Steve Irwin,Crocodile hunter killed - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-03-2006, 10:44 PM

Did anyone else read about this yet?? It gives me the heeby jeebies just thinking about it! He was killed off Port Douglas in Queensland while shooting a documentary by a stingray barb going through his chest! He was crazy, but I liked him!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

What the heck?? Do you have a link?
#3 Old 09-03-2006, 10:49 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Holy crap! That's so sad!

I always liked his show.
#5 Old 09-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Man, that's so weird. I went to Australia in Feb. We went to Australia zoo, which is, was his zoo, and he turned up in the food court, which was all open, on his dirt bike with his kid on the seat in front of him and everyone was clapping for him and stuff. I came away saying crikey all the time. Man, so weird. I wonder what's going to happen to the development of the zoo now, I mean I'm sure his family will want to continue it but I kind of got the idea that the money was coming from the publicity that he was able to generate.
#6 Old 09-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Good gracious!

*this space not for sale*
#7 Old 09-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I heard about this on the radio about an hour ago, I couldn't believe it. He will be sadly missed, although I didn't agree whole heartedly with some of his hands-on tactics he did do a lot to help animals, gave a lot of money and helped raise awareness. RIP steve.

"Through the centuries, we have projected onto the wolf the qualities we most despise and fear in ourselves." ~ Barry Lopez.
#8 Old 09-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Bye, Steve. I always loved your show.
#9 Old 09-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Unfortunate, but not all that unexpected. His luck finally ran out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/04/wo...rtner=homepage
#10 Old 09-04-2006, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow. I have some very fond memories of my sister and I cracking up at his show -- once over a long-distance phone line between states while watching the broadcast. We could riff on CH imitations for some time.

Strange all the dangerous stuff he survived seemingly-without-difficulty ... and then not.
#11 Old 09-04-2006, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

There's already a thread about this in the Entertainment forum.
#12 Old 09-04-2006, 12:18 AM
Banned

Crikey!
#13 Old 09-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Oops! I swear I looked and didn't see it. I gotta ease up on the hard drugs.
#14 Old 09-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Banned

Crikey!
#15 Old 09-04-2006, 12:25 AM
Banned

How horribly sad. My husband and I used to love seeing him on in the mornings on saturdays. I feel so sorry for his wife and two small children.
#16 Old 09-04-2006, 01:18 AM
Veggie Regular

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5311298.stm

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...rwin_ap203.jpg

'Crocodile Hunter' Irwin killed

The naturalist worked to protect Australian wildlife

Irwin with tiger cubs

Australian environmentalist and television personality Steve Irwin has died during a diving accident.

Mr Irwin, 44, was killed by a stingray barb to the chest while he was filming an underwater documentary in Queensland's Great Barrier Reef.

Paramedics from the nearby city of Cairns rushed to treat him at the scene but were unable to save him.

Mr Irwin was known for his television show The Crocodile Hunter and his work with native Australian wildlife.

Police in Queensland confirmed the naturalist's death and said his family had been notified. Mr Irwin was married with two young children.

"It is believed that Mr Irwin collapsed after being stung by a stingray at Batt Reef off Port Douglas at about 11:00 am (0100 GMT)," a police statement quoted by AFP news agency said.

"His crew called for medical treatment and the Queensland medical helicopter responded, however Mr Irwin had died."

Documentaries

Mr Irwin had built up what was a small reptile park in Queensland into what is now Australia Zoo, a major centre for Australian wildlife.

Mr Irwin's documentaries were shown around the world

He was famous for handling dangerous creatures such as crocodiles, snakes and spiders, and his documentaries on his work with crocodiles drew a worldwide audience.

But he also courted controversy with a series of stunts.

He sparked outrage across Australia after cradling his one-month-old son a metre away from the reptile during a show at Australia Zoo.

A probe was also launched to investigate whether Mr Irwin and his team interacted too closely with penguins and whales while filming in the Antarctic, but no action was taken.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer praised Mr Irwin for his work to promote Australia.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," Mr Downer's spokesman said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use the form below to send us your tributes to Steve Irwin, some of which may be published.

I was a fan of Steve Irwin's documentaries and the news of his death came as a shock: my brother and I had seen him on TV only a few days ago. I admire what Mr Irwin did for the promotion of Australia abroad, and for the protection of wildlife overall. He surely will be missed, and my condolences and very best wishes go out to his family and to his friends.

Alex Jumpsen, Calgary, Canada

I'm an expat living in Sydney and the whole of our office is in shock. Most of the news sites in Australia have been struggling to cope this afternoon as word of his death has spread. Surely testament to a bloke who was a good old Aussie character. He will be sadly missed.

Anthony, Sydney NSW

This world will miss a brave man like Steve. My sympathy with the family and all the people associated with him.

Ali Hassanali, Sheffield, UK

He typified the Australian spirit, good an ya.

Alan Stewart, Dumfries, Scotland

What kind of man was Steve Irwin? He stopped Australian Government plans to allow rich tourists into the Northern Territory to kill crocodiles for sport. He brought the beauty of nature back to millions through his documentaries. And he showed that if you love doing something, then you should put all your passion into doing it. Nothing less. He was a nice man. A was a kind man. Perhaps, the last real man... gone.

Alan, Brisbane, Australia

Total shock, I will miss his energy on tv, I wish his family all the best.

alec grimshaw, cambridge

Whilst Steve Irwin is probably better known for his antics, the man is fundamentally someone who deeply cared about the environment, and this world. This is a sad loss for the planet, and hopefully people will remember the dedication and love he put in to his work.

