video. The full doc used to be up on there.
epski's Avatar epski
07:04 PM 09-08-2006
Seen it twice. First time took me on an emotional journey I did not expect. Second time I felt the last part of the film dragged. Probably needs to be shorter, but that doesn't detract from my overall opinion that The Corporation is one of the best docs I've ever seen.
Dirty Martini's Avatar Dirty Martini
02:09 AM 09-16-2006
We watched it this week. Honestly, I thought it was full of holes and skimmed over a lot of things, and could have been done a lot better. They presented quite a few things as 'fact' that have been publicly and openly refuted (like IBM & Hitler --the picture of the two men was taken in 1937 -- two years before the blitzkrieg. so, what, owners of companies can't meet with heads of state in the possibility they might do something bad?)

I should have taken notes, because there were several times i stopped the movie and asked remilard, "wait... but didn't X happen? And why aren't they talking about Y?"

I was hoping for some concrete evidence and instead it felt like watching a flimsy commentary based on opinion and emotion rather than fact. I wanted a business case, not an opinion piece.

I did like the bit on sweatshops, though.

I also thought the stuff on river pollution was interesting. The footage must have been from the mid-late '60s ... isn't the fact that our rivers aren't frothy now a statement that our EPA has actually done something?

And they completely neglected to talk about all of the companies that hold themselves to a double bottom line.

It was okay, but I wouldnt' recommend it as I feel it was the left-wing equivalent of Fox news - one side of the story.
GhostUser's Avatar GhostUser
06:53 AM 09-16-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

I also thought the stuff on river pollution was interesting. The footage must have been from the mid-late '60s ... isn't the fact that our rivers aren't frothy now a statement that our EPA has actually done something?

Unfortunately, no. The EPA is just as corrupt, especially in recent years, as any other government organization. Our rivers are WORSE now, in most cases (not all, but again the cleaning up of rivers is mostly due to either direct citization clean-up, or pressure placed up agenices like the EPA to clean it up), than they were in the '60's. Well, the little that we have left anyway.
otomik's Avatar otomik
09:48 AM 09-16-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

It was okay, but I wouldnt' recommend it as I feel it was the left-wing equivalent of Fox news - one side of the story.

sad but true, I felt the same about jarecki's Why We Fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwavez View Post

Our rivers are WORSE now, in most cases (not all, but again the cleaning up of rivers is mostly due to either direct citization clean-up, or pressure placed up agenices like the EPA to clean it up), than they were in the '60's. Well, the little that we have left anyway.

maybe this has an element of "truthiness" to you and others disappointed with the amount of progress but in another observable, quanitifiable, verifiable way you're just wrong. read a book.
03:13 PM 09-16-2006
Why are people just now being warned not to eat fish. That didn't happen in the 60's or 70's to my knowledge. Why are cancer rates going up?
remilard's Avatar remilard
03:22 PM 09-16-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

Why are people just now being warned not to eat fish. That didn't happen in the 60's or 70's to my knowledge. Why are cancer rates going up?

I would say the top two reasons are increased life expectancy and more advanced surgical and imaging technology leading to more diagnoses.
gaya's Avatar gaya
03:42 PM 09-16-2006
I haven't seen it...haven't heard of it so thanks for the heads up delicious.

People are being warned not to eat fish because of pollution but we've had these issues for decades now, there just weren't concrete correleations like we have today.
12:36 AM 09-17-2006
You're welcome gaya
ocrob37's Avatar ocrob37
12:34 PM 08-09-2015
I apologize for changing the subject but something just came to mind. We as in almost all people really hate large corporations. They seem to either be corrupt or just take advantage of current laws. So, the question is who are these corporations? They employ some very good hardworking people. These people depend on them to make a living and are only doing their jobs. So, when we say we hate a particular corporation who do we actually hate? I think it is the same concept of how we feel about other countries. The people are probably amazing, but the leaders are horrible. I wonder who can be held accountable at these corporations? It is really sad these CEO's can make a ****load of money and have a golden parachute while the hard working employees get nothing and the company destroys many things.
Reply Up