My Favorite Local Band - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-05-2006, 02:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Tell us about your favorite LOCAL band. The band you make a point to go see at the bar. The band that's on the brink (or over the edge) of stardom.

CITY:

STATE/PROVINCE/WHATEVER:

BAND:

MUSICAL STYLE:

OTHER COOL FACTOIDS:

WHY YOU DIG 'EM SO MUCH! :

Nec Aspera Terrent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-05-2006, 02:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Okay, I'll start. I really just started this thread so I could brag about my friends.

I just got home from the Technical Difficulties Film Festival at the Palace. They showed the video for "Mr. Quiet" which is classic slasher bad acting goriness with a rock video mixed in. A clip of the video appears in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". Then we got to see the new documentary they shot with Derek Frey (more below) of their trip to London, where they played at the after party for the London priemiere, the wrap party for "Corpse Bride", and Dublin Castle. Tim Burton is a fan. Then they showed the world premiere of their new video "Jimmy". It was so cool, cuz I knew most of the people in all of the videos. Their lead guitarist, Trever, was my musical director when I directed "Hedwig and the Angry Inch", and the lead singer, RaVani, played "Yitzak". At one point in the London video, Trever was wearing the "Hedwig" t-shirt that I designed!!

Anyway...

CITY: Hilo

STATE/PROVINCE/WHATEVER: Hawaii

BAND: Technical Difficulties

MUSICAL STYLE: Frog Rock

OTHER COOL FACTOIDS: Trever manages the local used CD store. RaVanni once played "Johanna" in a local production of "Sweeney Todd". The rest of the lineup changes on a semi-regular basis...

WHY YOU DIG 'EM SO MUCH! : These guys are incredible! They put on an amazing live show, and are so much fun to dance to! Plus they're good friends. You should totally check out their website, it has lots of mp3's and links to their videos (broadband recommended). All of their recent videos were directed by Derek Frey, and indie director who was shooting for Tim Burton on "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and got their video "Mr. Quiet" into the film (you can see it on the television in the background when one of the kids finds his golden ticket). I can't wait to see them hit it big!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#3 Old 01-05-2006, 06:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Old But Still Amusing Promo Shot of the Menus

Cincy Enquirer Article Re:

CITY: Cincinnati

STATE/PROVINCE/WHATEVER: Ohio

BAND: The Menus

MUSICAL STYLE: Um, well.... a good deal of 70's covers, Blood Sweat & Tears, Looking Glass, etc.

OTHER COOL FACTOIDS: The lead singer often skateboards through the crowd on his hands.

WHY YOU DIG 'EM SO MUCH! : Even though I'm not in Ohio anymore, I still miss going to see this band. They played a lot of fun songs that everyone could sing along to, and their energy is amazing. It was one of those things that if the Menus were in town, you knew you were gonna have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-05-2006, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Columbus has too many to list, and many of our most famous bolt for cities with better art scenes (RJD2, Tim Easton), but here're a few of my current favorites:

BAND: Moviola

MUSICAL STYLE: Americana

WHY YOU DIG 'EM SO MUCH! : Amazing songwriting, beautiful harmonies, all members write and sing, they leave the rough edges on.

BAND: Blueprint

MUSICAL STYLE: Rap

OTHER COOL FACTOIDS: Also performs in the groups Greenhouse Effect and Soul Position. Has worked with loads of great underground artisits: RJD2, Vast Aire, Aesop Rock, Illogic, Atmosphere.

WHY YOU DIG 'EM SO MUCH! : Amazing producer, good rapper.

BAND: Envelope

MUSICAL STYLE: Rap

WHY YOU DIG 'EM SO MUCH! : Fun, autobiographical, political rapper. Unique subject matter--raps about being a bicycle messenger, going bald, etc. Makes fun of rap cliches.
#5 Old 01-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Bumping this thread, cuz I really want people to check out TD's videos!! Mr. Quiet and Briny Deep are both pretty damn cool for a local band!!!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#6 Old 01-07-2006, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Great, it seems the links on the site are broken. Here's the links to the three vids I really like:

Mr. Quiet

Briny Deep

Jungle

Nec Aspera Terrent
#7 Old 01-07-2006, 03:36 AM

CITY: Flagstaff

STATE/PROVINCE/WHATEVER: Arizona

BAND: Mercy Fall

MUSICAL STYLE: Alternative rock?

OTHER COOL FACTOIDS: Jeff and Kieran(sp) are veg, or were, I think, last time I saw them.

WHY YOU DIG 'EM SO MUCH! : A. MAZ. ING. The singer has a voice like you wouldn't believe. If god sang the universe into existance, that's what he sounded like. Their music is new fresh. When you listen to music of the same genre for a while, you learn what to expect, like a mathematical equation, it's all calculated and is the same. Their music isn't. Somehow it breaks out of the equation without missing anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page