Aled Moses, Singapore

It's really tragic to know that Steve Irwin will no longer be there to bring us thrilling documentaries. I'm sure he will be remembered and appreciated worldwide for his work.

Aditi, Singapore

We are really really sorry for this tragedy. We could never imagine he could end like this doing what he loved the most and what was best at. All our thoughts are with his family

Adrian, Suceava, Romania

Steve Irwin was an inspiration for many of the younger generation. He will be sadly missed. RIP.

Andrew Fergus, Auckland, New Zealand

He was killed doing what he loved best, yet another informative documentary about some of the worlds most unique wildlife. I always wondered if he'd go too far and a croc would get the better of him, but it's a sad thing to see a great guy go. At least he went out at the top.

Alex, Northampton, UK

Very sad to hear that a good-hearted man has died. He was very well liked by everyone and brought a better understanding of wild animals to the world. For some reason, I feel a strange personal feeling of loss at his death.

Ali Qazi, El Dorado Hills, Calif. USA

It's really shock news to hear. Steve Irwin sudden death is a big loss to the people of the whole World.

Amogh.B, Bangalore, INDIA

As an active member of PETA, I praise Steve Irwin in his efforts to save wildlife. He was an outstanding, intuitive, brave man and will be sadly missed. He has a wonderful wife and two lovely children left behind, but he was living the life he loved and made a difference. he was at times controversial, but changed the way many things are done, so we thank him for that.

amelia bentley, vancouver, Canada

You will be sadly missed. You brought wildlife into our households, not by some stuffy old presenter, but through great humour and fun. My kids will miss you.

Andre van Straaten, East London, South Africa

Nice and lovely guy, I'll miss you.

Andrea Fattinnanzi, Rome Italy

It is really sad to hear about the death of Mr. Irwin. He proved his mettle while filming the famous show "The Crocodile Hunter". With his peculiar charm and sense of duty to wild life, he attracted many a crowds. Wildlife would not be the same without him.

Ahmad R. Shahid, Islamabad / Pakistan

This is a great loss to all, my deepest heartfelt wishes go out to Steve's family.

Andrew A'Barrow, Poole Dorset

An amazing man, special. my condolences to his family

Angus Macdonald, Cardiff UK

My condolences to Steve's family over such a huge loss. Steve's videos were extremely beneficial for use in teaching students about different animals and places around the world. He made learning fun for my students and many others. He will be sorely missed. He was a trailblazer and opened the world to many people. Thanks Steve !!!

Austin Sloan, Spokane, Washington

It is sad to read about the untimely demise of Steve Irwin. He was a person who brought awareness from a true conservationist's point about the diversity and importance of the various creatures this planet supports to a whole generation. Deep felt condolences to his family and the people dear to him.

arun, memphis, Tn

Name

Your E-mail address
#17 Old 09-04-2006, 01:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Already posted. See the following thread: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=59923

*this space not for sale*
#18 Old 09-04-2006, 01:58 AM
Banned

He lived every minute. It beats sitting on the sidelines watching life pass you by. You go, Mate!
#19 Old 09-04-2006, 04:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Plastic Straw View Post

Unfortunate, but not all that unexpected. His luck finally ran out.

Indeed. It's a shame that he died but after seeing him dangle his baby in front of a croc a while back, I thought it was just a matter of time before he died doing something stupid.

It's a bit weird how he died because stingrays are not normally prone to aggression unless they are provoked or scared, they tend to hide just under the sand in the water and usually scurry away as soon as they're disturbed. As he was supposedly making a doco at the time, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a barb in the chest because he kept annoying it.
#20 Old 09-04-2006, 06:55 AM
Veggie Regular

He will be so missed!

Not only was he entertaining to watch, but he did alot for the animals and I really repected him for that!

I loved his enthusiasm for the animals he worked with
#21 Old 09-04-2006, 07:01 AM
Veggie Regular

This is probably the only time I have cried over the death of a TV icon. He will be missed. He did many great things for the animals of Australia and he promoted the conservation of the land and the creatures that inhabit it. RIP mate!
#22 Old 09-04-2006, 07:14 AM
Veggie Regular

RIP steve! you died doing what you adored.
#23 Old 09-04-2006, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

#24 Old 09-04-2006, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh my gosh. I can't say I'm truly surprised, given the risks he took daily, but I am surprised it was a stingray attack. I was expecting to hear that he miscalculated with a croc.
#25 Old 09-04-2006, 08:17 AM

Terribly sad - he may or may not have been over-the-top, but you can't say he wasn't passionate about animals and Australia's environment.
#26 Old 09-04-2006, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

#27 Old 09-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah that sucks, i just read about it.. he was a cool guy.

Why isnt this in the news forum? it shows it was closed there but then you cant find where they said it was already posted.. so i found this one.
#28 Old 09-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

So sad...His wonderfully funny (but to him serious) antics will be missed...May God bless his family......
#29 Old 09-04-2006, 09:14 AM
Banned

One report says it (stingray barb) went right threw is chest and into his heart.

Just goes to prove that old adage"

"Don't fool with Mother Nature"

RIP

Crikey!
#30 Old 09-04-2006, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I was very saddened by this news. He was crazy, but he did his best to educate people. Anyone who wants to help animals in ok in my book and he will be missed. I feel so bad for his wife and children...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page