VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   The Entertainment Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/18-entertainment-forum/)
-   -   To all you American Idol junkies *SPOILERS* (merged) (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/18-entertainment-forum/43596-all-you-american-idol-junkies-spoilers-merged.html)

ceryna 02-04-2003 07:20 PM

Okay, I admit it, this is my guilty pleasure.

I don't watch much television, aside from Alias and Trading Spaces, and I generally stay away from the trendy reality show type programming, but for some reason, I bought into the hype on this one.

There's a lovely lady by the name of Frenchie that I'm rooting for. She's got an amazing, powerful voice, and seems like such an inspiring person (from the little I've seen of her). I hope she goes all the way to the final ten, at the very least.

Is anyone else watching? If so, who are you rooting for?

GhostUser 02-04-2003 07:22 PM

I watched the first one. There were several along the way that I thought were way better than Nikkie Taylor. But Nikkie got all the way to the very last of the finals. And I thought she was basically talentless. So, needless to say, I haven't watched the second one at all.

ceryna 02-04-2003 07:31 PM

take more than appearance into consideration.

Some of the contestants do not meet society's standards of attractiveness. Despite that, they are incredibly talented individuals, and I hope that they get a fair chance with the voting public.

GhostUser 02-04-2003 08:39 PM

I hope so too. I was secretly longing to be one of them every time I watched. Too bad they don't have one for older folks like me

Skylark 02-04-2003 08:55 PM

AARP Idol... Well, that's not for Ruthie for a good half a century yet. (PLEASE take no offence Ruthie!)

Thalia 02-05-2003 08:30 AM

I watch. I love. right on about Nikki. She sang off key regularly. It was painful to listen to.

I don't believe that Julia and that other girl are now friends. That blonde girl is a good singer, but I can't root for her after dissing Julia. I like Frenchie, too.

1vegan 02-06-2003 06:12 AM

We have that over here to, but I dont watch it.

The group that got to the end of the show entered the top 100 at number one.

Then the people of a talkshow/cabaretshow said that it was a dumb, lousy song and that they could do the same. (create a hype and sell lots of records)

So they made a song one day fly and also entered the chart at no 1.

Verbivore 02-06-2003 09:03 AM

I didn't watch it last summer but I'm addicted to it now. I almost voted for Kimberly this week because she was the most talented. But then I remembered how last week she went out and partied the night before her and Julia's group performed. so I voted for Julia. Frenchie rules because she's talented AND she takes the competition seriously. Simon can be a jerk but sometimes he's right, especially during the first round of auditions. How could anybody be that bad and not know it? The music industry is a tough business and you have to work hard.

Thalia 02-06-2003 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Verbivore

I didn't watch it last summer but I'm addicted to it now. I almost voted for Kimberly this week because she was the most talented. But then I remembered how last week she went out and partied the night before her and Julia's group performed. so I voted for Julia.

I think that is why Julia beat out Kimberly even thouh Kim is very, very good. Teaches her not to be such a meanie.

ceryna 02-06-2003 03:27 PM

but I've been referring to Kim as the "Evil Barbie", since I didn't really like the way she behaved towards Julia, and because, honestly, I just don't really like her that much. ^^;;

I'm really sort of indifferent to Julia and Charles, honestly. I don't dislike them, but they aren't really my favorites.

I wonder if the judges will pick Kim as one of the Wild Cards, though? They all seemed to like her.

BigWaxJesus 02-08-2003 11:00 PM

There's a 22 year old girl from my hometown that's going to be on this coming Tuesday. She's adorable; she's so little and young looking, she looks like she's about 12. There was an article in our paper about her today, and she said she might sing a Janis Joplin song.

LadyFaile 02-09-2003 04:46 PM

i missed the last episode, i couldn't remember when it was on, so i've only seen the auditions.

"no one else in the world sings like you"

"oh thank you!"

"no, that's not a good thing"

hehehe. i like Simon's sense of humour, but i agree he's too harsh sometimes. my favourite audition though was one girl who messed up her song and they said no way. so she begged for another chance and they said no cause it's unfair to others, and she just started singing anyway and wouldn't stop til they told her she was in.

Verbivore 02-12-2003 10:57 AM

Frenchie booted for working for an adult Web site.

I don't think that's fair. Fox kept Sarah on Joe Millionaire after they found out she appeared in bondage flicks.

Thalia 02-12-2003 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Verbivore

Frenchie booted for working for an adult Web site.

I don't think that's fair. Fox kept Sarah on Joe Millionaire after they found out she appeared in bondage flicks.

I have a feeling maybe Simon was afraid she'd win. He already said he doesn't like her "image". I hope they have done similar background checks on everyone else.

ceryna 02-12-2003 11:44 AM

That's terribly disappointing. >_<

I was really hoping she'd go all the way.

Thalia, that's an interesting point about Simon. It makes sense.

GhostUser 03-22-2003 11:17 AM

I'm almost embarassed to admit that I'm hooked.

Has anybody else been watching it? What are your thoughts on the finalists? I was pissed that Vanessa Olivarez was voted off. Aside from "I don't need a last name if I'm a star" Trenyce, she was the only female contestant who seemed interesting.

Anyone else watch it?

Verbivore 03-22-2003 01:12 PM

I miss Keith. "Like a viiiiiirgin..." Hee!

I vote for Clay about a million times every week. IMO Julia, Corey and Carmen shouldn't even have made to the top 12. Charles was mediocre but I was mad about Vanessa being voted off. My guess is that a large number of voters value image over talent.

Disco next week - should be interesting!

GhostUser 03-23-2003 07:30 AM

I think Julia is a little talentless hothead. I find it funny that she pulled the same "Yeah, well who cares what you think, Simon" and turned to the audience to ask them if they liked her the way Justin had last year, which had apparently created some very negative backlash for him and that nobody's mentioned that this year.

Actually, I find that a lot of the contestants have been mouthy little snots so far this season. I guess that nobody pointed out to them that nobody likes mouthy little snots.

What the heck is up with that singing gimmick that Carmen uses? I haven't figured out what it is about it that the judges would like. Sure, she's attractive, but she has no personality from what I can tell so far and that vocal thing is just bizarre.

I think I'd be comfortable at this point seeing Clay, Ruben or Trenyce ending up in the top two spots. I don't know about the others. Things will change as the show progresses, too. I anticipate that Clay won't be taking too many steps backwards, though.

Michael 03-25-2003 06:22 AM

Free American Idol book for taking the quiz...

http://www.herbalessences.com/idol/trivia.asp

Here are the answers...

1.Kelly

2.All of above

3.Tomato

4.Pure Color

5.Yes Yes Yes

Verbivore 03-27-2003 11:10 AM

Tuesday night's show wasn't very good, probably because few of their voices are suited for country rock. I liked Josh's voice better when he was a pop singer. [tiny voice]I like country music[/tiny voice] but Josh is such a poseur now.

I was happy for Julia because she looked so relieved to finally be voted off.

ETA that the Mustang ad with Josh and Walmart Barbie was kinda skeevy, especially because Josh is a married man.

ceryna 03-27-2003 02:17 PM

I was surprised to see Kimberly Caldwell crying over Julia's departure, as I thought those two had something of a rivalry going.

Then again, perhaps she was just relieved that she'd not been voted off. I was also surprised to see her in the bottom three...I thought she was really popular, although I don't care for her very much, myself.

I am really rooting for Clay Aiken...I think he's just awesome. Ruben Studdard and Kimberly Locke also have stunning voices...but Clay just seems like a total sweetheart with a magical voice. *^-^*

GhostUser 03-29-2003 07:09 AM

I imagine that Kimberly Caldwell was completely relieved in some ways. Word is that they apparently kissed and made up at some point and became friends. I dunno.

I was surprised to see her there, too.I'm not a fan of hers, but I thought that she was popular, too.

I think that if Carmen wasn't as attractive as she is that she'd be one of the next voted off. They can take Corey, too, as far as I'm concerned.

Verbivore 04-04-2003 04:15 PM

All aboard the Clay Train! I'm listening to an mp3 of him singing "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me" and his voice is making me melt.

Clay? My sister is still single, and she likes musician guys. Go marry her, please.

VealPrincess 04-04-2003 10:04 PM

oh, he is the new hottie from hell, that boy.

for serious. he's a cutie.

VealPrincess 04-04-2003 10:06 PM

oh yeah, and his voice isn't shabby either.

Verbivore 04-06-2003 12:13 AM

From what I've seen on the internet, Clay's fan base is bigger and more vocal than that of any other contestant. Ruben will be the other half of the top 2, but I don't get it, because he sounds the same every week. Clay's performance was incredible last week - he held that last note out for at least 12 seconds. I can't tell if Simon is really losing faith in him or if he's just trying to get Clay's fans riled up.

VP, isn't there a Canadian version of this show? Do you know if it's any good?

VealPrincess 04-06-2003 09:01 AM

yep there's a canadian verison.... well, there are two canadian versions kind of. theres 'popstars' which is the same sort of idea except the past two have choosen bands (i don't watch that one) and then there's going to be 'canadian idol' which isn't out yet and, like all canadian tv, will probably be a bit less snazzy than the american counterpart, but i guess we'll have to wait and see!

Thalia 04-06-2003 11:15 AM

I am not crazy about any of them this year. I kind of agree with Simon that the performances leave something to be desired.

CaptainSwab 04-06-2003 02:03 PM

Clay is hot. He and Rubun are my favorites. Does anyone know who got voted off last week? I missed it.....

WonderRandy 04-06-2003 02:28 PM

Well, since Corey got kicked off the show cuz of the assault charges, they didn't vote off anyone this time. I was dissappointed... I kinda wanted to see Trenyce go away...